Pre-match: 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group Stage: USA vs Panama

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FS1 said 9 changes for Panama.

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wil Trapp: Leader of Men

Special upcoming on Fox.

USSF still giving Fox their script.

3. ClappinJonny99

Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool, DC United
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    Lol that whole segment was some serious cringe

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind if only he weren't trying to lead our men.

He's not even captain FFS. Glad I've skipped that segment.

5. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I still don't understand how Trapp was the new 6 for 18 months, and after two bad games he's now a backup to MB, who has also had 2-3 subpar games in a row.

USSF, the media, and fans are a truly odd bunch.

smokarz repped this.
  6. Xenimus

Xenimus Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox crew laying down the same issues with Trapp as the rest of BS, unfortunately I don't see him ever being able to become the type of player he needs to be to play the 6 in most matches.

7. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    8 of the 11 spots have very little dropoff in talent. The talent might be mediocre, but its about equivalent.

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He genuinely wouldn't start for the Red Bulls, and he wouldn't even be the first option off the bench. It is crazy that he's even in the national team conversation. Like, I don't think Sean Davis is anything more than an MLS lifer, and he certainly isn't national team-caliber, but he's a hell of a lot better than Trapp.

adam tash repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what they're depending upon; people not paying attention early. That's the only time it matters. Caring starting the final or even late in the primary and there will be nothing but establishment candidates to choose from. Therefore it's a democracy in name only.

I'm looking forward to it because Tulsi Gabbard is a breath of fresh air as a rare honest, uncorrupted politician. And if she takes the gloves off towards all the other candidates that aren't it could be quite entertaining. But likely not considering she's a peacenik in more ways than one.

10. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than Pulisic, I tend to agree. At left back it may be an upgrade

11. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lineup is terrible, but squad rotation is smart. Maybe next time we try to get a better roster.

adam tash, DHC1 and Deep Wilcox repped this.
  12. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Will Trapp as leader segment was hard to watch. Even Landon was like: "Que? This guy is maybe a role player. Now he's the man? Hunh?"

DHC1 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    All midfielders except for Morris, Lewis and Omar. Five.

14. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    I'm looking forward to the candidates offering more and more unrealistic economic promises. Who is going to be the first desperate candidate to pledge to get rid of student loan debt, credit card debt, and mortgage payments?

15. Xenimus

Xenimus Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yikes

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #216 juvechelsea, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    you have to get people rest when we're playing 2 games a week for 3 or so weeks. i would have rested some or all versus trinidad but i think we made an emotional/CYA decision there. so the game you have left is this one. otherwise you are playing elimination games with a tired squad which might sound familiar.

if sargent wood weah green gall etc. were on the team people might not be as leery to rotate, but you can't let that dictate the decision. in theory you could err on the side of starters most games but using them every game would tell eventually. this is why i beefed at the roster, as much as that i think some should start, as that to rotate you need better than filler or coach's pets, and smart teams rotate.

panama is swapping 9 just the same. it's coaching common sense. you drop down to b team and may the best b team win. hopefully we get the result tonight anyway.

yet another reason i don't like our star obsession and winning obsession. for tournament soccer you need to take every 23 player seriously. the best ingredients for actual winning include caring about roster depth and caring about the backups like they are pulisic. if you roster wondo in the world cup the odds are he might see time and whack one over. pulisics matter but it's just as important who makes out the XI and 23.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "All of Omar Gonzalez' goals have come at the Gold Cup." -John Strong

Incorrect, OG had a quite memorable goal for T&T in World Cup qualifying...

Beerking repped this.
  18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    that's the problem with annointing the coach's pet or because they are theoretical next in line, except they never earned it. you put them out there, and then.......hoo boy.....this is why i am like, the 2 and 3 keepers need to earn it, we need to experiment down the roster......it's not enough to put steffen and pulisic out there and expect things.....you can't just assume the apprentice is like the teacher......trapp and a few other heir apparents are either inconsistent or nothing which was why 2018 went like it did......how is a 26 year old U20 captain not already something? should have been a hint.

basic problem with deciding rosters in the abstract in your head, or on a depth chart, instead of on the field.

Girt and yurch10 repped this.
  19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The travels already brutal. The difference wouldn’t be significant enough to be an issue. The benefits of a region would out way the negatives.

20. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Agreed. I mean I guess it's good in some sense that Egg recognized Trapp isn't very good? The only problem is that his "new" plan is to roll out another guy who...is not very good. Baby steps, I suppose?

I think that entire squad rotation is maybe just not an American thing? We're so happy and willing to install someone and leave him there for years. We shouldn't have any #1 keeper right now. Hell, I'd say even Pulisic is hardly an untouchable. Sure, he's our best player, and will likely always be out there, but if he goes through a run of poor form/not playing, I'd be perfectly willing to sit him (assuming we have a decent option like Weah or Boyd playing well).

We got complacent in the last Hex, and paid for it. Seems we're sorta doing that again, but hopefully not.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    why. am. i. watching. rubbish. get. burned. again. (Omar)

jackiesdad and Beerking repped this.
  22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Omar Gonzalez sucks green donkey balls, why is he still with the Men's team? :mad:

Too much?

PS: Sorry to see Trapp out there too.

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Really, other than OG’s egregious defensive error, I’m OK so far. I think this group can hold on for a draw, which is all we need tonight.

gogorath repped this.
  24. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    At least Miazga looks good... This match is brutal and I feel bad for those that paid to be there

Winoman repped this.
  25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not hard to cancel debt to bankers. Just make it law, arguing they caused the economic crisis after which they capitalized through the bailouts they didn't have to pay back trillions of and by making predatory loans. Bailouts for the bankers at public expense but not for the public at banker expense?

Frankly, in addition to prison time (not club fed either), all the money of many bankers could be seized for various criminal activities like scamming and war profiteering. That would happen if they were the average member of the public. But as I pointed out prior, far different rules for these different groups. Don't know why anyone not them or receives their bribes would rationally support that.

jackiesdad and Winoman repped this.