2019 FSU

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 2, 2018.

1. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's not bad. The WPSL games are hit or miss at times due to attendance. For the players it's more about keeping sharpened.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  2. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wpsl is a nice side gig. But with all the distractions of summer it’s just a crap shoot. Most teams have different lineups every game and don’t even practice. Still good to keep the kids fit. (Downside for my kids college team is they lost a key player for the season to a broken leg in one of these games)

3. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    WPSL is definitely a nice option for collegiate players, high schoolers or recent high school grads that will be playing in college, or former collegiate players that still want an option to play that is more competitive than an adult recreational league.

Some teams do practice and for some players, even if they can't make the games, the training sessions are key for fitness and keeping sharp. I think it all depends on the tea and where the players are from. In the case of MCFC that I mentioned, it is a team composed of high-level players and of the players that I mentioned, Yujie, Malia, Jaelin, and Spaanstra, only Spaanstra is a Detroit-area resident. I can't imagine that the other players hung around during the week for training. I had two kids play WPSL and one played for a team that that only played games and the other was on a team that trained and played. It worked out well because the one that isn't as talented needs more training ended up getting it.

Injuries are a part of the game, unfortunately. I know that I was always worried about an ortho injury, concussion, etc. It can happen in collegiate games just as easily, though. It just seems to be more unfortunate when it happens outside of the college season and coaches can get upset by it. Sometimes the players are in a catch-22. The coaches want them to play in the summer and are angry if they don't. If they do play, and get injured, they're angry about that.

Glove Stinks repped this.
  4. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caught most of the second half. UF looks much improved from last year. I remember us entirely dominating possession last year. This looked much more even with a lot of chippy play.

Howell with a great run to set up Zhao for the second goal. Jeffers sent off with a red on a correct but pretty light call. Unfortunate given how otherwise hesitant the ref was to insert himself in the game. No big deal, Bollinger steps in for her first play since the ACC tourney and is up to the PK.

Anybody see the first half?

Crazyhorse repped this.
  5. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at game, UF isnt better than last year, FSU had 93 percent of possession. UF employed their usual rugby style, added in with floppers and an awful referee. Number 10 for UF is an absolute brute she purposely took Deyna out and it should of been a straight red. From my vantage Jeffers simply stepped over the girl, who ran her into way late (happened three times in the game, classy), regardless she should not of reacted. A none existent foul call led directly to UFs one goal. Noles win and that is what matters!!!

6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I saw the first half: A lot of possession by Fla. State but Florida did a good job of clogging the area in front of the box and the 'Noles couldn't create any good chances
    On the red card, the Florida player was clearly nudged from behind by a Fla. State defender as she put on the brakes in front of the 'Nole keeper, which caused her to slightly bump into Jeffers. Then, with the Gator player was on the ground, Jeffers clearly gave the opponent a couple of cheap shots--first with her knee (first) and then with her leg. They were subtle, to be sure, but cheap shots nonetheless as she could have stepped around the opponent but didn't. I saw no flopping by either team.

Fla. State, as they usually do, had most of possession but created very little in the way of scoring chances and was absolutely given its first goal with the Florida keeper's horrendous mistake. Florida is better than last year and was playing without their best player, D. Rose, who is very good.

All in all, an entertaining and spirited game.

7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks L'orange I was really far away from the play. Disagree about UF they are not better, but I know your an SEC fan ;). You are right though, FSU did their usual dance around the box and not threaten.

8. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    #433 Tom81, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    I was at the game. The referee was very uneven in his calling of fouls. He called us on many Tickytack fouls but let Florida continually push us in the back all game long. Gloriana got pushed in the back when she had a clear advantage and no yellow card. Deyna got upended in a Very dangerous way. I thought that could’ve been red.
    In their box on a couple of occasions we were pushed in ways that were called fouls when we did it to them.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets not for get the garnet and gold cheer from the Gator bench players after they scored.

10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    FSU did their best UVA impression today scoring 6 goals.
    Samford is not a great team, but they are now 2-2-2.
    They tied LSU while dominating the stat column.

We held them to "0" shots today.
    That is hard against anyone.

Just wondering where Jenna Nighswonger was today.

Val1 repped this.
  11. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Samford has dominated their conference the last few years and like you pointed out tied LSU. They are not a bad team, just young and caught FSU at a bad time. Regarding JN, we may never know :laugh:

Tom81 repped this.
  12. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doing some advanced scouting and noticed that Villanova has 39 players on their roster! That is the biggest women's college soccer roster I have ever seen.

13. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to seeing how the newly-ranked (#24) Colorado Buffaloes do against y'all Thursday. The best wins are Texas and Baylor, but neither is having quite the season so far that was expected of them. We're a good Pac-12 team, picked fifth, not at the level of the powerhouses you ran into in Los Angeles. Good defense and goalkeeping. The offense creates chances and has missed a lot of shots, haven't lit up the scoreboard yet. The Buffs can hold their own against a physical team like Baylor, but you won't get a rugby game from Colorado. There will be fouls, just because there are, but no cheap shots, the team is not coached that way. FSU "should" win, and I think it will be an entertaining and reasonably competitive game.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  14. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    39 on a roster is crazy. I couldn't imagine being one of the #22 through #39 players. Some won't ever see the field. That can't be a lot fun for them. As a point of comparison, I think that Xavier women have 37 or 38 rostered. North Central, a D3 school here in Chicago, has 53 on the men's roster! They've had similar numbers the past few years.

One of my kids is a pretty decent player but not quite at the level of her siblings. She was good enough to get D1 offers but after being honest with herself and evaluating things further, she looked at the programs that she received offers from, who was on their rosters, and the numbers on the rosters and decided that she probably wouldn't get a lot of playing time. She opted instead to attend one of the best academic schools in the country that also happens to be a D3 institution in the UAA Conference (the conference with Wash U, Chicago, Emory, Carnegie Mellon, etc). She started all but a few games throughout her collegiate career and rarely left the field. She loved her experience. She has a few friends that were similarly talented that went the D1 route. Some made big impacts and some rarely, if ever, played. Of the ones that rarely played, I can only think of one that stuck with it at the original school. Some quit and a few transferred.

This all doesn't belong in this thread and I apologize for the drift. I'm just trying to make a point and am addressing the comment about Villanova. I hope that those #22 through #39 players at Villanova are happy. I couldn't imagine being one of those players buried on the bench at a middling program. McClain is a good coach and did a great job at Ohio State but he is under a lot of pressure to elevate Villanova and won't have patience for struggling players. It looks like he has the program on the right track but the 'noles will wax them and they'll struggle in the Big East this season.

It seems that the new tact of some of the coaches hired at struggling programs is to recruit huge numbers and hope that they get the right combination. It's not a great trend but the coaches are doing what they think is necessary to win.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  15. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info derbarkasmann! I think Colorado has a chance to upset FSU, would not surprise me at all.

16. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Won an ugly game tonight in which we benefited from 2 wrongly called PKs.

Mark played a 3 back formation that I had never before seen him play.
    As 007 pointed out we don't have a great attacking forward.
    KMac is a physical poacher and cleans up things that come up around the goal, but she doesn't turn and create her own shot.
    Abby Newton has shown no turn, create and shoot ability.

To be fair, Lynch is beginning to get healthier, although I don't know that she is the answer up top. She played wide MF last year, but she can be dangerous.

Mark usually tweaks and tweaks until he gets it right, but absent that special forward, I just don't know!

Jaelin Howell has certainly stepped up her offensive game last year to this year.

If I'm Colorado, I'm pissed at the ref.
    The coaches got on the wrong side of him and unfortunately paid the price.
    I would have liked to gotten a look at Makala or even Leilani up top.

Lots of soccer left to play.

blissett and Crazyhorse repped this.
  17. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Agree. We get caught up in this but its not about who is "best". Its about who plays best at the right time. FSU have several top players as do some other schools. WE root for who we root for. FSU may win it all again, but they lack dynamism up top . The Ref had a bad game

18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I wish I could disagree with you, but I can't.
    Unless injured players like Lynch or Nesbeth can provide it, we just don't have it.
    I should add that MAYBE, Makala Thomas a lightly used player may have what is needed. Long shot, but it's a shot.

Number007 repped this.
  19. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, if you do find a player or two who can finish, look out. That was 28 shots against a pretty good defense, and the referee had nothing to do with that.

20. Brian Webb

Brian Webb Member

Aug 7, 2016
    San Marcos, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    When they are told to Absorb and Counter, look for DFK I think CU performed well. 28 Shots with most coming from well outside the box and the only scores via PK then I think that CU had a decent game plan. Think Neds versus US. Similar tactics. Plus POOR officiating put CU on their heels early with soo many YC.

I hope that the ref crew is evaluated for their performance, especially the Penalty Kicks that were called for either team.

21. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which raises a question, since I wasn't watching ... was the PK called on FSU legitimate, or was the referee perhaps trying to undo some of the damage he had already done?

Crazyhorse repped this.
  22. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    It was more legitimate than the other two, but it’s not one that I typically see called in acc play. That is just my opinion :)

Crazyhorse repped this.
  23. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The PK called for Colorado was legit. The pks called for FSU were a complete joke. Wish they could re play the game.

24. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My view was the ref wasn't particularly favoring one side or the other, he was just calling a really tight game. I could see why given e.g. the first yellow foul from CO. Game could have quickly gotten out of hand. Looks like FSU got the lucky end of the stick with where and when some of those calls came in, but the calls seemed pretty consistent. Some nonexistent or ticky tack fouls on FSU elsewhere and no calls on e.g. Berkeley clearly getting tripped in the box. Unfortunate it resulted in so many PKs, but thems the breaks in a closely called game.

25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    He actually did call the foul when Berkeley was tripped from behind, but it should’ve been a yellow.