2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Opponents Watch

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 15, 2019.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Presumably, a good Mexico could beat the USA at home in Mexico City. Too bad they couldn't beat Howard 2 cycles ago, and scraped out a draw last cycle.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about against Costa Rica on the last day of the Hex? I was hoping they'd pull themselves out of the fire. Alas, we had to do it for them. They, sadly and absurdly because we should've controlled our own destiny, weren't good enough to do it for us last cycle.

3. Ace08

Ace08 Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not even talking about winning it every year, I'm talking about being supposedly "dominant" and there being a "gap" between them and the rest of Concacaf.

That dominance and the accompanying mythical "gap" don't exist. It's a Mexican driven narrative to attempt to prop themselves up to a level they aren't at.

Any difference between the Mexican National team and the USMNT is immaterial at best. Don't talk to me about "talent", "upside" and "potential"...the body of work (when you really break down what they've done and the lucky breaks they've gotten) speaks for itself at the international level.

Mario Balotelli and nbarbour repped this.
  4. Ace08

Ace08 Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He who lives in glass houses shouldn't cast stones.

If we took the garbage cheap ass Mexican approach and didn't play out the games, Mexico would be laughing just as hard at not qualifying in 2014.

You're welcome, by the way. I'll post Zusi's home address in case you want to mail a Christmas card or something.

5. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    So let us look at the body of work at the REAL international level (where neither team gets the calls or lucky breaks)

Mexico: 1x Confed Cup winner, 1x Olympic Gold Medal, 2x U-17 WC winners, (in three of those finals Mexico beat Brazil),
    7 straight WC second round appearances (only team with a better current streak is Brazil), 2x Copa America finalists.

US: 1x Confed Cup finalist, 4 of 7 WC second round appearances.

Within Concacaf, the US and Mex have been fairly even over the last 25 years. That is not the case outside of Concacaf.

All that being said, my gut tells me that the US will win this Gold Cup, winning an ugly game against Jamaica and then upping their game in the final to outplay Mexico.

6. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Just about the same, actually.

7. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Mexico - World Cup knockout matches won in their entire history: 1*

*Played at Azteca Stadium (1986)

8. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you worry, we will troll them 3:0 on Sunday.

9. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    very true, they have the second round curse at the WC. The have lost to golden generation Bulgaria (on PKs), Germany, US, Argentina twice, Holland, and Brazil. The US game is the only one they should have won "on paper". I do not see any other second tier team doing better against that murder's row. Mex has not had the fortune of repeatedly getting a South Korea, Japan, Nigeria, Ukraine, Ecuador, Paraguay, Switzerland type team. Difficult games, but not the world elite they usually get.

Using 3 points for a tie and 1 for a loss, In the WC since and including 1994, the US has earned 21 points and Mexico has earned 38 points. That would seem to be the best comparison, playing quality teams on neutral grounds at the biggest stage.

Please note my post was in reply to somebody suggesting we should look at the body of work of each team. And I agree with him. Within Concacaf it is basically a wash, so I looked at a larger and more important body of work. Mexico is NOT an elite team, but consistently one of the best second tier teams.

ceezmad, Shen-O and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  10. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ass kickings in world cup knockout matches to the us: 1

i cant quite remember the scoreline...anybody remember?

gunnerfan7, Marius Tresor and nbarbour repped this.
  11. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    For a country where soccer is far and away the #1 sport, Mexico's futility in the only competition that really matters, the World Cup, despite hosting it twice, is pathetic, really.

Shen-O repped this.
  12. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    I’ve never used the excuse. I think I called it a C team once in world rivalries as a joke. In fact even this depleted squad is in my eyes far superior to every other team in this tournament. They’ve underperformed.

13. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    The shenanigans in 2015 were about trying to set up a US-Mexico CONCACAF Cup for the Confed Cup berth, as much as about getting a US-Mex GC final. Mexico was absolutely gifted both their QF and SF games in that tournament, at least one of which was before we were eliminated (don't remember which SF game was first).

Wow, that is atrocious. Thanks.

Marius Tresor and Burr repped this.
  14. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    You conveniently left out the 2016 Copa America.

15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    largegarlic and skim172 repped this.
  16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now they've lost even YNT regional dominance. Got no points at this U20 WC, after being Dos a Cero'ed by the USA U20 B team in CONCACAF.

17. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You don't lose regional dominance from one year. It's also important to note that Mexico had three top teams and two top four teams. One of them being Ecuador who also eliminated the U.S.

Three and Three and Sebsasour repped this.
  18. Sad_Commercial

Sad_Commercial Red Card

United States
    Jul 4, 2019
    What will your excuse be on Sunday? Just more under performance?

19. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on how you define "dominace".

I think The US can generally produce the same level of U17 and U20 talent that Mexio can.

Obviously both teams will have strong classes and weak classes depending on the year, but I think the days of going into those U17 and U20 tournaments and automatically assuming that Mexico is far and away the most talented team are long over.

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is, who Mexico is varies from game to game, from tournament to tournament ... a lot. This is also somewhat true for the USA right now. Compare who is playing now, for example, versus when Sarachan was in charge. It's kind of hard to say who is better right now, USA or Mexico? And honestly, I don't really care. I want a GC trophy and I want to qualify for the next WC.

21. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Not counting Andy Ruiz for either side (US amateur system but represented Mexico at the Olympic level), 11 world titles in boxing are in Mexican hands. The US has 20. Mexico has 2 lineal champions compared to 0 for the US. Soccer is #1 definitely, but this far and away talk is baseless. A Mexican boxer is currently the 4th highest paid athlete in the world, ahead of any basketball or football player. Mexico is thriving in boxing. Judging all soccer nations and their growth solely by World Cup performances is silly in any case.

22. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    [​IMG]

Beazley17 and DGreat repped this.
  23. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    One of the best ever. He’s retired.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do when Honduras beats you the year prior, and your U17 team looks on track to get rolled again at the U20s, unless they ride good luck against the US again.

25. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    If only Mexico's best athletes played soccer instead of boxing...