2019 FSU

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Not one to let grass grow under my feet.
    Fresh off our second natty thanks to a gritty team, let's take a look
    at 2019.

Key losses:
    Nat Kuikka super stud CB and mistake eraser
    Kaycie Tillman under rated WMFer who is very clever with the ball.
    Dallas Dorosy aka Carolina Killer. Really came on at tourney time. Great pace.
    Olivia Bergau Tough kid. Played key minutes and was effective. Good soccer IQ.
    Megan Connolly 4 year contributor very dangerous with crosses and shots. Good kid.
    Macayla Edwards Good backup who was injured early this year. Too bad for her.
    Alexa Orrante Grad transfer who got playing time in quite a few times. Graduates with a natty.

Key returners:
    Brooke Bollinger GK with a high ceiling Soph
    Caroline Jeffers GK who proved up to the task after initially faltering in ACC tourney. Senior
    Kristina Lynch WMFer injured late in year. Showed glimpses of brilliance mixed in with some
    freshman learning moments. Soph assuming fully recovered
    Anna Patten A defender slash midfielder who improved significantly years 1 to 2. She was part of play that
    lead to our winning natty goal. She deked a UNC defender and slipped a nice pass to Tillman, who then connected to DC and the rest is Nole history! Junior
    Jaelin Howell Holing MFer extraordinaire who IMO should be 1st AA next preseason. Big reason our midfield made a huge improvement this year. Soph
    Kirsten Pavlisko Freshman Full back who has excellent pace. She played admirably this year considering the jump from high school to the best college competition. I expect an Anna Patten like improvement year 2 vs year 1. Soph
    Deyna Castellanos * It's possible she goes pro* If not she brings a skill and soccer IQ rarely seen in college players. She made a perfect pass for the Dorosy's game winner. She makes a frequent habit of perfect passes. She's great and allows other players to make big plays. She kept her ego in check. Senior
    Gloriana Villalobos Midfielder with attacking mentality and the ball skills to do it. Looking forward to year 3 version of GV. Junior
    Gabby Carle stud fullback with attacking mentality and ball skills to match. Improved her crosses this year versus year 1 and made one of the most important goals of the year against Stanford. Junior
    Malia Berkely CB with great size, ball skills for a defender and cannon of a leg. Expect even more improvement year 3. Junior
    Kristen McFarland Forward with great size. Good one touch player and battler in a scrum. Not great 1v1 skills, but expect improvement. Junior
    Emily Madril Missed season with injury. Was a stud fullback as Fr. Has size, ball skills, toughness and pace. I'm guessing Mark puts her in Kuikka's spot. Soph
    Clara Robbins Missed most of year with injury. WMFer with decent skills, good leg and decent pace. If injury rehabs in time, she may make a step forward as a Junior
    Yujie Zhao Dynamic attacking MFer with superior ball skills. Still learning American physicality, but should be even better next year. Soph
    Macayla Thomas, Bella Dorosy and Taylor Hallmon will look to make their way into the rotation.

Known freshmen
    Alexandra Kalayjian Female NY D 2019 Sky Blue - PDA/Somers

Florida State
    Leilanni Nesbeth Female EN F 2019 Brighton & Hove Albion

Florida State
    Jenna Nighswonger Female CA MF 2019 Slammers FC/Huntington Beach

Florida State
    Taylor Radecki Female FL D 2019 Florida Elite Soccer Academy/Bartram Trail (St. Johns)

Nighswonger is US player with age group NT experience. Considered top 25 recruit.
    Nesbeth is from Bahamas and was their age group star.
    The other two I don't know much about.
    Mark frequently has another international sequestered away.

Summary: Future's bright!
    If someone fills the pace forward slot with skill, then look out.

VictoryCB and blissett repped this.
  2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another incoming freshmen is Paige LaBerge, a 5'10 forward from Manchester, New Hampshire. Her parents played college ball at the same school Coach K coached at in the 1990's, Franklin Pierce University, there must be a connection.

VictoryCB repped this.
  3. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Congratulations to the 2018 national champs. :thumbsup:

blissett, Crazyhorse and Tom81 repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am mildy interested in Castellanos' career since the moment I've seen her play at U-17 WWC 2014, her break-out tournament (and it struck me that later she even made FIFA Ballon d'Or shortlist ahead of time).

Do you think she would be ready to go pro? How do you see her career from now on? How many years of college she could still have at max? One?

5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    1 year left in college IF she decides to come back.
    I don't know where she is educationally, but having a degree to fall back on
    (injuries) is very valuable, at least here in the states.
    I know she considered going pro last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if she declared this year.
    Of course, as a Nole fan, I hope she comes back! She offers a skill and mind to the game that is phenomenal!
    She's done a really good job of blending her talent and not putting her stats above the good of the team.

blissett repped this.
  6. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Im not sure how DC would fit in the NWSL. I have a feeling not well. Much better suited to Europe.

7. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a stretch to say she wouldn't fit in well in NWSL. I do think she'll end up in Europe though. Opportunity for more international exposure and possibly more lucrative contracts as well.

8. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm just hoping she waits another year to do that.
    We Nole fans sometimes get spoiled because she makes the occasional highlight reel shot.
    Those are great, but IMO, her greater value lies in other areas.
    1. She reads the field and makes the proper pass 90% of the time. Knowing when and where to pass is a skill that is rare indeed. Being able to execute it as frequently as she does is amazing.
    2. She draws the defense leaving others open. The last goal against UNC in the ACC tournament was an example. Dallas is making a right end line run for a cross. DC is 5 yards from the goal on the near side. 2 UNC defenders blanket her while Kristina Lynch slices in from the backside unnoticed and unchecked, for an easy conversion.
    3. She is still not a defensive stud ala Dagny Brynjarsdottir (14 CC team), but she has steadily improved in that area.
    4. She doesn't demand to be fed the ball to stuff her stat sheet. Kudos for keeping her ego in check. 1.2 million twitter or is it instagram followers. I can't imagine dealing with that at such a young age.
    It must also be pointed out that her native country of Venezuela is in huge turmoil and I don't know what that might mean to her family. Talk about a burden!

Come back for one more year Deyna:thumbsup::)

9. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    PLUSES High soccer IQ. Great technique. Winner
    MINUSES Questionable motor, No clear position at the next level.

Great College player with the sub rules as they are.

10. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great rundown! I am curious where Madril slides into the lineup as well. I could see her taking a WMF rotation slot or starting over Pavlisko in the back as well. I'd thought Patten might be an option to take over duties from Kuikka but not sure she has enough pace / quickness for what Mark wants to do back there. Kuikka will be missed. She made her job look easy and always seemed to make good decisions. Agreed on Tillman as well. Really well-rounded player, especially in a possession system. I expect (hope?) that McFarland is displaced from the starting line up as well (not to sound harsh). I was surprised she continued to get so much run late into the season. Yeah, she's willing to battle but doesn't seem to add a whole lot else. Her first touch is surprisingly poor, often leading to turnovers rather than opportunities. I hope a better option presents itself next year (herself included if there's improvement to be had!)

The combo of Zhao, Deyna, and Howell is formidable. It lifted the midfield from a weakness last year to one of the best in the country and enough to carry to a national title this year. I was never too down on some of the disappointing results this year, because FSU was doing what they wanted, just not finding the back of the net. If you have the foundation to control the run of play and possess and have a few quality options up top to feed, the goals will come. If Deyna returns, I expect more of the same ability to dictate play in almost every game. That's a luxury that gives Mark a lot of options on how to approach the attacking third depending on the skillset up top. Agreed, the future looks bright!

11. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was very impressed with Pavlisko this season, I think she will again start next season, but perhaps at WMF were Tillman was and Madril takes her spot in the back, or Pavlisko stays put and Madril moves to the midfield? Nighswonger comes in and seems to be a scoring threat from what I have read so she could factor into the midfield as well.

Lagadema repped this.
  12. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read recently she mentioned Spain as a possible pro destination.

blissett repped this.
  13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    sweeps We agree on almost everything.
    I still believe Mark will simply insert Madril into Kuikka's position. She has size, athleticism, ball skills and good speed, not sure if she's as fast as Kuikka, but not far off if memory serves.
    I expect an improvement in Pav sorta' like I saw in Patten this year.
    Patten too slow to take over for Kuikka IMO.
    The 2 biggest questions going into next year is who we have up top in place of Dorosy? Does Deyna come back.
    Even without Deyna, we will be formidable.
    I thought Villalobos out wide was more consistently dangerous than Lynch was.
    The problem for Lynch will be her rehab will rob her of time to get better. Too bad, because she does have excellent potential!

We may have to wait all the way to August to see if Mark has another Zhao that we are not aware of.
    We can hope, because as you said, KMac is just not good enough on ball to be our starting Forward.
    If we don't get that pace forward, I could see Mark putting Gloriana or Yujie up top because of their 1 v 1 balls skills!
    Is it possible either B Dorosy or Thomas will be good enough to fill the pace role?

If our 14 team played our 18 team, I take 14 because of the difference in skill and pace Cheyna brought. That and Dagny was a killer offensively and defensively.

For 18 to win this natty with so many injuries may be their greatest achievement.

VictoryCB repped this.
  14. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Clara Robbins is able to come back from her injuries 100%. She is a very good player, but has missed almost two full seasons. As recently as last spring she was invited to a U19 US team camp.

15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Yes, Clara has good potential if she can get and stay healthy.
    Lynch and Bollinger coming back from injury will give us a lot of
    strength.

VictoryCB repped this.
  16. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    A highly respected NWSL draft consultant is projecting the entire FSU team to be drafted in the first round with huge signing bonuses. All these players should grab the opportunity now. College can wait.

blissett and Tom81 repped this.
  17. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    A frequent poster on Warchants sports message board which includes a soccer thread started by yours truly attended the celebration Monday afternoon.
    He had some nice pictures to share. Then he said the following re: Castellanos

"It was an exuberant moment and I'm a nobody but I asked Deyna directly and she said she was definitely coming back. Gloriana was with her and acted really positive too but who knows with young people these days not to mention young people who are national celebrities?"

I believe this poster has always been reliable. That said, are girls that age reliable? Sounds promising.

VictoryCB and blissett repped this.
  19. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Apparently Caroline Jeffers is leaving because in every senior event, including a video today posted on facebook, She joins the other seniors.
    We'll need at least one backup keeper.
    This year proved that.

20. USFSU

USFSU Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Well, you could weigh in that her on-the-spot decision could be weighed favorably by the exuberance of just winning the national title and all that comes with it, and once that wanes maybe her mind would change.

But IMO, the year of the Women's World Cup when you play for a nation that isn't participating isn't the best time to leave. Though I'm guessing she'll be called on to provide comments about it?

If she's enjoying her time in Tally and becoming a better player while there, which she's said many times for both, why would she leave?

21. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Are you sure that's all?

22. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I’m not sure of anything

23. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a recent article Jeffers was said to have not decided yet.

24. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You all lost me? What does this mean?

25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    CH I don't know either.
    I made a statement PREFACED by the disclaimer APPARENTLY, that CJ must be leaving/graduating, not coming back.
    I only base this on her participation in senior day activities and post championship video devoted to the seniors.

Of course she could change her mind. Jukes may know something different, but hasn't shared it.
    I was just pointing out we need another goalie in that case.

On a side note, I was thinking who would serve well as an emergency GKer if we needed it. Malia Berkely came to mind. Just sayin'!