Review: 2019 Audi Field Experiences

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 25, 2019.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was just coming to post that tweet. Potential prep for that was going to be part of my eventual photo dump from a couple weekends ago.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Something 20200329_134752.jpeg 20200329_134733.jpeg

Winoman repped this.
  3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Maybe I meant the XFL closing down, not MLS.

Thx,

Jay!

4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they have batteries to dump the excess generation into.

Winoman repped this.
  5. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    More than likely they have the ability to dump excess power generation back into the local power grid and receive a credit for it.

song219 and Winoman repped this.
  6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    36B8EA7B-6F37-4881-9C69-13E9D4E33E03.jpeg

Thx,

Jay!

sitruc repped this.
  7. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fairly certain DC United lost money on this venture

fatbastard repped this.
  8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    One would think that someone doing business with a grifter like Vince MacMahon and his Orange buddy will get stiffed in the end. These guys didn't get rich, if they really are rich, by paying off their legitimate debts. Their MO is get credit advanced and then file for bankruptcy.

fatbastard, sitruc, tallguy and 2 others repped this.
  9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    As Trump found out, this scam only works until the you run out of lenders willing to give you money. Then you have to take up another avocation, like fleecing Republican primary voters.

10. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that Trump's actual Plan B had something to do with laundering dirty money for Russian mobsters. His next scam after involved renting out the use of his name to financial hustlers before moving on to reality TV, where played a successful businessman named Donald Trump. Then, he took up fleecing Republican primary voters.

sitruc, Winoman, song219 and 2 others repped this.
  11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? How?

12. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I wonder what the out of pocket costs were for converting and maintaining the field for football, opening the stadium for 2 game days that they're still on the hook for about 350 grand. It wouldn't surprise me if they're losing money on the deal.

I know my golf buddy who is fairly high up in the of the contractors at the stadium finds this all very ironic and humorous.

13. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    It would depend on whether or not the XFL paid up front or on a game by game basis. If DCU hadn't been getting payments all along, they are ********ed in this bankruptcy because it is a liquidation and other than some expired steroid pills left over from Vince's wrestling empire, what tangible items does the XFL have to sell off to satisfy creditors? My guess is that every tangible thing in that operation was rented.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  14. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Based on the attachment that Jay posted, DC United is an unsecured creditor to the XFL for $316k. Throw in field maintenance, stadium operation cost and you are probably past $400k. Do you really think DC United made enough on game day concessions to break even?

I'd be surprised if DC United got any money from the XFL at all. Based on the credit amount, I wonder if VInce told people he would settle up stadium costs at end of the season.

15. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I'm sure that it what is was. Vince said "I'll write you a check at the end of the season to cover the rent." Of course his plan all along was to say, "Hey, can't make a full payment now, how about one quarter and we'll roll the rest over, with interest of course, until next season, rinse, repeat......." As I said before, these guys didn't become wealthy by paying their debts in full on time.

tallguy and Winoman repped this.
  16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much has DC United already been paid by the XFL to date? Without that info, it's a leap to assume DC United will lose money because of this.

ejs1111, sitruc and John L repped this.
  17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In basic accrual accounting, cash paid is irrelevant to your net income. The only things that matter are your revenue and expenses. DC United would have to have one hell of a profit margin to be able to eat the expense of a $316k cash write off. May be an assumption but thinking they made any money on this deal doesn't make sense to me.

I know you enjoy playing the contrarian but do you really see any scenario where the XFL whom couldn't afford to pay their coaches sen't DC united any money at all?

18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I play contrarian because people on this forum are so negative about EVERYTHING.

Again, unless you know how much DC United made up front on the XFL deal, you can't immediately assume this was a money loser for the team. Is that $316k due to United for the entire season? Is it for the final two home games that weren't played? Is it something else? We don't know.

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's arguable if any of the 316K if it is due for services related to future games is truly a liability. Certainly accounting-wise it isn't. I couldn't tell you how bankruptcy law looks
    at it.

20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sir, this is a soccer forum. Not a Wendy's drive through. Have you been here long?

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How bad can things be? The team put up a sponsor sign above one of the three gates and there are now solar panels that weren't paid for by the team on the canopies now.

FWIW, as of Sunday, the football goalposts were still up.

Winoman repped this.
  22. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least they are social distancing.

23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually by this point in the season they're moving the goalposts, so, good sign?

fatbastard, morrissey, song219 and 3 others repped this.
  24. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Yep, gone from "just making the playoffs is OK" to "just playing at all."

Adler, GumbyG, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was looking at this photo again this week while thinking about a photo dump of photos from 3 weeks ago or photos from last week and I eventually started to look at shadows since I was curious how the photo was taken. Boom lift. It was probably the same boom lift that was used to get equipment on the canopy. It was probably one of the same boom lifts that is always on the site that is somewhere around $2,000 - $10,000 to rent for a month. That's just my way of saying the crane excuse was bullshit and cranes were rarely used during construction.
    [​IMG]

usadcu, fatbastard, John L and 1 other person repped this.