2019 Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'Coach' started by stphnsn, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I joined a new P2P club recently. I don't think it's going to be a long stint.

We had a meeting after the New Year to discuss club plans for the 2020/2021 seasons. In 3 hours, there was no discussion of how to improve players or how to better take care of our players. 95% of discussions revolved around money and finances. The other 4% of talk was about player acquisition/recruiting.

Run for the hills. At my 3 previous clubs, we had all staff meetings that only talked about coaching up the players and philosophy. Multiple times a year. At least one of those clubs, it was all lip service, but still. I'm sure that at the director level these discussions are had regularly.

CoachP365 repped this.
  2. danielpeebles2

Dec 3, 2013
    There's a chance I might be only assistant for my son's u15 team. It is a club team, 3rd of 3 teams, the pro coach is coaching 2 teams, and there are likely some conflicts with his schedule so if the club doesn't provide us a coach for certain weekends it might be me calling the shots. up until now, I've just coached rec and small sided.

What would be recommended course for me to take to be prepared and certified well enough?

I'm already cleared through all the basics (lindsey law, abuse prevention, concussion cert) just wondering how to be 'more qualified' if it does fall on me.

I might decide to do some coaching when the kids become adults, as I've invested a lot of time in this hobby already.

3. Rekyrts

Rekyrts Member

Sep 7, 2018
    I'd recommend the USSF Grassroots pathway through the National D if you can, but the in-person 11v11 could be great if you don't have the time or financial bandwidth to continue onto the D.

Alternatively, USC pre-National (on through National if you have the resources) might be something to check out.

4. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    So you'd just be running games?

I don't think the ussf grassroots courses teach you how to coach in game, just how to run practices.

What are the goals? It's a 3rd team, are you trying to get everyone equal time, are you still expected to win to try and move up for next season...

5. Rekyrts

Rekyrts Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Grassroots Courses touch on coaching games as one of the 6 Tasks.

6. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Cool, good toknow. Can he get that from the online version or only the in-person?

7. Rekyrts

Rekyrts Member

Sep 7, 2018
    In-person touches on it practically. To be fair, it's not in-depth.

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    For covering a match for another coach, I would suggest
    1. Reviewing the LOTG and competition rules including LOTG modifications.
    2. Reviewing Club and league policies.
    3. Coordinating with the coach to find out his objectives and his policies as well as what you need to bring to the match. In my state we have to have an annual background check.
    4. The coach may have a written warm up plan, lineup, and sub plan he could share. I assume you are already familiar with the system he uses for this team.

9. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A couple of colleagues, whom I respect, have good things to say about play-practice-play, which is what grassroots courses is based on. Apparently, it's based on sound science.

I'd recommend 3four3 and some type of ball mastery/1v1 program. Those would take care of most technical but won't give you "recognizable certs"

10. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #335 rca2, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    It is contrary to the science on speed training, technical training, and warmups. That is why I criticize it for use during the ages when you are primarily doing technical training. It isn't so much of a concern with older athletes when the training is periodized. The SAQ and technical training can be covered in separate sessions.

At the grass roots courses I attended both times the instructors demonstrated p-p-p using tactical sessions, not technical.

At the youngest ages like U6, you aren't doing technical sessions so even play-play-play is fine.

The session should suit the training plan. One size does not fit all. That is my complaint about p-p-p.

elessar78 repped this.
  11. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Are we starting a 2020 thread?

I had an amazing time at the convention. I completed the United Soccer Coaches Urban Soccer Diploma and did a bunch of super cool sessions. The Awards Gala last night was super cool and I had neat conversation with Carlos Cordeiero (sp?). We didn't fix youth soccer but he now knows my name :)

elessar78 and rca2 repped this.
  12. Rekyrts

Rekyrts Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Wow. Sounds fantastic.

That diploma is on my list. I want to get involved getting stuff going with at-risk youth on my area.

13. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    For this team, do what the head coach asks you to do. Remember you're their assistant so your job is to reinforce the head coach's vision when they can't be there.

As far as furthering your own coaching career, get as much education and varied experiences as you can afford. Read the requirements to take the USSF D course before you start taking the grassroots courses. You don't want to have to retake courses because you didn't take enough in person versus online. Also, check with your state association to see whether they subsidize coaching education. Realize that the USSF courses are licensing courses and the USC and other orgs are offering education/diplomas. There is a difference there.

14. TCRZero

TCRZero New Member

Columbus Crew
    Jan 7, 2019
    I've really been critical of the grassroots courses until very recently.

Yesterday, we made the decision after long contemplation to pull my son off of his P2P basketball team. 4th grade B team and the parent coaches were just in it for their own kids, so we got to watch the coach's kid dribble off his foot attempting to drive 5v1 every time, while the 4 other players looked on helplessly. Coaches were always talking about winning games (which they really didn't do), and never about developing players. Non-equitable playing time, not including players in the huddle during timeouts, keeping players on sideline for over 15 minutes at a time during practice, telling players not to shoot the ball. We went to the club earlier - and got lip service about mentoring them, they are volunteers etc. Nothing changed and our son's confidence decreased while bad habits were increasing. Since the club/team wasn't following thru on their commitment to our son, we decided to quit wasting our time and his. Haven't slept as well in 2 months as I did last night.

This experience emphasized how badly needed self-reflection and strong self-awareness are as a coach, which is really the whole purpose of the grassroots courses. It's also certainly made me more self-conscious about how I'm treating players and parents and what I'm showing my values to be on the sideline.

jmnva, rca2, stphnsn and 2 others repped this.
  15. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    It's been my unfortunate experience that those who could most benefit from coaching education and the habits espoused therein are the least likely to realize it.

ChrisSSBB, Buckingham Badger and TCRZero repped this.
  16. Buckingham Badger

May 28, 2003
    I completely agree with Stphnsn. My oldest quit basketball after 3rd grade because he never got the ball becuase half his team was told they were better than the other half. (its partially true but not by a lot). Those 5 who were told they were better didn't intentionally decide not to pass to the lesser kids but more subconciously. (Find David vs Andrew, etc). Two parent coaches both came up to me when my son and 1 other didn't show to practice earlier this year wondering why. I was frank and honest with the first as I trusted him. Then the story telephoned back to me that I thought my kid was too good for the program not hearing what I had said. Should have known hat is how shit happens when you can't take a critical eye to what you do. The worst coaches are completely blind to their behavior.

I've taken the last 8 weeks off soccer and we start again next week. It was good to be off and clear my mind. My teams are rec and we are not great but we really were making strides toward the end of the season. Its been 3 years of coaching and only now am I really finding my voice/my vision. I'm excited. I've kind of created my own cheap GoPro + painting pole + tripod which I plan to take video of the kids at practice and then spend the first 5 minutes of each practice showing stuff from the prior week. (At the end of the last season I asked how many kids have watched a game - only 3 had. Kids don't get the big picture because they've never seen it). My oldest was having trouble driving the ball so I took video and showed it to him and then we went back out. He loved it so I'm hoping it works at a team level.

Im also on my clubs board and we've turned over almost the entire board which was good but now some of the new need to step up. I've decided that I'd rather coach than be on the board so I'll serve out my term (18 months left) and then move on.
    We've cleaned up our coaches and I have to say we really have some quality coaches. Our club really punches above its weight at the older ages as we have some coaches who really are quite good for a real small program. But part of that is we have little development for the littles/young ages, especially for new coaches. We are trying to build a methodology/vision and its really, really hard. We all want different things. One coach thinks littles practice should be 100% technical and no game model. I'm off the idea of a mix of SSG and technical and we have another who is 100% SSG and the technical will come. I'm hoping we can get some agreement and that we actualy follow it but I think the others will just sign-off on a plan and go to their own way which defeats the purpose.

stphnsn repped this.
  17. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    It's almost impossible unless you have program directors who can really instruct and supervise the volunteer coaches on what it should look like. I can explain expectations and provide a club philosophy and training plans, but the vast majority of coaches are going to go back to how they did things beforehand once they leave the meeting.

TCRZero repped this.
  18. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Some suggestions. Consider doing it in stages. Youngest age - all ball at feet activities. Next appropriate age group, introduce SSG on top of it. And so forth.
    Also, instead of one coach to one team practice, run stations where teams move from station to station each running a specific activity by a coach. You need one main coach to train the others and ensure quality. Coaches run a different station each practice, etc. You train your inexperienced coaches along the lines of your club methodology.

19. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    This is a great idea if you can pull it off. The biggest hurdle for my small club was finding experienced main coaches (we called them our academy coaches) who bought into the idea and were willing to try to organize it for their age group. The second issue was getting buy-in from the team coaches. Most of them looked at it as the academy coach is running training so they could either not show up at all or if they did show up, they weren't in charge so they would pay more attention to their phones than the kids. I'd have about a third of our team coaches actually show up and be useful. I added this to my list of things I'll try again when I don't have a day job.

20. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Right, not easy and it would take time to grow. I would start with the youngest age group only. Instead of looiking for volunteer "coachs", look for volunteer "helpers" (people who want to help but dont feel confident about coaching). So you start this pipeline of trained volunteers who may want to step in as a coach in year 2 or 3, etc.

21. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    The problem with a rigid methodology is that what is best depends on the players. One size doesn't fit all. If everyone does exactly the same training without variation, then some of the players will leave the others behind. The more advanced the athlete, the more individualized the training program needs to be to be most efficient. Remember grouping the kids by birth year is not grouping them by soccer age, i.e., where they are developmentally.

pu.ma repped this.
  22. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Shutting this thread down. So we can start the 2020. Sorry, my fault, Thought we'd just start a new one. Anyone can start the new one.

NewDadaCoach repped this.