PBP: 2019 CONCACAF U17 Championship Round of 16: USA vs Guadeloupe 5/9 6 PM (ET)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 6, 2019.

1. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm talking about their play in this tournament, outside of the first half against Canada.

2. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Tell Sounders that they have their next RB and RCB locked.

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Any subs so far?

4. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who we playing next?

Sebsa you slacking bro lol

5. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the thread ready to go 20 minutes ago. Panama

gunnerfan7, eliwood, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  6. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easily the most impressive win of any team in the R16. Twice as many goals as any other winner scored (CAN and HON each got 4), dominating shutout and a game that we wrapped up in the first 20min or so.

Yeah yeah yeah it was only Guadeloupe, but tell that to both Mexico and Costa Rica who despite being group winners and generally highly regarded had to squeak past minnows, both by the score of 2-1.

None of this matters next game, of course, but the form we're in looks good and hey this is about as good a result as you could ask for given the competition. Team seems loose and confident, no injuries, and I feel good about their chances to punch their WC ticket vs Panama.

7. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes when you play a team this bad, you get sloppy. I’m concerned about that going into the game with Panama. Sometimes, dealing with the CONCACAFing of teams like Nicaragua and Guatemala, it forces you to be more involved and play a tidier game.

I think a game like this was very good for the chemistry for this group. They completed a lot of diagonal balls and long passes that weren’t there before, and did a much better job of crossing and playing balls into dangerous areas.

The only players who seem to have any desire to play through balls or involve the striker from the middle of the field are Leyva and Fuentes, and that is a major issue. Especially since AOC was mostly invisible despite the two goals and Pepi looks like he’s in a rut.

Still, this was probably the best this team has looked and hopefully they continue to improve their team play.

gunnerfan7 and Winoman repped this.
  8. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Rough buildup shape:

————————AOC———————
    ——-Busio—————————Yow—-
    -Reyna——Saldana—Levya——Scally
    ———Tolkin—Kobe——Alejandre——

deejay and Winoman repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, USSoccerNova and TimB4Last repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Awaiting a Busio status update ...

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As hoped, this team seems to be playing with cohesion each successive game.

These tournaments are wonky, though. There are teams that we think of as dismal failures because they failed to qualify for an event (U17s, U20s, or U23s). They also blitzkrieged thru the games until the one game that actually mattered. The one that I always lament is the 2004 Olympic qualifying team. A totally loaded roster (Donovan, Beasley, Beckerman, Convey, Marshall, Gaven, Eddie Johnson, the list goes on), took care of business in all games of a tough group stage (beating Panama, Honduras, and Canada)................and then lost to Mexico in the only game that mattered. [We had to play Mexico as they didn't do well in their group stage.]

Ultimately these teams are measured by one thing. Did you qualify?
    So now we get to the business of the tournament. The one game that actually matters. As you say, this team looks like they're ready. They're possibly peaking at the right time. They're building cohesion and more team play. Am I nervous? Not really, the team looks ready. If fate throw them a depressing curveball, then that's just the way it goes sometimes.

12. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Put me in the pro-Pepi crowd. The guy relentlessly presses, chases down every ball, is constantly making run and calling for the ball. Yes he had two chances to score but didn't, but man did he make multiple runs or find gaps between the defenders and call for the ball only to be ignored or not recognized. I think his lack of production falls on the team not providing him service, the kid has all the tools to be a big time player not surprised hes doing so well in the USL.

LuckofLichaj repped this.
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pro Pepi and pro AOC. I just think Reyna and Yow both look to shoot first and then for each other second. With virtually no through-balls from the mids no forward is going to look good or score much. Their job with this setup is to occupy the center-backs and press. Not glamorous but if the team wins I guess it's ok. I think if they get to the WC better teams will shut down wingers who only look to score but Wicky will have time to refine things by then if they beat Panama.

Gacm32 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...9-recap-u17mnt-vs-guadeloupe-cu17-round-of-16

"Playing with a comfortable lead, the U.S. continued to control the game with an iron fist in the second half, putting in another goal from Ocampo-Chavez and the first of the tournament for Ricardo Pepi. In all, the USA held nearly 80 percent of possession throughout the match, outshooting Guadeloupe 30-5."

But wait!

USA – Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (Gio Reyna) 4th minute
    USA – Griffin Yow (Adam Saldana) 11
    USA – Gio Reyna (Joseph Scally) 20
    USA – Gianluca Busio 25
    USA – Gio Reyna (Griffin Yow) 29
    USA – Gio Reyna (penalty) 42
    USA – Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (Ricardo Pepi) 68
    USA – Own Goal (Hans Dezac) 70

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I still can't get over Reyna's first touch here. Scally's pass is fantastic as well, but that first touch is just, wow...

1126645204130287616 is not a valid tweet id

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leyva didn't get enough mention for his performance. He was spraying the ball all over the park, w/ ruthless efficiency, evading defenders in tight spaces, and winning some defensive battles himself ranging sideline-to-sideline with some teeth in his tackles. He may be the most can't miss prospect on the team. Physically and technically sufficient while playing with such mental maturity for his age.

Same goes for KHF, so I think it would be a battle between those two. Aware defender and great passer/ball striker.

Wouldn't want to short-change Reyna because there's really high upside w/ him as well. He could be both. But he doesn't play nearly as mature as the other two. If he was he'd be ready to break into BVB's 1st team. Is he even eligible yet, or does he have to wait until 18?

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, that's a textbook "damned if you do, damned if you don't" post.

Mexico squeaked past PR. CR squeaked past Nicaragua. Now you're here lambasting an 8-0 win? An 8-0 win that was about as competent as we've looked all tournament, and in-line with our expectations of improving performance as the tournament wears on?

Yikes. I'd love it if AOC were invisible, but scored a brace. I'd love it if Pepi, in a rut, had a goal (maybe, I've seen it as an OG also) and an assist. I'd hate to read a post about a close 2-1 come-from-behind win.

bballshawn repped this.
  18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really think Reyna could be in the BD 1st team right now? That's an insanely high level, and I don't really see it.

He's not eligible, even for their U19's...

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah Leyva has grown on me these past two tournaments. Getting first team minutes might not be out of the realm this year.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn't read my qualifier of "if he was as mature as Leyva or KHF, which he's not nearly". I meant from a pure talent standpoint. He is very mature in terms of physicality, skills, and basic football instincts.

But thanks for the info on his availability. I guess the next question would be then: when is he eligible for the youth and senior sides?

Soccerfan12435 repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFAIK, he hasn't been announced as signing. He has an EU passport, so the issue is about the timing. Most Yanks haven't been eligible to play in official matches for the German youth sides until the transfer window opens. He'll be eligible in the fall, assuming he actually signs a contract.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw your caveat, and I still think BVB is a bridge too far, even if he were more "mature"

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They broke in both Pulisic and Sancho at 17. He's more talented than Pulisic. Bigger, stronger, better striking technique. Similar tunnel vision. IMO he's as talented as Sancho, but w/out the mental maturity. Sancho played the first year at Dortmund. He may have debuted at 16 if he got there earlier. If Reyna develops the mental maturity quickly with some youth experience there, I could see a debut the 2nd half of next season, before his 18th birthday. If he improves gradually, then we're probably talking the following season at 18.

24. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah you completely missed the point, so I’ll spell it out for you. I’m lamenting that we had to play such a bad team before the most important game, and most difficult opponent so far, in the tournament but hopeful that the confidence boost of beating up on a team will be what this group needs to play to their potential. Some things were encouraging, there were signs of improvement, but there are still issues there that could be more difficult, and yet necessary, to overcome against better opponents.

Maybe you just want me to give them a high five and pat on the back for beating a bad team by a lot but I’m not that young and naive. Winning a game like this by a lot means absolutely nothing if we lose to Panama and don’t make the World Cup.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pulisic played a different brand of football at U-17 level, so its a hard comparison to make. He was a lot more technically inclined than he is now. He was a better passer and made better decisions on the ball. Right towards the end of his U-17 cycle he started developing better speed, and turned into a speedy winger. Before that, he was a playmaking CAM.

Dortmund has a lot of talented youth players in their system. They bring in players from all over with a lot of talent, so I wouldn't expect Reyna is being viewed as some immediate first team player. There's in fact a good chance he'll never play a game for Dortmund's first team. Nick Taitague never played a game for Schalke's first team. Junior Flores never played a game for Dortmund's first team. Marc Pelosi never played a game for Liverpool's first team. Being one of the best players in your YNT age group doesn't directly equate to definitely breaking into the first team of a big team in Europe. Plenty haven't.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.