2019 Dallas Cup, 40th Anniversary (April 14-21)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

The other confirmed supergroup teams so far are Tigres and Arsenal.
    Typically the reigning U19 (or previously U18) DA champions are invited. So that will be NYCFC in the Supergroup for the first time.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #28 Clint Eastwood, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    We normally have the Dallas Cup and GenAd Cup tournaments in the same thread as they happen at the same time (and typically the same location). So GenAd qualification has been continuing. Here's the final update from the Central. FCD U17s beat Chicago and Columbus to win the group & qualify for the Champions Division. The two Canadian teams in the group also qualified (TFC and Montreal). Houston hosted the qualifiers and finished last. Oh.....................

In the U15 division the only team that's clinched advancement to the Champions division is TFC.
    [For some reason FCD isn't competing for qualification in that division. Must have something to do with "going for" the Dallas Cup. I don't know.]

Luksarus and Stupid_American repped this.
  4. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final results for GA Cup qualification are as follows:

Champions Division (U17)
    • Group A: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Seattle Sounders
    • Group B: FC Dallas, Toronto FC, Montreal Impact
    • Group C: NYCFC, New York Red Bulls
    Premier Division (U17)
    • Colorado Rapids, Vancouver Whitecaps, San Jose Earthquakes, Columbus Crew, Chicago Fire, Sporting KC, Houston Dynamo, Atlanta United, Philadelphia Union, DC United, New England Revolution, Orlando City
    Eight-Team Round Robin w/ LigaMX (U15)
    • MLS: LAFC, Toronto FC, New York Red Bulls, Philadelphia Union
    • LigaMX: TBD
    Unlike the U17 division, the non-qualifiers from the U15 division won't be traveling to Frisco. It's just those four teams. TFC and RBNY are the only two clubs with teams that qualified for the highest division (so to speak).

The only surprise to me was Philly missing out on the last Champions Division slot. They have lots of attacking talent and are presently running away with the USSDA U-16/17 Atlantic Division. Like the Sounders at last year's GA Cup (who somehow didn't qualify for the Champions Division), I'd expect Philly to be one of the favorites in the Premier Division.

Clint Eastwood and Peretz48 repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Looks like the Supergroup of the Dallas Cup has been finalized................

It'll be interesting to see which youngsters FCD and NYCFC stack their U19 teams with. Cuz they both have first team players of some quality that are eligible.

Pl@ymaker and Stupid_American repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    One more team, and it looks like they're set now........................

7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @TheSoccerWire’s Tweet:

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Last year fields 4 and 8 were the camera fields.

Games played on fields 4 and 8 involving US MLS academies.

Champions Division:

April 13: NYCFC vs. Lyon, RSL vs. River Plate, LA Galaxy vs. Penarol, NYRB vs. Club America, Dallas vs. West Ham

April 14: Seattle vs. Valencia, NYCFC vs. River Plate, Dallas vs. Club America

Premier Division:

April 13: Atlanta vs. Ulsan Hyundai, San Jose vs. Midtylland

April 14: Atlanta vs. Orlando, DC vs. MIdtylland, Monterrey vs. Philadelphia

April 16: Xolos vs. Houston, DC vs. Ulsan Hyundai, Columbus vs. Mount Pleasant, Monterrey vs. Colorado,

April 17: Chicago vs. Ulsan Hyundai, Atlanta vs. Portland, Monterrey vs. New England

U-15 Division:

April 17: LAFC vs. Cruz Azul

April 18: Philadelphia vs. Chivas, NYRB vs. Cruz Azul, LAFC vs. Monterrey,

April 19: Philadelphia vs. Leon, NYRB vs. Monterrey

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    BTW, Dallas Cup also starts in only 12 days. Opening day Supergroup games at the Cotton Bowl have been announced. These games are presumably streamed, and then we'll see about the tournament proper.

As a reminder, the supergroup games are:

It'll be interesting to see which U19 eligible players that RSL, NYCFC, FCD, and TFC send. Cuz a team like FCD will have the MLS team, USL team, Dallas Cup teams, Gen Ad Cup teams, etc. to worry about :)!!!

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    00's and 01's on first team contracts in those teams.

RSL: Arriaga, Vazquez, Ochoa
    NYCFC: Sands, Haak
    FC Dallas: Ferreira, Cerrillo, Reynolds, Roberts
    TFC: Akinola

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There might be a very different approach from previous years. In previous years FCD would have played those youngsters in the Dallas Cup. I'd say Ferreira and Cerrillo are definitely out (Sands and Akinola should be too).

NTSC does have a game against Madison (albeit at home) the weekend of the Dallas Cup opening game. Would we rather have Roberts and Reynolds (not to mention Sealy, David Rodriguez, etc.) play against a USL team or in the Dallas Cup? A good question. We'll have to see what FCD's answer is. Cuz a game against the Villarreal U19s for them may in fact be at a higher level than against Madison FC.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’d rather see all of them in their age group for the GA Cup/Dallas Cup, unless they are playing in the first team. I also agree with what you are saying. The level of USL League One might be lower than playing against a good academy team from Europe.

Stupid_American repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What really helps for FCD here is that all of the MLS, USL, Dallas Cup, and GA Cup games are at home on the weekend of the 13th/14th. :) There's gonna be a lot of shuffling throughout the week between all of these teams. There are players like Sealy that are actually eligible for all four competitions...................

That weekend really is soccer heaven for folks in North Texas.

Brotheryoungbuck and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  15. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Didn't read his article but heard they are adding Pepi and Dante to GA cup roster for U17. As all things roster wise in youth tournaments at FCD, that could always change. The U17 team has gotten along fine without them and to add them back now may hurt the chemistry but you if you want to win, you would be wise to add Pepi.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah, we'll just have to see.

The article wants FCD to gun for the GenAd Cup, because they could field an oustanding strong roster for it. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think FCD has ever won it. How many youth internationals are in that lineup? 10? Che got a USYNT callup, but I'm not sure he has as a CB.
    upload_2019-4-5_14-18-42.png
    The author then wants FCD to send Cerrillo, Roberts, and Reynolds to the Dallas Cup. [With Hayes, Grueso, and Acosta back for the FCD first team they could actually release Cerrillo. Servania can debut this week if they need to bring a CM off the bench.]
    upload_2019-4-5_14-18-29.png

17. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

I think Che and Nico are coming off injuries so they may need some help there. I don't see them adding Benni but simply adding Pepi makes that team better in my book. They should try to win the GA Cup as I don't recall them ever having done so.

Not sure I would bring down the pros for the U19 DC when they are playing pro games and getting time. (Roberts has made the bench and made a debut and Cerrillo is close to a full time starter). I'm not sure it matters much to have your pros playing in a youth tournament. The FCD U19 team is doing fine without Roberts, Reynolds and Cerrillo this Spring and would like to see them take on the DC without the pros. Not much benefit for the pros and takes away the shot for guys now getting time in the 19s. But did hear Bonilla got hurt in USL game last weekend so the U19s will need help at right back.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm in agreement with you regarding first team players staying with the first team.
    Then again...............against the Timbers on the 13th you probably are going to start Pomykal, Grueso, and Acosta. You can have Cerrillo and Hayes on the bench. If he doesn't get into the game...................then you can have Cerrillo play the Dallas Cup game on the 14th. Or you can put Servania on the bench, and lock Cerrillo into playing against Villarreal. I mean, it's Villarreal at the Cotton Bowl. Sounds fun to me!

Roberts for sure I send to the Dallas Cup. With all of the midfielders back, he's not going to be in the 18.

BTW, I'm going to try to go to the GenAd Cup game against West Ham on the 18th. I'm going to be in town in Fort Worth for the Main Street Art Festival. I wanna see that best team possible!

19. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ
    RSL have rostered all of their pro signed players on the U19 team, except for Ochoa I believe. Going to Dallas to catch their games against Toronto and Arsenal.

20. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did your son sign a professional contract?

21. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ
    No, he signed an academy contract with the Monarchs (maintaining his college eligibility)

TxEx and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balogun and Ritaccio are in the squads for Arsenal and Liverpool, respectively.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When you plan your vacation time in order to see the GA Cup and Dallas Cup...……….and everything is cancelled! I haven't seen official cancellation of the Dallas Cup games, but the they have to be. Severe thunderstorms all day.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going to the FCD game later but right now it is a lot of continuous hard rain, gusty wind and occasional lightning. At least it’s not freezing but upper 50’s with the rest makes me crazy for not staying home for this one.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.