2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 12, 2019.

1. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Wow. Mexico scored in added time, then concede in added time.

UniversalAdvice and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Efra has been good coming off the bench for El Tri. A shame the USA let him go.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Mexico will be fine. 4 points should be enough to get through and barring a historic collapse they won’t lose to the Solomon Islands

4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    fixed.

Also, did anway say it? I will.

Italy win Udogie style at the tail end of the match.

5. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    The way things fell in the other groups, if we win we go through (basically if we don't, we don't).

I ran some sims using the assumptions that all the remaining games are evenly matched and goals are distributed by a Poisson process informed by the 24 games played thus far.

Says for the USA:
    Advance as 2nd place in Group D: 1.5% of the time.
    Advance as 3rd place in Group D with 4 points and Top 4 finish of 3rd place teams 37.4% of the time.
    Advance as 3rd place in Group D with 2 points and Top 4 finish of 3rd place teams 1.3% of the time.
    Eliminated with 2 points, 5th or 6th of 3rd place teams: 20.8% of the time.
    Eliminated as 4th place in Group D: 39.0% of the time

The 1.5% of coming in 2nd is probably overstated as Japan will play for 0-0 draw, or be satisfied with a 1-0 loss even, while this assumes they don't know where they stand.

eneste and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  6. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #106 Sebsasour, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    The only way we can advance with 2 points is if the following 3 things happen. Canada and New Zealand tie, Nigeria beats Australia and Ecuador beats Hungary.

All of those are very possible on their own, but banking on all 3 is a long shot. Luckily the all happen before our game, so we'll know exactly what we need.

If we do get out as a third place finisher, it would likely come at the expense of group A, B or E. That would mean Nigeria in the Round of 16. In the unlikely event of the Group C team being eliminated, then we're probably facing Brazil (this assumes that Nigeria and Brazil top their groups)

butters59, don Lamb and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  7. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Just watching this game yesterday I was not impressed with Efra. He clearly has a poor work rate but most of the time he does something offensively to counter that. Yesterday, he was spraying the ball all over the place and counted at least 4 clear turnovers before I stopped counting. I get he is the wonderkid but he was poor yesterday for the most part.

He popped up in the right place at the right time late in the game, beat a player, got a fortunate deflection back to his foot when dribbling and scored. Other than that, he was non impactful.

Was also surprised Mexico does not think enough of him to start him. He signed a pro deal at 15, is on the LAG first team and he comes off the bench for a U17 team. A friend I texted that fact to responded that, "well, just shows you how little respect MLS gets."

8. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I think at this point Efra's athletic and fitness limitations are well documented and they believe he has his biggest impact late in the game. If you start him, he's spent by the 55 minute mark.

9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #109 David Kerr, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    If USA win tomorrow and assuming South Korea who sits at 3 points doesn't fall out of the top four then we will end up playing Nigeria which is almost a 100% certainty if we come in third in the group with a win tomorrow. If we end up blowing Netherlands out and jumping Japan then we will end up playing Spain. Both would make us as big of an underdog as the 20's were against France.

Most likely we will be playing Nigeria. If we win that match we will play the winners of the game between the runners up of groups E and F which is most likely to be Argentina and Italy. From there the other side of the tree is looking like it will be Chile/South Korea, Angola, Senegal, Tajikestan. Out of those teams the most likely to win would be Senegal. We are looking at a road of Nigeria, Argentina/Italy, and Senegal to get to the final which as of right now would be Brazil who looks like they're on another level playing in their home country

10. Diceshooter

Diceshooter New Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Atlanta
    Alvarez started the first game, and played 45 minutes the second game. That is similar to the U S with Reyna. Do you believe that the Bundesliga gets little respect as well?

Gacm32 repped this.
  11. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Alvarez is a First team player. Reyna is not.

12. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You can’t compare first-team status for the Galaxy vs. a club like Borussia Dortmund.

13. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Exactly the point. First team status in MLS not that big a deal so he is not an automatic starter for the Mexican U17 National team. If Reyna was on Dortmund roster and making game day appearances, he wouldn't be with the u17s.

Main point was Efrain does not play as much as I would expect but the post above about his fitness limitations makes sense.

14. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    It has to be more nuanced than that...

Of course just having a first team contract is not that impressive, but if he were earning more time with the Galaxy, that would mean a lot more. Anyway, whether Mexico thinks much of MLS or not, Efra holds the keys to their offense.

15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Brazil getting some very questionable calls their way. As the host nation, I guess that is to be expected.

16. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Canada goes out without a point in the tournament. Brazil goes flawless, and looks like real contenders for the title.

17. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I understand they are just kids, but how are these Canadian kids so terrible every single time they play at the u17 World Cup?

Why can't they finish their chances? I don't understand. Yes, our coach is an idiot who shouldn't be there, but why don't our players ever have "it"?

They all come from 3 MLS academies who go to tournaments all over the world. Why are they so crap?

18. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That the roster was limited to those 3 clubs without scouting for any talent outside of that probably has something to do with it. Hard to believe that wouldn't be a few kids in like Edmonton, Ottawa, or dual nationals abroad that would have made the team better. Angola and New Zealand were a soft draw so not getting a point is a terrible result.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  19. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Brazil and Italy look like the best two teams atm

20. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Japan winning the group atm with a late goal against Senegal.

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    #121 gogorath, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Let me flip it:

Why would Canada have a Top 20 team in the World?

Americans do this as well -- I'm always reminded of Rutgers College Football fans, who always act that being the "state university of New Jersey" means that they should have a Top 10 team. As if there aren't 50 states.

Aren't there way more than 30 countries with populations, interest in soccer, soccer history, etc., that make you think that they should be clearly better than Canada?

My point is that this probably isn't some mystical issue with Canadian kids.

My point is that whether it's the U17 or real World Cup, CONCACAF is easy to get in ... so it's not a shock when the US or Canadian team is sometimes outclassed by team from stronger Confederations.

Your coach may suck. Wicky may suck. But the reality just may be that the other team's kids are better.

CONCACAF hasn't impressed here.

Luksarus repped this.
  22. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Who’s playing today?

23. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    It's not about Canada having a top 20 team. It's about losing to New Zealand. It's about outplaying Angola but not being able to put them away. It's about not being able to seemingly ever instill a ruthlessness or killer instruct in the kids, cycle after cycle.

Why shouldn't Canada be better than New Zealand when you consider New Zealand's weak Oceana confederation and lack of professional infrastructure and small size? Why is that too much to ask?

24. Your almost the size of the USA with about 1/20th? the population.
    Good luck getting a good scouting operational in those circumstances.

25. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It’s going to be a good round of 16 games