2019 Dallas Cup, 40th Anniversary (April 14-21)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 1, 2018.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, it's RIDICULOUSLY early to start this thread, but I ran across the call for team applications on Twitter today, so I wanted to go ahead and start the thread. Next year will be the 40th anniversary for the Dallas Cup. Quite an impressive achievement.

Application is here: http://www.dallascup.com/registrations-for-teams/teams

Main website is here: http://www.dallascup.com/

Twitter handle is: @dallascup

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's odd but having been here for so long I think a lot of Dallasites don't realize how big Dallas Cup and Classic League were for making this a youth hotbed. Kind of thought every region had the same type of leagues and there were a lot of similar tournaments. The same thing with finding out the local PBS station brought Monty Python to the US and that it was Owen Wilson's dad that ran it. Shocked that those things were done in Dallas back in the 60's early 70's as they kind of don't compute.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting reading the terms and conditions for the tourney. If I'm seeing this correctly, teams pick up all expenses:

Invited teams are responsible for all expenses, including transportation to and from Dallas, Texas. Expenses include, but are not limited to, local hotel accommodations, food, local ground transportation for the entire delegation (multi-passenger vans), entertainment costs and any medical treatment required.

From my experience in Europe at Slavia Prague's (now U13s), the tournament organizer usually picks up hotel and meal costs, with travel picked up by the team (although, I've seen the organizer chip in with a block sum to cover some of the transport costs). For a top team to have to pay to play doesn't make it an attractive option, I would think. Of course, the Dallas Cup has tradition and reputation and does attract top international clubs, so I guess I'm wrong...

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dallas Cup is interesting for top teams because the original concept still applies in that Dallas is sort of halfway between Europe and S. America. Miami would be better but this was first and does a good job keeping it important.

5. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

A lot of the teams from out of the country do a homestay program with local Dallas teams. The local teams host 2 kids from the foreign team so there are no housing expenses for that foreign team, at least for the players.

We have kept kids from Germany and Uruguay for my sons teams and it is always a great experience.

PhillyFury repped this.
  6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I believe Beckham had recent contact with the family he stayed with. This is actually one of the big plusses of the tournament from what I've heard from players who've done it.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Beckham stayed with a Mexican-American family that rode him to McDonald's every morning in a white pickup truck for breakfast! :) For a lot of the English kids, the Dallas Cup is their first big trip away from home.

Rooney also always talks about how great that experience was............
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ace-City-Manchester-derby-day-turning-30.html

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Winoman repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Apparently he and Beckham liked it so much that decided to move here eventually.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems Dallas should be able to take advantage of that but are clueless. I really think if FCD sold to Jerry Jones and he moved them to the Death Star and signed big money players and treated the venture like Atlanta does they would be huge. Actually not sure I'd like it better personally as tailgates, cheap tickets and homegrowns would probably go by the wayside but the local coke and boob job crowd would eat it up.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For the past few years we've put the GA Cup in the same thread as the Dallas Cup (as they're typically the same weekend).

Anyway, the first round of GA qualifiers are imminent in some locations. As folks will recall, this is the U17 level.

11. seat124

seat124 Member

Celaya
    United States
    Apr 4, 2018
    The GA Cup qualifying schedule has been posted on the MLS site. Qualifying games are this coming weekend and then again in February. There are also a few individual qualifying games that are scheduled on specific dates - probably due to logistics/travel.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/generation-adidas-cup/2019/qualifying

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Thanks for that link. It all confirms that the finals will be played in Frisco again.

13. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Should be a walk in the park for FCD U17. They play a SKC team they beat 7-0 a few weeks ago, a Toronto team they played in Mexico and Montreal.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and TarHeels17 repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In a pretty marquee matchup, FCD currently playing SKC in the U17 level. These teams already played once this season with FCD coming out on top.

18. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    3-0 FCD over SKC. Sealy scoring 2 and Pepi scoring 1.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    @TheFalseNine can we change the title of this thread to also reflect the GenAd Cup? The GenAd Cup takes place at the same time as the Dallas Cup in Frisco...………….

20. Diceshooter

Diceshooter New Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Atlanta
    Actually, AU U17 played NE Revolution to a 2-2 tie, and lost the pk shootout.

21. seat124

seat124 Member

Celaya
    United States
    Apr 4, 2018
    Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #22 Clint Eastwood, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    After the first set of games, its too early to make many definitive conclusions:
    [A few teams have only played one game.]

https://www.mlssoccer.com/generation-adidas-cup/2019/qualifying

Teams that have won 2 games at the U17 level so far: FC Dallas and TFC.

Teams that have lost both of their first two games and are behind the 8 ball: Portland (2 losses 1 draw. Toast), SKC (!!), Chicago, Orlando.

FCD and TFC play each other TODAY in Toronto. Winner of that game is in great shape for qualification from Group B. Another interesting game today is NYCFC versus Atlanta in Group C.

Teams that have won 2 games at the U15 level so far: LAFC (ahem GD +10), TFC, Philly

Seems FCD didn't enter the U15 division of the GenAd Cup. That's weird.

23. seat124

seat124 Member

Celaya
    United States
    Apr 4, 2018
    Link for today's U17 GA Cup games in Toronto:

Oct. 8, 2018 Columbus Crew SC vs. Houston Dynamo 9:30 am ET
    Oct. 8, 2018 FC Dallas vs. Toronto FC 12 pm ET
    Oct. 8, 2018 Montreal Impact vs. Sporting Kansas City 2:30 pm ET

https://thevideotoronto.com/?s=GA+cup

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FCD 2 Toronto 1

So FCD is in great shape to qualify for the U17 Champions division, which of course is held in Frisco.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For those interested in how the weekend of GenAd qualifying wrapped up: