2019 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 4, 2018.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Maybe being a Mexicutioner is a theme with him. He played against Chucky Lozano.

gogorath repped this.
  2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think you are the only one that gives a damn. I seriously don't think Berhalter or Stewart care.

onefineesq and Grumpy in LA repped this.
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    JOB was much better at defense. Or at least better than what I have seen from Mendez.

4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I hope you’re right as i think they care deeply and are the only reason that we’d have minimum numbers of MLS players.

If they didn’t care, the numbers would be dramatically lower or we’re at risk of not making Qatar.

5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As things stand now, the USA is going to miss Qatar as well. USSF is currently run by idiots and fools.

George Carlin could run the MNT better than the current leadership.

6. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    it wasn't just that he was telling other players well ahead of the end of their contracts not to resign(if you want to know who just look at gary's twitter for la galaxy academy players he talks about who played for brian).

7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The only saving grace is we're three years out and that's plenty of time for some of these kids to seize starting spots on good foreign and domestic teams. When they remain in the lineup and produce for those teams it's going to be hard for Egg to leave them out.

That's my hope anyway.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #608 Clint Eastwood, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    According to the FCD general manager and reporting from reputable sources there has been significant "interest" in Pomykal from major European leagues. Zanotta, the FCD GM has indicated that actual transfer offers haven't been received yet.

I saw a comment by Brian Sciaretta that makes a ton of sense. The U20 World Cup was Pomykal's "coming out" party in terms of visibility on the world stage. [He was not a US U17 player, and had started few games in MLS prior to the U20WC.] It could be that his performance there triggered the scouts from major leagues to pay attention to him. It might not be until the winter window, after additional scouting of him on a week-toweek basis takes place, that the really legitimate offers come in.

As far as the Mendez versus Pomykal debate, they are very different types of players. We saw that at the U20 World Cup. Pomykal was consistently good as a two-way midfielder. Mendez was sporadically very good and disappeared at other times. Its worth noting that Mendez wasn't particularly match fit. He hadn't actually played a ton of 90 minute games at Freiburg by then. What we did see in flashes from Mendez was really nice vision, great passing acumen (he hit some cross-field passes that we don't normally see from American youngsters), he's deadly on set-pieces, he's shown a great long distance shot, etc. Lots to work with there.

What I saw in the Pomykal/Mendez issue...………………...is two players that could partner very effectively together. Pomykal covered some of the ground in the midfield that Mendez couldn't get to. The same could be said for a Tyler Adams/Mendez partnership in the midfield.

What we do know is that the days of a Juan Roman Riquelme style #10 seem over in major European football. Teams don't use a guy that just partks in the advanced midfield and pings gorgeous passes around. Teams want the Luka Modric style 2-way midfielder. Ajax will work with Mendez on these issues I'm sure. Cuz the raw materials are 100% worth investing in.

DHC1 repped this.
  9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think we (bs) have a problem with using blanket descriptions only when they fit our own opinions. im not calling you out personally- i dont disagree with anything youre saying.

but ethan horvath has more cl experience than anyone other than possibly pulisic (yeah, 28 appearances for pulisic to 22 says wiki)- but who argues horvath over steffen? more to your point why isnt horvath thought of as a "cl type player"? what makes you a cl type player other than actually playing in the cl? does anything think of romain gall as a cl type player? cause he has more than mckennie, or adams (for now, clearly).

even taking the entire "testing yourself at the highest level" myth- yedlin started in mls, was bought by spurs, sold to newcastle, won a spot, helped them back up and is an established epl starter. thats the blueprint, right? is that not exactly what we want from our young players? but he gets nothing but shit on. if you poll bs 90% would take cannon or even dest.

theres this mindset in american soccer fans of only caring about (to put it in dating terms) "the chase". its a problem that berhalter thinks ream/lovitz are the answer at left back, but its just as much a problem that people want bello, or gloster, over robinson.

club/experience arent the ONLY factors that matter- obviously- but "we" far too often just apply our own preferences in completely nonsensical ways.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1157079399063281669 is not a valid tweet id

sXeWesley and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. coachd24

coachd24 Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Club:
    RC Lens
    It was a broad statement but I think a majority of fans understood it as the CL is the ultimate test with the best players in the world playing against each other (most of the time). It's the biggest stage in the sport. To be more specific I'll say to be a CL type player you need to be playing in the group stage.

From a personal opinion, I'm definitely in the minority but I think Horvath should 100% be in consideration for the #1 spot but his injury this summer limited his exposure to fans/media What he did in the CL group stages against some of the top teams was incredible and people noticed because it was in the Champions League. As for Yedlin I think the issue has also been the injuries recently not allowing him to play for the USMNT and he's not a "shiny new toy" anymore. When he first signed with Tottenham every fan was hoping for him to get subbed in and make a huge run up the right side. Now as a more complete and established player it's old news.

I can also make the argument that the reason Robinson was/is so hyped is that he belonged to a PL club. If you put him in an MLS shirt I don't think people are as enthusiastic about him. I think the answer at LB is Dest if he doesn't switch to the Netherlands. It just so happens that he'll be playing in the CL if they can qualify this month.

If "the chase" gets the fanbase excited I'm all for it. Without qualifying for the WC everyone is looking for any glimmer of hope and people are now paying attention more to the U17s and U20s than ever before. A lot of the 20s have potential but so did the 20s in 15 and 17 and not many have established themselves at the club level, some still haven't made it out of USL (see the previous savior Zelalem).

If we want to strive to have the best players you need to strive to play in the best league. There can arguments on whether it is England, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc. but there's no argument that the CL is the ultimate stage. If you're playing in the CL group stage you're a different type of player.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    When people say a CL quality player, I always assume they mean the group stage or better.

DHC1 repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Even that can be a little nebulous and depends on the league.

Weston McKennie plays for a Bundesliga team that barely avoided relegation last season. But its Schalke. You telling me Schalke isn't a "big" European club? A starter at Schalke can be a better player than one at Leverkusen, who made the Champions League this season. The obsession with the Champions league is a little overplayed. After the top 16 or so clubs in Europe, the gap between the rest and the majority of Europe is pretty slim. Viktoria Pilzen is in the CL group stages. Shiver me timbers.

I mean.....................the whole discussion is a little moot for this thread. This is the "Breakout Youngster" thread. Of course we're mostly going to be talking about prospects who haven't done anything and who are still unknown commodities. Of course on this thread we're all about "the chase" and search for young players that might impact the USMNT. Will many of these players not make it? Sure. Will our prognostications be wrong a lot? Of course.

Folks should feel free to talk about any prospect on this thread. In any league. Playing for any club. If we're only going to talk about youngsters at clubs of certain pedigrees, then its going to be a pretty uneventful thread.

gunnerfan7 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. https://www.ed.nl/psv/chris-gloster-voor-medische-keuring-naar-psv~a41f78d5/
    [​IMG]
    © BSR Agency
    Chris Gloster voor medische keuring naar PSV

PSV heeft beet met Chris Gloster (19). De Amerikaanse linksback wordt donderdag medisch gekeurd door PSV, dat naar verluidt enkele tonnen plus eventuele bonussen aan Hannover 96 betaalt.

Chris Ottens 07-08-19, 21:46

Chris Gloster for medical check to PSV

TxEx and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m stoked about this move. I hope Soto follows him.

DHC1 repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This one is officially official...............:)

1159837697617252353 is not a valid tweet id

Missing from that list is 17 year old Josh Pynadath at Ajax. Also, dual internationals like Jamie Dunning at Feyenoord (provisionally cap-tied to Canada), Kik Pierie of Ajax (provisionally cap-tied to Holland), etc. etc.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A brace last night for FCD for Brandon Servania. Three assists for Paxton Pomykal. After a stretch where Pax looked kind of tired, he was back to being his aggressive self last night. Multiple goals just a result of him driving into the box and making "stuff" happen.

gogorath repped this.
  19. He moved across the river to the academy of Sparta Rotterdam, that has a liaison with the Ajax academy. Sparta's Academy on it's own is already a powerful quality developer. Ajax just partnered up with them to piss off Feyenoord.

20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    couldnt that just have been working back from his injury?

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. From the sounds of it, he didn't really have an "injury" after he returned from the U20WC. He kinda felt some discomfort in his hamstrings and overall tiredness. The coaching staff gave him some weeks off.

Paxton has never played a schedule anywhere close to this before. Last season he played 168 minutes for the FCD first team between MLS and USOC. There wasn't an NTSC in existence yet and he wasn't loaned anywhere. He's already played 1362 minutes in this season, including both the U20 CONCACAF Championships before the season and 2019 U20 World Cup mid-season. A big schedule increase for the kid.......................

deejay repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A couple of youngsters started the season well in the Bundesliga U19s. Uly Llanez, who was part of our U20 World Cup team. And Gio Reyna, who is one of the key players on our U17s.

1161009085845839873 is not a valid tweet id

1160643608002932736 is not a valid tweet id

Patrick167 repped this.
  23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uly is playing centrally. That is a pleasant surprise.

24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Offensively, this is a break out game for Paxton. A bit more consistency in offense without dropping his defense and he will be taking FCD to the playoffs.

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Gio even challenged at the u19 level???

kba4life1 repped this.