Pre-match: 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group Stage: USA vs Trinidad and Tobago

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 19, 2019.

1. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe true about Canada v Panama, but Panama made the last hex plus the WC, was in the final of the last Gold Cup while Canada didn't even make the hex. Panama has matched or exceeded Canada's performance at the Gold Cup or the hex every year since at least 2009. Could mean that Canada's turned a corner and become much better recently while Panama hasn't, but that seems unlikely. As for Martinique v T&T, the latter is regularly in the hex and, well, Couva'd us recently while Martinique doesn't come close to those outcomes. Again, maybe T&T got suddenly worse and Martinique improved a lot in the last couple years, but I'd have to see some evidence based on years of historical trends otherwise.

ifsteve repped this.
  2. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Without the deflection we qualify which was the point.

But everything here has to be an existential crisis that involves somebody's arrogance, stupidity, corruption and malfeasance.

Did I get all of the fanboy buzzwords in?

2in10 repped this.
  3. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    This is still silly.

I think Matt Doyle said it best. This is such a stupid opinion.

Konut repped this.
  4. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    It's not disingenuous.

It just doesn't lineup with your narrative and so you dismiss it out of hand.

You say that you don't want guys on the team with experience failing to qualify in CONCACAF but when someone asks about Pulisic you say that's nonsense.

I'm sorry. It's not. Your logic is just crap.

Konut repped this.
  5. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    You forgot incompetence.

6. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    You see stuff like this.

If your point was good you wouldn't have to exaggerate.

October 13, 2017 to December 2, 2018 is nowhere close to a year and a half.

7. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Which is unforgivable.

That's probably the #1 buzzword.

My bad.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  8. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Cuba is by far the worst team in the tournament.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem, OS, is the rest of the game. That moment no more defined the match than Green's goal did against Belgium. TnT was a team we should have never ever lost to, and it was a team effort to earn that loss.
    If the team is not set out with the stupid idea that there is no need to bring in a number of fresh players so you should just go with the tired cohort that had just played a few days before, and perhaps the slowness and difficulty in keeping the flow are not such an issue?
    If Mikey is given a rest, and Brad spells Tim, and Pulisic is allowed to lead a younger squad [and one eager to make an impression] we have a much more dynamic side. It was Pulisic, and a couple of younger players, that made the game even as close as it was. It was arrogance to say "Hey, a tired, nonchalant, Mikey is gonna do just fine against a bunch of island kids. He's just a Lion!" It was also stupid. Almost as stupid as to go around saying that it wasn't how we played, and played through the 90 minutes, but no Sir-ree Bob, it was just Omar. Damn that Omar!

Besides, OS, you should be sad and chagrined that Mikey didn't get the chance to sit out that game, instead of sitting in that game. Then your Hero would have no responsibility for the result, and you could be going around telling us idiots on BS how if only The Lion had been on the field then, for gum golly sure , we woulda been in Russia!

ardubois3 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OS-Logic-101 "It's stupid because I say so! Matt Doyle says it's stupid too! So It's double stupid, stupid!"

Just how badly did you fail your math classes, OS? Here's a little quiz: in your two line post you set out two logical fallacies. Name them.

btlove repped this.
  11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just incompetence......;)

12. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    And when we bring in a bunch of youngsters, like we did in 2018, and lose then people like you whine about not winning.

I would actually like to see the USMNTs record when Michael Bradley starts. It probably wouldn't look good for you argument.

13. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Hero. Good one.

No, he was much maligned before that too. Wouldn't have mattered. People push agendas and Bradley is hated amongst soccer hipsters.

14. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    It's stupid because it's not an argument. It's just some soccer hipster screaming on Twitter/BS that Bradley should never wear the shirt again. That's just a statement.

Again, the USMNT is better, and wins more, when Bradley (and Altidore) play. I would actually like to put together the numbers to prove it.

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened before that and after? How did we adjust?

16. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Before, 0-0 game.

After, they scored a goal from distance on a perfect shot.

Regardless, a 1-1 result gets us through.

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #142 Robert Borden, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    In the last WCQ, we were in the hardest group before the Hex
    • Mexico
    • Honduras
    • Canada
    • EL Salvador
    Also, at that time, Benito Floro was the manager who for some reason didn't start Arfield who was in EPL, couldn't stand Osorio and only wanted to play defense across the board. A tie was a win for him. Cyle Larin was our best striker and Cavallini had low interested in commiting to the NT.

Now we've upgraded:
    From Cyle Larin -->Jonathan David, Cavallini came back to the program.

+ Alphonso Davis, Liam Millar

MF - From Johnson, Bernier, Petrsso, Edwards --> Osorio and Kaye have significantly upgraded their game, Arfield is now Captain running the midfield and now got Stephen Eustaquio to commit to Canada and replace Atiba Hutchinson after the GC.

Although defense is still a work in progress, this is a totally different team now.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and um_chili repped this.
  18. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One mistake didn't lose the game. The approach was all wrong. The defense in the midfield was non-existent. Pulisic pulled one back, but our lack of preparation and flawed approach gave us a 2-0 halftime deficit.

jackiesdad, btlove and TOAzer repped this.
  19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    By that argument we should play him (them) forever!

btlove repped this.
  20. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You're Canada. We all know you're going to get screwed in some way.

21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I feel like I'm having an inverse flashback to the arguments that people made 13 years ago as to why Reyna shouldn't be on the team.

TOAzer and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  22. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    No, it's just that 31 and 29 are not too old and don't constitute death sentences for their national team careers.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think Roosevelt should have been more vigilant going into late 1941.

Winoman, MarioKempes and swedust repped this.
  24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dont we all get "CONCACAF'D at some point?

Although it was hilarious that Montagliani had referees from another confederation to call the TFC-America game at Azteca.

25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #150 Eighteen Alpha, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    But to say you’d like to see our win loss record over the course of MB’s 147 or so caps to prove we are better when he plays, discounts the affect of aging and acumulated injuries. You might as well make the same argument to bring Dempsey, 32 - still technically not too old -out of retirement.

Edit: I personally haven’t been happy with MB’s play since around the time he donned the armband in 2015 but I will concede he had some good games during that timespan. He may have even been one of the better options at CM. Are you saying his quality over the course of his career has not diminished?

btlove, Winoman and TOAzer repped this.