2019 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 4, 2018.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it a prerequisite that the player actually plays for the USMNT during the calendar year? If yes... then I might be able to get on board. He has not been flashy at all... but has played pretty well IMO. But there are scores of players that have played in our youth programs that I think will be far more deserving if we are looking at club performance rather than caps

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's no real definition, so folks can suggest whomever they like :)

I named Reggie my breakout youngster of the year in MLS last year, so it doesn't make much sense for me to do so again this year. [Last year there really were a paucity of options.]

I'm inclined to name Paxton Pomykal as my breakout player from MLS this season. Although we still have some time left in the season for others to make a case.

3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he would get my vote too for MLS BYPOTY 2019. He would have to really struggle down the stretch to lose the honors IMO. I am moving on to the Euro boys now and there are a ton of candidates to keep an eye on. It is early in the season... so too soon to say someone is leading per se... but Dest, Ulysses, Richards, Sargent and Reyna are the 5 I am most eagerly eyeing. I would add Soto to the list but he isn't getting any minutes right now.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ledesma starting against today for Jong PSV. This is the Dutch 2nd division. In other words the league Dest was playing in last season..................

5. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    After today this post feels good. Feels like buying a stock and then it jumps 10 percent the next day, this is going to be a way more common opinion soon I bet.

sXeWesley repped this.
  6. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    obviously toye is plenty fast, but are we really gonna set the bar at japanese (youth) center backs? :laugh:

7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not sure they are any slower than our centerbacks.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #733 Clint Eastwood, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Yup. For those that didn't see this, Ledesma with 2 goals and an assist as Jong PSV beat Jong AZ 3-2. By the way, he's reportedly been added to their Europa League roster. Chris Gloster also made his debut for Jong PSV in this game.

For those worried about his international allegiance:
    [​IMG]

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed...………..
    1172942461431406597 is not a valid tweet id

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Brenden Aaronson should be discussed much more as a candidate for MLS Breakout Youngster. The slight edge (for me) still goes to Pomykal based on performance at the U20WC and being called up to USMNT. But statistically, these two are pretty close.

Brenden Aaronson: 25 games (1529 minutes); 3 goals; 1 assist
    Pomykal: 23 games (1668 minutes); 2 goals; 2 assists

Whoscored ratings (if you believe in these sorts of things) are really close.

And Brenden is a key player on a team that's much better than Pomykal's FC Dallas. The Union is a legitimate MLS Cup contender this season.

jaykoz3 and gogorath repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #737 Clint Eastwood, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Keaton Parks continuing to improve at NYCFC.
    A reminder that Keaton Parks is from...…………………………...Frisco, Texas. Yet another central midfielder from North Texas.
    1172959339742711814 is not a valid tweet id

Another player with North Texas connections. Chris Cappis, formerly of the FCD academy, starting for Hobro today. Sabbi also starting, with Yosef Samuel on the bench.

13. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow at 2 PM EST is Jong Ajax vs Jong PSV. Dest no longer belongs to this level, but we still get Mendez vs Gloster/Ledezma. Hopefully they all get plenty of time.

PalmettoSpur repped this.
  14. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    USMNTvideos posted the every touch for Ledezma from Eindhoven/AZ. I can't remember what my original "breakout youngster" answer was, but I'm not sure Ledezma didn't just jump to the top of the list.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are some pretty sweet moves. I've liked his talent since I've first seen him. My concern still remains, as far as early emergence, that he's very lightweight and lacks nasty to make up for it. If you lay a shoulder into him you can knock him off the ball easily. And some teams are going to gameplan for that to take away his skill, until he bulks up a little. There are a lot more teams with the intention and capability at the top level.

16. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    I thought Ledezma stood out at the U20 WC...just didn't look match fit. Looks like he is dominating this level if that all touch video is any indication of what his form has been like. Tough not to be really high on the kid.

USSoccerNova and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I don't think he's made his breakout yet. On another hand, if there was a thread "The most talented American player ever" ...

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest has this on lock

19. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Not to be a broken record but looking good in Youth matches says very little about how they can handle the Big Boy league. We've seen it countless times with young "can't miss" Yanks. All look great until they can't make the leap to adult competition.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Maybe..................its early, though.
    By the end of the year players like Sargent and Weah will hopefully make their case.

I'm hopeful that some of Ledesma, Gloster, Mendez, Richards, etc. will at least make a successful first debut. My gut feeling is that these are the contenders for breakout player NEXT season.

21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting. Pretty impressive. I tend to agree with some of the others w/ respect to not taking youth league numbers too seriously... but you have to start somewhere and his ball skills and vision looked really good on that video. Our U20 talent looks very promising.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Keep in mind that Ledesma is playing against adult professionals in the Dutch 2nd division. Same for Gloster, Mendez, etc. Jong PSV and Jong Ajax are in a division with fairly well known Dutch teams like NAC Breda, NEC Nijmegen, De Graafschaap, etc.

We have called up plenty of players to the USMNT from the Dutch 2nd division. Most recently Andrija Novakovich at Telstar.

If Ledesma is consistently performing in that league in the manner he did this past weekend, I have no problem if we proactively call him up to the USMNT. And I have no problem if folks want to nominate him for this mythical Breakout Youngster Award. Players like Dest, Sargent, Weah, etc. are playing in better leagues, though.

gogorath and Zinkoff repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    More American on American action. Gio Reyna versus Konrad de la Fuente in the UEFA Youth Champions League. Reyna got a goal. Hello...................
    1173980700497850368 is not a valid tweet id

24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    To me, it seems natural to do this since lack of caps is one of the criteria to identify eligible players.

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If he chooses to play for Nations League then I will write him over Cannon's name. Until then, he has a big asterisk.