2019 Dallas Cup, 40th Anniversary (April 14-21)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

That must be due to the amount of water on the fields. That presumably means the NYCFC, RSL, and TFC games scheduled for Sunday have been postponed. The tripleheader at the Cotton Bowl is still going ahead today.

Winoman repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Oh, a reminder of the broadcast schedule for the Dallas Cup. They are streaming about 40 games, including today's cotton bowl games. Basically a lot of the supergroup games and then the championship games across all age groups.

http://www.dallascup.com/dr-pepper-dallas-cup-broadcast-schedule

So FCD versus Villarreal will be shown today. It looks like RSL and NYCFC games are gonna be streamed on Monday.

Winoman repped this.
  3. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Seems like NYCFC's Justin Haak had a good game, playing DM for NYCFC against Liverpool FC, with a beautiful solo goal.

Luksarus and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    For FC Dallas, really impressed by their U14 team, having some special players.

5. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    It's true, Haak had a pretty good game. The goal was very beautiful.
    Scally had a decent game.
    I thought that Kim's game was quite correct.
    W. Sands had some good moves, he is in the shadow of his brother, but I think he has an interesting skill that should be observed.

don Lamb repped this.
  6. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Haak ran the game for the most part, but LFC didn't put too much pressure on him either. I thought Gray's passing from the center back spot was good -- he's got to be one of the frontrunners there for the U17s even though he's played more in the midfield for that team, I think.

7. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link to the lineups? Haven’t had any luck finding them. Heck, or a replay?

8. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I found the replay on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FloFutbol/

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  10. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Unfortunately the FCD Academies did not have a great showing overall this week. Talking mainly about the heralded U17 and U19 teams that fielded many pros in Pepi, Dante, Bryan Reynolds and others with USL experience.

The U17s got to the QF of GA Cup but lost to West Ham and the Dinamo Zagreb in the process and the U19's went 0-2 and 1 in the DC Supergroup. They faced tough competition which is what this is all about but was hoping to see some more success from them in this international tournament. Goes to show how special that group lead by Paxton Pomykal was that won the Supergroup a few years back.

11. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    NYCFC managed to advance to the semifinals despite the defeat with Tigres. They will face Villarreal.
    The U19 team has talent, part of the player base is that of the champion of the USSDA U18 / 19 of 2017/2018.
    Although the NYCFC is still a "young" team, since it does not have many years in the MLS, I would like the team to have a second team in the USL in a few years to develop the youth even more, since New York he has too much talent to produce.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would say that FCD seemed really "spread out" at this event more than I can remember at previous events. FCD U19s are the #1 team in the country based on the DA standings. But this weekend that U19 talent was spread all over the place. I might be wrong, but didn't it seem like FCD prioritized the GA Cup over the Dallas Cup this year? With their USL players like Pepi, David Rodriguez, Sealy, etc. all playing in the GA Cup?

Just so we're all on the same page.............19 DFW-based teams advanced to the knockout rounds in the Dallas Cup :). Solar and FCD crushed it in the divisions outside of the Supergroup. So they didn't do so well in the sexiest groups of the GA Cup/Dallas Cup, but have had a very good event overall. The U14s (who won the Dallas Cup as U13s last year) are in the semifinal against Eintracht Frankfurt today.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/soccer/2019/04/17/19metroplex-teams-advance-2019-dallas-cup

13. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I'm not sure the U19s were that spread out. Pepi and David don't play with them and Benni stayed with them for the DC. Dante plays with them but his absence is not a big deal. The U19's were the team that has won their DA games but with the addition of Bryan Reynolds for the DC.

FCD definitely focused on the GA cup by dropping Pepi, David and Sealy to that roster but had a poor showing if we are being honest. Losing two games and getting knocked out in the QF is not up to the hype of the FCD Academy. Losing to West Ham and Dimano Zagrib is not shocking as they are good teams, but would have liked to see FCD make it further and show well against the foreign teams.

Congrats to the Seattle Sounders showing they can play with the foreign teams and getting a win against River Plate.

The local teams in Dallas had a great showing so far as the NTX area is talent heavy in many of the clubs. Was talking to a dad from a Solar team whose son is going to an EPL team this summer. Lots of talent in the non-FCD teams in the Dallas area.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think FCD is actually doing better than usual because Cerrillo and Ferreira normally would'nt be starting and therefore would be playing with the U19's. Having both be so valuable they can't play for the Academy team is actually better.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #65 Clint Eastwood, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Shrug. I think the whole point of the Dallas Cup (and GA Cup) is to really challenge these kids against teams of a standard that they're not used to. I mean...…………….the U19s lost to good teams.

Just so we're all on the same page here...……………...the majority of the results for MLS squads in the Supergroup were bad. Essentially one good win: NYCFC beat Liverpool. RSL, FCD, and TFC all weren't up to the level of the competition this year.

I kinda came to the conclusion that Buzz did on this one. The U19's first game against Villarreal was the toughest game. The one they had to "not lose." And the night before a bunch of U19s played for the MLS and USL teams. They didn't use arguably their best eligible players. Why would you have Ferreira, Cerrillo, and Pepi play in this game (Pepi played the night before with the USL team)? Reynolds and Gibran Rayo played for NTSC, so they didn't start the game against Villarreal. Roberts played in the U19 game. But he was out of position...……….and also doesn't ever train with the U19s anymore. In Buzz's writeup of the game he said "Thomas Roberts looked like a player who had started for the MLS team the previous week and was wondering what in the world he was doing there." [Reminiscint of Pomykal's performance in this tournament last year.] He also was playing out of position on the wing, giving the #10 duties to U19 regular Tanner Tessman (who was the player of the game).

And by way, that's not an excuse. It's great if Dallas is using so many young players with the MLS and USL squads that they field an undermanned U19 team in the Dallas Cup. That's stupendous. Great. You take the best 5 age-eligible U19s off of this roster, and they're not as good. Surprise!

I mean, here's the starting lineup against Villarreal. Its not CLOSE to the best U19 team that FCD can field. [I think that was probably Bonilla at right back.] I think a struggle for this U19 team the rest of the year is the central midfield against good teams. I wonder if they're gonna move Letayf to this team for the DA playoffs...………

[​IMG]

don Lamb repped this.
  16. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    My understanding is Letayf will be sidelined for a decent chunk of time with an injury. I am hearing up to 4 months. I have not personally confirmed this, but I have no reason to doubt the information.

17. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    NYCFC lost the game against Villarreal in the semifinals of the Dallas Cup. Justin Haak was again the best player of the team with one goal and one assist, the other goal was scored by Polvara. It's really a shame, I expected to see the team in the final, but almost the whole game was overcome. I want to emphasize again that, in my opinion, this New York team has several interesting players. Perhaps the best prospects of this team are Gray, Scally and Haak, and in a second line of somewhat smaller prospects are Polvara, Petkovic, Jasson, Rando, Jimenez and W. Sands

Tom Collingsworth, STR1 and don Lamb repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Here's another trophy for MLS during tournament week.
    FCD won the U13 division. By the way, this team features none other than Jake Rhine. Bobby Rhine's son.

Winoman, Luksarus and Peretz48 repped this.
  19. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Good intentions, but Jake Rhine is on the FCD U12 South team.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he any good? That would become a great story if he becomes a HG at some point.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Don't know. This is his first year in the academy. All I know is that I get teary eyed every time I see him...……………..
    FCD posted this a few days ago. 2nd half with Jake is sweet.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for sharing that. I hadn’t seen it. It’s great that Pax gets it and works hard all the time like Bobby did. You could always count on BR to play hard and that’s a great legacy to live up to.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #73 BostonRed, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    One American kid, Roel Martinez, got to dress for Liverpool at backup GK. Not sure if he played:

1118970810310565893 is not a valid tweet id