2019 FSU

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, there you go. Congrats.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do not think we deserved a one seed. Regardless UCLA beat us handily earlier in the year and I do not think we match up well with them, if we get that far.

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think you're underestimating just how damn good Zuikka was. When you've got the best defender in the country, or if not, damn close, your entire team shape can change. Everybody is just that much freer to attack.

That, I think Nighswonger is rubbish out on the wing against even half decent competition. She may be great against mid-major competition but her inability to make a decent, consistent cross really hurt FSU. Petersen ignored her and gave her acres of space, kind of like leaving Jack White or Tre Jones alone for the 3 when you play Duke in hoops. You only give that much space to someone you can completely disregard.

ping repped this.
  4. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Not sure i get the Kuikka part.

5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I certainly wouldn't favor us to win the natty. In fact, I give UCLA a 55/45 chance of advancing over us.
    Being at home certainly helps.

That said, Mark is one of (if not) THE BEST in the country at peaking his team.
    Yes we miss Kuikka. No crying over spilled milk.
    With Carle back after Canadian NT duty, we should be at as strong as we've been this season.
    We absolutely need to take advantage of scoring opportunities.
    Heck in our recent game against UVA, we dominated possession without Carle. She is a superior defender and better coming out of the back to produce offense (ask Stanford) than Abby Newton.

A man can hope.
    We have holes to be sure (defending set pieces) and our wide mids are not as good as last year.
    So only time will tell. I trust Mark to have us playing our best soccer.

6. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    #681 Number007, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Possession is a very overrated stat in isolation. I think UVA would be a better team if they ceded possession a little but more. They can counter at speed with the players they have and that is much easier in College soccer than trying to pass your way thru two banks of four. Just look at how hard FSU find trying to do that with some of the most creative players in the game.

If I coached vs FSU the key is to let them have the ball in non threatening areas...try and Draw Berkeley forward with the ball trying to break lines off the dribble then hit hard on the counter.

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    As you have pointed out on numerous occasions, our WMFers are not as dangerous as last year's bunch. We also do not have Dallas Dorosy up top to punish back line defenders from venturing too far up the field.
    With a more complete roster (5 missing or partially healthy players), I'd take our possession and beat your counter attack more often than not.
    Next year, we should have Lynch back at full speed. She was a dangerous WMFer. Gloriana left for personal reasons. Not pacy, but very skilled on the ball and attacked the edges effectively. Clara Robbins is dangerous, but wearing a knee brace and not at 100%. Will be a better WMFer next year. LeiLani a pacy freshman who is hugely affected by Knee surgery. Lastly, Emily Madril would make a huge upgrade at CB over the freshman Payne.
    That would allow Payne to play at an attacking role (WMF vs F) like she does for Ireland.
    Lastly, Jodi Brown the Jamaican NTer looks to be a pacy 9. So despite losing Deyna, which allows Jenna to move inside next to Yujie, our offense could/should be much more dangerous. The problem you pointed out of not attacking the edges should be solved.

Of course 2 or 3 key knee injuries between now and then could change everything.
    We'll see. The point is, UVA are not the only ones affected by injury. Our whole season has been decimated by it.
    Good luck at CC.

VictoryCB repped this.
  8. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are people's thoughts on how the bracket sets up for FSU?

I don't know anything about the game Brown plays, beyond their record. I'd be happy to avoid USF in the third round as they were physical bordering on dirty in the match last year.

I'd give us about even odds against UCLA in Tallahassee where things stand now. Maybe UCLA as a slight favorite. I think Stanford takes the matchup if FSU gets that far. FSU just hasn't been dangerous enough in possession and don't expect Stanford to have the same problem against our backline.

This team has weaknesses as we see above, but plenty of talent to put big games together and tough to count them out with the way they can control the ball through the midfield and backline. Here's to hoping Zhao steps up to the occasion as well... I think she's got plenty more to show.

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Our wide MFers just aren't as dangerous as last year.

VictoryCB repped this.
  10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    https://www.tomahawknation.com/2019...uth-alabama-to-advance-in-the-ncaa-tournament

Here's the big take away IMO.
    "Tactically the Noles made an important adjustment in this game. FSU switched Gabby Carle and Abbey Newton on the right side. Coach Mark Krikorian moved Carle from her usual right back position placing her up the field in an attacking position on the right wing. Meanwhile Newton was moved from her usual spot on the right wing into Carle’s old place at right back. Also, Clara Robbins was inserted into the starting lineup on the left wing in place of Jenna Nighswonger. This move was necessitated because the Noles simply weren’t threatening enough on the flanks with the previous personnel. It was a big reason for the loss to Virginia in the ACC Tournament. The early returns that we saw tonight were encouraging but with apologies to the Sun Belt champion Jaguars we won’t know for sure about the ultimate effectiveness of this new lineup until the Noles face tougher opposition later in the Tournament."

This makes us more dangerous offensively on the flanks, but does weaken us in the right back.
    I agree with the change, because without becoming more dangerous we were unlikely to beat UVA, UNC, UCLA and Stanford caliber opponents.
    Can we now? Don't know, but we have a better chance IMO.

VictoryCB repped this.
  11. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the move as well. Robbins is more aggressive and more dangerous than what we've seen on the left to this point. Pavlisko has not made overlapping runs much at all this year (likely to be another safety net to support the CBs on the counter... not as much of a concern a season ago) so need someone up there that can move the play forward without that support. Robbins seems happy to take on defenders and sling crosses. I like Carle as a wing as well. Just an extension of the offense she brought from the RB.

Another option may be to put Nighswonger in Zhao's spot, move Zhao out to the right wing and keep Carle in the back when you need your best backline.

Overall, this was a great opening match for the team. Complete domination of possession. A few almost highlight reel moments from Castellanos. I've been critical of Payne but she had a nice game and looked more comfortable out there. The break from playing top tier teams every week may be a welcome respite for her to get her feet under her a bit. Zhao with a lot of nice balls into the 18. Looking good!

VictoryCB and Tom81 repped this.
  12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Mark is good at making changes that give his team the best chance to win.
    I'm skeptical this will be enough, but I'm satisfied it may be the best this team has to offer.
    Next year, he can move Jenna in to where Deyna had been next to Yujie. Hopefully Emily Madril will be back 100% healthy. She'd take over either the right back position or Heather's position IMO.
    Getting Clara, Leilani and Kristina 100% healthy would make our wide attacking options much better!
    With KMac back and adding in Jody Brown (also Leilani and Makala) up top, should make us much deeper and more dangerous.
    That of course, is before we hear who gets injured.
    The problem is Stanford brings back Macario and a host of others.

13. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see it as an opportunity, besides we nullified Macario last year :)

VictoryCB repped this.
  14. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of what happens next year, one player should not be in the starting eleven and it is the first time I have ever seen Mark continually play an under performing player.

15. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    maybe Macario goes pro. Who knows. Not sure whether your team is in a better formation or just playing weaker teams.
    I agree with you. How a team does is somewhat separate from how an individual may project forward. I think FSU have a great chance vs most teams because they can keep the ball better than almost anyone

16. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm 100% satisfied we are better offensively in this formation.
    I'm also sure we are less strong in the right back.
    We'll see!
    We will need to maintain possession and make good on the
    opportunities.

17. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For people with airline miles on American and United, short-notice domestic round-trips are available for as little as 10,000 miles on American and 15,000 (I think) on United.

In my case, Grand Junction, Colorado to Raleigh, North Carolina to watch the Buffs and Tar Heels was $717 minimum, which means I’d be watching it on line. But I got the round trip for 10,000 miles on American.

Just a thought, if there are any Seminoles in far-flung locations who would like to support your team in person but can’t or don’t want to pay the high short-notice airfare.

VictoryCB repped this.
  18. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool interview with Malia from last night's Basketball game:

Crazyhorse repped this.
  19. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go noles! Onward to the bulls. Not the team I wanted to see in the sweet sixteen. I liked Pavlisko in the CB slot with Berkeley this game. That seems like a good option for trying to slow down Viens as well. I hope the bulls come in looking to play a clean game. They seem to play with a chip on their shoulder as a team.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Hard fought very physical game with USF.
    USF got an early goal on a defensive lapse
    FSU didn't equalize until the 44th minute on a beautiful wide run
    by Heather (pass from Jenna). She attempted a pass near the endline.
    It was blocked, but got the rebound and passed to a wide open Jaelin for the equalizer.
    Our second goal was by Deyna on a PK after an obvious foul committed against
    Gabby.

The ref tried to control USF's physicality with yellow cards (6 of them 1 against us), but that didn't work.
    Fouls 29 to 11 Do I have to say who had the 29?
    Shots 4 to 17 FSU
    SOGs 2 to 7 FSU.
    Corners 0 to 10 FSU.
    Despite that, and 70+% possession, it was close.

Deyna and Yujie did a marvelous job in the last 5 or so minutes wasting time in the corner and getting multiple corner kicks.

Who stood out?
    Pavlisko was dangerous coming forward and penetrating toward the middle. She also played sound defense.
    Carle was strong on the outside defensively and was very dangerous offensively, including drawing the PK.
    Kmac is marvelous catching and holding the long passes for distribution.
    Deyna and Yujie were both very dangerous with the ball.
    Jaelin got our 1st goal and had to keep her composure with all the fouls.
    Malia is always solid as a rock.

Jenna was a little off with passes and decisions. Once about 8 yards away from the R upright she elected to pass instead of unleashing a shot (she should have shot)
    Another time from about 8 yards she unleashes a shot, but doesn't get it on frame.
    We'll have to tighten up to beat UCLA.
    Elite 8 is a good run for this club IMO.

VictoryCB repped this.
  21. Lagadema

Lagadema Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Ucla still has to play and beat Wisconsin.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  22. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    You are right of course.
    I'd much rather play Wisky. Not trying to be disrespectful, but we can control the midfield against them.
    UCLA is another matter.

23. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DONE. You were saying???:coffee:

HeadSpun repped this.
  24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    2 high quality teams who can both possess, pass, defend and shoot.
    If we had Kuikka in our back line, I'd feel confident.
    As it stands, I feel reasonably hopeful!

HeadSpun and McSkillz repped this.
  25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    VictoryCB repped this.