2019 Canadian Championship

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robert Borden, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think the format is perfectly fine. It's pretty consistent with how Cup tournaments are structured in most other countries.

The initial seeding is a bit odd, but for a first go I'm guessing there isn't much else to base it on

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    should have been like this
    1083441609134559233 is not a valid tweet id

3. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That is better, but the hate for the format chosen is a little over the top if you ask me.

4. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I like the format in post 27 better but whatever. If the CPL does expand as planned the format is going to have to be rejigged soon enough anyway. The justification for the seeding of the CPL teams and Ottawa seems contrived just to get the right number of teams in each round for this format but, again, whatever - the alternative would have been a random draw which isn't all that different considering the teams haven't actually played any games yet.

I'm just looking forward to a much larger Canadian Championship!

Polygong repped this.
  5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they drop the home/away format in future years.. A round 1 team could be looking at as many as 10 games in the current format...

6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If I had to predict, I'd say that once the tournament expands to 16, every round will be single knockout until the final.

7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Australia does theirs in a 32 round knockout format. Like us they have a small number of professional clubs (9) and then a pile of small semi-pro regional leagues.

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not such a bad thing. If such a team did make it that far it would be huge for promoting the team locally.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 games is a lot. The English FA Cup has each round be one game if there isn't a replay. The tenth-to-last round is the Third Qualifying Round, in which no clubs enter. The 116 clubs in the top five levels start in the Fourth Qualifying Round or later. I don't know if any cups start a round with 13 clubs left. Normally by the time they are down to 16 every club has entered, and I don't know if any cups make clubs play at least 10 games if they entered when there were 13 or fewer clubs left and reached the Final. The CSA could see how it goes and how likely it is for CPL clubs to beat MLS clubs and reach the Final.

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I had the same thought about the number of games. That's like adding another third to the season for most team.

That said, I really like the home and away format. What's the point if you never get to see your team play at home?

11. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm also wondering if there's any help with expenses for this tournament.

For either of the D3 teams, I can see travel being a problem, especially if they have to play, say, Victoria.

12. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------------
    Glad to see the tourney expanded, in the past with only 4-5 teams, it was kind of a cheap trophy.
    Building the cup along with building up the level below the CPL is good.
    Hopefully, other regions can eventually join in the cup.
    Obviously, one of the MLS teams "should' win, but if an CPL team has a solid roster and the MLS doesn't quite field a strong squad, well, its a cup and who knows..

13. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I'll bet you that the L1O team will play York9, the LPSQ team will play Halifax, and Calvary will play Pacific in the first round.

There is a method to the format madness. You'll note that pretty much each stage has a team represented by a region - West, Central, or East. They'll keep the teams at each stage in the same region playing each other until the final. To help keep costs down and also to set a precedent so that in future years, even as the tournament expands, everyone will know at what time of the year each stage will occur. And with a 5 stages, the tournament could handle an expansion of up to 32 teams.

14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I suspect you're right. Even so, a D3 team might draw 1000 fans at $10 to $15 per ticket. Even a short flight could cost them their entire home game revenue just in air line tickets. I hope there's some kind of help.

15. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, taking the cost of the most expensive possible flight, which would be Halifax to Victoria, a quick web search gave me about $800 per (that's retail, I'd imagine when buying in bulk there would be a bit of a discount but let's stick with the $800 figure). So for say a group of 20 (11 starters, 5 subs and 4 coaching staff) that's $16,000. Factor in hotels and other travel costs, the total cost is, conservatively in my opinion, $22k. So yes probably a loss of a few thousand per game, assuming that there's no subsidising from the CSA, but great value in rasing the club's profile and player development if you ask me.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO they should regionalize Qualifying Rounds 1 and 2 and then stop. If they have to Regionalize Qualifying Round 3, have the westernmost Qualifying Round 2 winner play Vancouver, and let the other two Qualifying Round 2 winners play either of Ottawa and Montreal (and I would say that about any two of Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto if the format is the same in 2020 with a different club starting last). Do we know if Qualifying Round 3 will have every matchup have one of Ottawa, Montreal, and Vancouver and one club from Qualifying Round 2 or if two of the same group could play each other?

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ Regionalizing early rounds makes sense. That said, the format of this tournament is likely to be quite fluid for the next few years so there probably isn't much point in putting in too much effort to sort everything out just yet.

18. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    Got to get rid of 3 crap canadians must start rule it weakens the tournament playing garbage players..allowing crap like league 1 and cis teams is also watering down what was a decent tournament.

19. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    You have crap league 1 and cis sides involved who have no real reason to be there being basic pub league sides and u wonder why the hate? The tournament should be 3 mls sides
    Ottawa Fury and the canpl champions and thats all

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ryan Telfer is from CIS (York University Lions) and now on Toronto FC squad, same for Mark-Anthony Kaye who's now on LAFC squad. Tons of unscouted talent in CIS due to MLS not looking at it.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about and aren't a fan of Canadian soccer

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like domestic cups including more clubs. We'll see if the CPL clubs get embarrassed against MLS clubs. Even if that happens, CPL clubs should get a chance to improve. If after five years the CPL clubs are still much worse than the MLS ones, I might want the Canadian Championship to include some CPL clubs rather than all.

22. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I suspect the MLS clubs will treat the CPL clubs the same way they've been treating Ottawa and Edmonton - run out a B squad for the away game and use enough starters in the home match to entertain the fans and get the win.

We'll see where things stand in five years as both leagues hopefully grow and improve. Even if a large talent gap persists, however, we have few enough pro teams that I'd still prefer to see all the CPL teams participate.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    MLS clubs are favorites, but it won't be a walk in the park. MLS clubs will have to take CPL clubs seriously as It will be a harder tournament for them.

Comparing rosters, it will be tougher than defeating Ottawa, they certainly won't do worse than them.

Most would agree that Forge looks ahead. York is built for offence, Valour is balanced with a strong defense, Halifax is definately well coached with a squad made to punish you on the counter attack, Cavalry has chemistry, Edmonton is looking to built an NASL squad, Pacific have their main pieces to build around in Chung, Verhoeven and Haber...they might get Marcel De Jong according to rumors.

MLS (Vancouver is my prediction) is favorite but CPL will prove a tough challenge

24. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    TFC as to be favorite as defending champions..and dispite roster turnover still better then mtl and van..lol at the oub league canpl crap teams
    .not to be taken serious ..not for a decade anyways..if the league lasts the long...it wont

25. TFCREDMENACE

TFCREDMENACE Member

Toronto FC
    Brazil
    Feb 4, 2019
    Ontario
    those player are not good quality..just bench players..stop waving the flag dude
    .club before country always..