2019 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Apr 8, 2019.

1. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see two Pac-12 teams in the College Cup, practically a home game for Stanford. ACC People see three ACC teams in the College Cup. Then there's Arkansas and Brown (an Ivy League team in the final four?). BYU is undefeated. Not everybody is going to fit.

2. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we needed to win at Utah.

upload_2019-11-11_13-53-31.png

We have one good win (Washington) and two not good losses (Oregon State and Utah).

PLEASE let me hear the words "Northern Colorado at Colorado." Asking for a miracle.

Katalyst repped this.
  3. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 33 at large teams picked.

Among teams that are not already in, our RPI is number 33. Maybe they owe us one from last year???

Nobody won them all. BYU is closest, had a tie at Santa Clara. Stanford neglected to score at Pepperdine.

4. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES !!
    YES !!
    YES !!

Northern Colorado at Colorado !!!

My heart sank when they announced Utah at Duke. There were two games left, and there we were.

WOW !!

Crazyhorse, socalsoccer23 and McSkillz repped this.
  5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Sorry man but your team flat out doesn’t deserve it and certainly doesn’t deserve an RPI 255 team. I’m sure you and the team are all thrilled and I’m actually a sort of CU fan (used to live there and try and catch games) but I didn’t feel they deserved to go and still don’t. I dont care for Danny’s style of play (but do like several of your players) but I’m basing my take on results not style. I do admire for fandom and commitment to the team. So I’m happy for you.

7. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes that was a very special moment! So happy for them, the pac 12 and all the Buffs!!

8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I won’t argue CU making the tourney and I am a Buff alum but getting Northern Colorado all the whole Cal and Santa Clara face off makes the tourney a joke

9. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just speculating here, thinking out loud ... Apparently in the first round, The Committee does it's best to keep teams close together. Except when they don't ... UCLA and USC could be hosting Fullerton and Pepperdine, but Pepperdine is off to Texas. Utah is off to North Carolina with BYU 30 miles away, granted they've already played each other but so have Cal and Santa Clara, Seattle and Washington, and probably others so that doesn't matter.

Northern Colorado won their tournament so under the current system, they're in and CU got selected so either UNC takes a one hour bus ride to Boulder, or both teams take a one hour bus ride to the Denver airport and both teams fly somewhere. The Committee did what they usually do. Otherwise there's no way CU would have a home game. After the Utah loss, some of the players were speculating Buffs at BYU.

Keeping teams close together, Cal and Santa Clara makes sense. But it's the fourth time this decade and both teams are capable of winning a second round game, if not more, and one of them won't. I guess proximity overrules everything else. .

10. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I’m more annoyed that 2 teams that spent Time in the top 25 this season face off against each other and bubble teams get cupcake match ups because they are close by (yes I know CU was in the top 25 briefly)

derbarkasmann repped this.
  11. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #336 derbarkasmann, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Santa Clara is in the top 25 and Cal is #27. Besides a different matchup, Cal deserves a home game. Nearby is not the same.

I had thought that our only prayer of a home game was for Denver to win their tournament, which they almost did. Denver was our first round opponent in 2013 and 2017. 2013 was at Denver, I remember that well because I'd had heart surgery (all five arteries bypassed) in late October and the seniors were 0-4 against Denver. Annie Stuller's free kick with six minutes left deflected off a shoulder in the wall and the goalkeeper was already en route to where the ball was originally going to go and she had no chance to recover, 1-0 Buffs. Yelling and screaming and jumping up and down and hugging everybody in sight was definitely not part of my recovery protocol. Oh, I hurt the next day. Olivia Pappalardo was there the day after her ACL surgery, she may not have been jumping up and down. But I digress.

UNC was a pleasant surprise. The cupcake has a feeble RPI and are the only team we have scored more than two goals against all season. And, they have momentum, which we don't. This could be more of a game than some people expect.

Would either Utah or the Buffs be in if Washington hadn't forgotten how to score?

I'm still enjoying Utah's reaction when they heard their name called. They must have thought they had a fraction of a chance because they assembled to watch, but the looks on their faces and their body language were not optimistic. Then the explosion. Screenshots one second apart. There's a video link a few posts above.

Screenshot_2019-11-13 Utah Women's Soccer on Twitter(1).png Screenshot_2019-11-13 Utah Women's Soccer on Twitter(2).png

12. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  14. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rough evening for Utah, lost 4-0 at Duke. Utes held it down to 1-0 at halftime but had no shots themselves, opened it up in the second half and did generate some offense but left space for Duke to add three more.

Washington State over #14 Memphis, 1-0, game nowhere near that close, shots 16-4, on goal 7-1, corners 11-1 all WSU.

I watched this one from Lubbock, Texas Tech scored twice in the first 11 minutes, the rest of the evening shots on goal were 13-1 Pepperdine. The Waves lost their goalkeeper in the first half and the substitute had only been in one game and it went to penalties at 2-2 and Tech won.

Prairie View A&M hadn't been scored on for 500something minutes. 8-0 Stanford at halftime.

Lamar got one in the final minute so had something to be happy about in a 4-1 loss at UCLA. The Bruins cleared the bench, completely.

I was so thrilled that the Buffs are in the playoffs that I drove to Boulder Thursday and had a root canal in their honor.

McSkillz and Crazyhorse repped this.
  15. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ill be cheering for Colorado tomorrow! I was fortunate enough to live near Boulder for a time and visited the city many times, so beautiful! The campus is stunning, just an all around amazing place!

derbarkasmann repped this.
  16. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #341 derbarkasmann, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Stanford 15, Prairie View A&M 0. Shots 41-0. Stanford has the best player in the country and she scored in the 70th and 78th minutes. What the &#@*% was she doing on the field with a score like that?

I was not watching in Lubbock, the game was there. I watched Pepperdine because I'm a West Coast Conference fan.

Speaking of recruiting classes ... WOW !! With the talent we're graduating, Coach Sanchez needed to land us a stellar group and it looks like he did. #10 recruiting class in the country.

Volleyball did the same thing a year ago, graduated the two best players and landed the #10 recruiting class in the country. With injuries and youth, it's been a struggle this season but the talent is there. I hope we don't expect the soccer freshman to transform the team immediately, but it sounds like there's a lot of talent and experience in this group.

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching the last part of the game, since Stanford was the only alternative. Believe it or not, the Lamar goal was an absolute beauty.

18. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The entire sequence ... the steal, the long pass, the run and the difficult shot. I love it when a team that's had a long game does something cool at the end to give themselves and their fans something to celebrate. Tried to find the video but can't.

Starters scored eleven of the goals.

19. Lassen

Lassen Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starters scored eleven of the goals.[/QUOTE]

Technically, eight goals were scored by players who have been starting regularly in recent matches. The seven goals scored by Tran, Gruebel, Harber, and Caetano-Ferrara would NOT count as goals to "starters" (although three of those players have some starts this season).

Stanford sat five of their regular starters at the beginning of the match -- with one starter given the whole night off.

Macario played the first half, but didn't start the second half. We left after 60 minutes, and I was, too, was surprised to see that Macario had come back in later. I'm sure the coach would say those minutes were to keep her sharp -- but it seems like an unnecessary injury risk to me (as well as pouring it on Prairie View). I definitely agree with you there.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  20. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To Lassen: Thank You. I sit corrected.about the starters.

21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  22. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 6, Northern Colorado 0

Really. And the game was not that close.

I'll be back, the second half of Cal and Santa Clara (go Broncos!) is starting.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not expect this. The Buffs have not been scoring all season. People who were there say that we didn't give Washington State much of a game, and I can attest that we didn't do much at Utah. UNC, on the other hand, won their conference tournament. I assumed they would have the momentum, and for a couple of minutes, they did. Of their six shots on the day, two of them were almost immediate A crossing pass to a wide open player standing about at the penalty spot just missed connecting, and they missed another same thing a few minutes later, and that was about it for the Bears. JJ did have to make a save late when we had achieved total bench clearance.

It didn't take the Buffs long to start missing shots, some very open. Libby Geraghty came in and it took her what seemed like twenty seconds to score (it was 47), a shot that passed under the onrushing goalkeeper and barely oozed across the goal line. Four minutes later, Kayleigh Webb ran at least 60 yards with the ball, her open shot hit the left goalpost and rolled across the end line, passing a couple of inches on the wrong side of the right goalpost. A minute later Tessa Barton won a 50-50 on the ground near the right corner, entered the box with the ball and got steamrolled from behind, the penalty call was correct, and Taylor Kornieck doesn't miss penalty kicks, 2-0. Happened again a few minutes later, the foul was called on Tessa. No. I forget who else missed open shots, it happened too often for my diminishing mind to keep track of, but the halftime score woulda coulda shoulda been 5-0.

Any thoughts UNC had of a comeback lasted about a minute. The Buffs got the ball and people into the box, it looked like Camilla's short-range shot was blocked but she retrieved it and tapped it over to Roo Yarnell-Williams whose shot deflected off a defender and in. A minute later, Tessa got into the box with the ball and shot high. Then she stole the ball from a defender and hit the right goalpost. Taylor's shot on goal got past the GK and was cleared by a defender. Just as the third quarter ended, Jade Babcock-Chi scored her first career goal with an assist from Kyla Ferry.

The Bears put together a bit of offense, missed a shot, then JJ had to make her only save of the day. Camilla Shymka scored with seven minutes left, her first of the year, with an assist from Amaya Gonzalez, first of her career. And in the 87th minute, Kyla Ferry got her first career goal with an assist from Cheynee Kingsbury.

Six different Buffs scored, and six different ones assisted. I did not expect this. Great crowd, just shy of 1,600, assisted by a sizeable contingent of Bear fans.. Shots wound up 24-6, on goal 9-1, corners even at 3.

25. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Bears ...

Cal and Santa Clara played a quiet first half, 4 shots, 2 on goal for each of them. The second half was all Santa Clara, shots 12-1, on goal 7-0, but Cal's goalkeeper is outstanding and one shot that got past her was cleared off the end line by a defender, so it went to overtime 0-0, then right after the kickoff