Pre-match: 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group Stage: USA vs Panama

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    no way they let pulisic go another 90

2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm pretty sure that the men's team Players' Union came out in support of the women. I'm not sure what individual comments would add to that.

Edit:
    schrutebuck beat me to it.

Casper repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    --------------------------Altidore---------
    ---------Lewis--------------------------Morris-----
    -------------Mihailovic---Trapp---Roldan----------
    ------Lovitz---------------------------------Cannon-------
    ---------------Zimmerman----Gonzalez---
    --------------------------Steffan-------

A triple-pivot central midfield to get the best out of the three non-attacking CMs. Think the last time the team started in a triple-pivot 433 was the 2014 1-0 friendly victory against Czech Republic. Altidore can come out in the 60th.

4. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Please no Lovitz, Trapp, Mihailovic.

5. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    I would be excited to watch these players perform v Panama.

Why are they part of the 23 if they cannot get any minutes during a tournament to take advantage of the opportunities? Who would step up with this lineup? Who would show that they need more club time to develop or look to just not have it at this level? Who can play a major role moving forward?

These are some a few of the questions that still remain unanswered to date.

21st Century Pele repped this.
  6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    My issue is not with the team saying no comment; it's with a website that's garbage at covering soccer posting a lazy, clickbait article that in no way represents anything accurate.

Ironbound, WrmBrnr, CMeszt and 2 others repped this.
  7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    That makes the Deadspin article journalism malpractice. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mantis Toboggan M.D. repped this.
  8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Furthermore, Deadspin doubled down yesterday by deleting the most popular comments pointing out the flaws in the article's narrative.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you're going to have to emotionally deal with it if you want to improve your chances of winning the tourney because you rotated in a virtually meaningless game against a team that doesn't even look Hex worthy at this point.

tomásbernal and CMeszt repped this.
  10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    That's normally a Haisley thing, so I'm a bit surprised that whichever dingus that wrote yesterday's garbage is doing the same.

11. ClappinJonny99

Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool, DC United
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    That Deadspin article is such bs. Ironic that the site is called Deadspin, when she is clearly trying to put a spin on something and create drama. The cliche all men are bad argument.....as if the USMNT have anything to do with this situation. Go after the people that are coming up with the pay scheme if anything. Honestly, I didn't realize the women's team actually brought in more revenue. If that is the case, than I'm behind them 100%. I just kinda figured that they had a spike during the world cup in regards to viewership and revenue, but pulled in very little during years off, qualifying, etc....
    As for rotating players. I first and foremost want to be entertained and actually enjoy watching the game. So I would prefer no rotation at all, despite the fact that it might hurt out chances winning the Gold Cup. It's not exactly a highly prestigious award, given the status concacaf holds throughout the rest of the world. The only rotation I would like is give Cannon a shot over Lima and Altidore over Gyasis. If Altidore continues to look disinterested, well then pull him off for Zardes or Lewis.

12. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus, since we all agree the Deadspin article is lame can we quit making a huge drama over it? The point of clickbait is to get attention so the more people have fainting spells over what is admittedly a disingenuous piece, the more Deadspin's strategy works. Nor is it remotely relevant to the Panama game.

13. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key for any opponent is to isolate Bradley when we are in possession in our own end.

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    And to attack him in space in transition

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yep, generally the US has been too tactically incompetent since the Klinsmann years to make two-line passes and move the ball quickly to bypass the obvious trap, although their was modest improvement in 2017.

I hope that changes under Berhalter - the match on Saturday was promising.

16. ClappinJonny99

Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool, DC United
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    Fair enough, I just got a little defensive of our guys. :D Valid point in that this has absolutely nothing to do with tomorrow.

um_chili repped this.
  17. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda want to see Lovitz

18. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here:

[​IMG]

majspike, frankburgers, Pegasus and 17 others repped this.
  19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'm a world-class left back. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!

frankburgers, Pegasus, MPNumber9 and 6 others repped this.
  20. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Somehow my account at Deadspin got blacklisted after I made a comment comparing Haisley to Skip Bayless a few years ago, so now my comments auto-delete and any Kinja post I "like" loses a star. At least it was that case with "Screamer". Not sure if it's the full site still.

The whole former Gawker ecosystem of sites is kind of a mess nowadays but Deadspin especially is a shadow of what it once was. You still get the occasional really good piece, but it's so much more infrequent now.

21. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped reading there :)

22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Deadspin was never very good at actual sports, but their coverage of sports media used to be pretty legit.

It's ironic that after they went down for irresponsible journalism, they got sketchier in that department.

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to crowd him on the ball.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If he is what you say he is then I Lovitz, especially late in the group round.

Ironbound repped this.
  25. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gratuitous self citation for calling the possibility of Curacao getting a point off Jamaica. No joke indeed.