2019 Canadian Championship format released

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Jan 10, 2019.

1. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We've yet to see the schedule for the 2019 Canadian Championship yet (perhaps in a few weeks), but the format as to how it will proceed is out.

Good to see the seen CPL teams added to the mix. AS Blainville is back, with Vaughan replacing Oakville as the League1 Ontario champ.

I have to be honest - I'm not thrilled about TFC beginning their Voyageurs Cup defense in the semifinals.

[​IMG]

2. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    They could have done it a bit differently and granted quarter final placings for the MLS teams and Ottawa, with the Ontario and Quebec teams playing a playing in a first round and CPL teams in the second round.

This seems like a political compromise of sorts.

3. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Hey, this is actually looking more like a legit tournament! Nice. I get the point about TFC perhaps being pushed too far with a bye into the semis but it is perhaps nice to avoid the extra two matches post-CONCACAF if they give that a good run. Seeing as last year's champion will have played extra games because of the Champions League games, particularly seeing how it decimated us last year, perhaps it is deserving to give TFC a little extra rest before entering in the semi-final round.

4. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I am not big fan of the format, seems silly that some CPL teams get a bye over other teams and fact we have bye to semi-final seems odd. I would figure format where 10 non-mls clubs play off and the 5 winners join 3 mls sides in QF then go on from there.

crazypete13 repped this.