2019 Dynamo Attendance Review

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Mar 18, 2019.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Chicharito is fluent in English and is a marketable player. Just throwing it out there.

nbrooks503, ElNaranja and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the level of investment needed to “flip” this market. Unfortunately, the Dynamo ownership will only pay for “Cheech Ito” a former Portuguese National U-17 player that was loaned out by Porto to Getafe and will come on a free transfer

Borrachin repped this.
  3. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Waibel is a legend because he taught Chuck Norris how to fight. And scored a brace in Mexico before that was a thing. And played RB well with all the physical qualities of a football center. And that he absolutely loved the fans and the community. It should be a crime what they've done to Bald is Beautiful.

4. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was something I mentioned to someone who came by after you left. Probably not wise to be holding one's breath for that kind of eventuality.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    agree with you that closed practices are silly, but this part is hyperbole on your part.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    13 years of history says it’s not. In 2012 I may have agreed with you but after our attempt at rebranding as Olimpia USA and attendance still dropping I think it’s not hyperbole to say these types of outreach deals won’t yield any additional fans

8. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Who knows... maybe EB gets more members? I don’t know if I have that channel, but if I do I’ll sure tune in.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They certainly have plenty of space in the North end for members. I’ve noticed the supporters groups “who brought it more” debates have ended since it doesn’t appear many people actually “bring it” anymore.

Dynam0 repped this.
  10. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    No you are factually wrong. Your sentiment is correct in that it won't generate enough new ticket purchases, but it will generate some.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are you sure? Is there some sort of promo code embedded in the video of the program to track purchases?

12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i think thats part of the problem. in the past, i dont know how well they tracked who their ticket buyers were. some teams have that down to a science. it allows you to direct your marketing dollars to your target market. its worth investing in a tracking system when you run on a budget.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is seen as a joke by so many Latino men. Or a retirement league by the fanboys. It is why big names move the needle a bit, often more on the road as one off nights over 17+ home dates and continual ticket sales at the new signee's home ground.
    Buen futbol moves the needle the most with Latinos. Beating up Latino prestigious clubs does more than a Wayne Rooney signing. Sad part is even if our FO signed Faux Ronaldo how many grown ass men stay on following our Dynamo after he retires since before he played here in H-Town these same men didn't bother to follow MLS or their local team, our historically good dudes, that play gritty for the naranja shirt they wear. Not many. It is why MLS front offices must lock in fans n supporters when they are young. Think long term.

Speaking of supporters. Yo Westie ya homeless hater!
    Honest question Westie. Leo, with all his ailments, would go to every Astro n Dynamo home game. You openly admit you don't go to Dynamo home games any more. Like avoiding the Guastatoya's of the season, meh, ok. But then you skip out on regular season matches. So my honest question is do you type the above in with a straight face? Or are you hypocritical and are ok living this way as a grown ass man??? I mean to point out attendance at BBVA when you yourself are not even in attendance. I'm laughing at you as I read this from you and I know Leo is too.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don’t like me pointing out that the supporters groups attendance at games has shrunk dramatically, fine, but that doesn’t change the fact that what I am pointing out is true. I remember when Super Sales Guy was talking about the whole north end being sold out (although never sure if it was true)

You’re going down some odd road claiming me being hypocritical because you’d rather do that than admit the supporters groups numbers at the game appear to be down. All numbers are down.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We landed on the Moon!"---Loyd Christmas from the movie Dumb and Dumber

Westie, you ought to understand that a life long fan of Houston sports teams, guys like me have witnessed our teams attendance fluctuate over the years. So it is nothing new to see attendance rise and fall for our Dynamo. You speak specifically of the supporters section. Check. Got it. Our section is full some nights and not as full others. It is what it is until our FO gets their marketing scheme up to par for all aspects of our attendance woes. Every section. So when you point fingers like you are good at, you continue to state the bread is stale. Like Loyd Christmas you are stating old news. My specific point is that anyone who actually goes to our Dynamo home games has an insight I want to hear. An outlook to respect. You, by not going these days, I don't value your insight on stale topics. Tell us something that is fresh m'kay Westie. You are on point on other topics, specifically business aspects. Attendance insight from non attendees who judge by pictures. Meh.

16. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The attendance woes are directly related to the product on the pitch, and the treatment (or lack thereof) of people who for years had invested in season tickets. While free water, $2 hotdogs, and $5 beers might very well increase the folks in the section under the video board, it can also serve to alienate other sections where they do not see that kind of discounted concession.

To my mind, it will take a long time to recover, and perhaps the stadium will never recover fully with increased season ticket sales. Perhaps, the FO answer is to provide short term increases by heavily discounting tickets on a single game basis and strategically placing those discounted tickets in the area seen on television.

But if you continually fail to make the playoffs what's the point?

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celt, a large portion of the reason the team has these attendance problems is because they HAVEN’T listened to those who have left the fold. For years they ignored any complaints or suggestions under the flawed assumption they could just sell tickets to the next customer to replace the one who just left. It appears as if that well has been tapped dry or technology doesn’t exist to give it more life.

Poor attendance isn’t old news when the year-over-year attendance continues to decline (and optics of announced attendance looks less believable each year) despite the team generally improving its on-field performance in a relatively strong local economy. It’s not “fluctuating” when it is down every year while team performance is improving from the low point - that’s a directional trend.

Ok, I don’t go much anymore, maybe any complaints about concession quality shouldn’t carry much weight. But if you aren’t listening to former customers as to why they are former and not current customers then you are being ignorant.

18. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    So I teach in HISD, at a school that is 96% Hispanic. Most of my kids, the boys anyway, are soccer fans but none of them follow the Dynamo. It is mostly Barca and closer to home, LigaMX teams.

I do recruit, and I have had a few kids become fans, even attend a few games. I cannot answer why the Dynamo are so overlooked. If I was guessing, I would say their Dads don't care so they don't.

What is even funnier is that you can find huge support amongst the teachers. Most of us have been to a game and three of us are season ticket holders. It is not uncommon to see Dynamo jerseys being worn by teachers on Fridays.

Regardless, the lack of support baffles me, this is Houston, fourth largest in the States. Hard to believe we can't find 30k to go to a game.

19. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Its not baffling. It's a lack of knowledge, talent, and money. The few of us left here can probably think of a dozen ways, each, to improve attendance.

20. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    I'm in Cozumel, saw a local boy in a Dynamo shirt as we were driving through the city!

Dynam0 repped this.
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think that the Dynamo's lack of ability to draw fans to a central Downtown urban location - or maybe their inability to draw more fans that teams with stadiums situated far from centrally in their metro area - is a commentary on the club and the Canetti regimes failures as the first tweet linked references.

I love our old Orange Kool-Aid friend pulling out the "nobody goes to watch Brener play" argument like we should ignore the owner while he's of the same political views of those who think we should force Chick-Fil-A to close down because the founder's family gave to traditional family organizations. No one goes to Chick Fil-A to watch Dan Cathy prep chicken sandwiches!

*rey* repped this.
  22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...n-7-0-win-despite-neymars-absence-with-injury

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
  24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States