Review: 2019 Audi Field Experiences

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 25, 2019.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Don't worry too much. The XFL will pass as quickly as FloSports. A one and done.

2. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's a gag reflex for a lot of people, but personally I hope the XFL does well. I'll take their money. And, watching the NFL recently is like getting drunk in reverse. She just gets uglier and stupider.

Saltenya94 and dadman repped this.
  3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, I'm thinking about going to check out a game this season.

4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I heard that the XFL is being underwritten by the wraslin' folks that print money for a living right now. It's hard to count out Vince McMahon.

5. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My issue isn't that I hate the sport – I played it and still watch but much less than I used to – it's that I find faded gridiron lines on a soccer pitch hideous to look at. I fear that is what we'll be seeing as long as their season is underway.

I have no problem with management making money with Audi Field. I hope some of that new revenue goes to our roster.

GumbyG repped this.
  6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He/they are definitely worth a lot more than when XFL 1.0 was around.

7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Why anyone thinks there is a "demand" for the XFL besides the twisted mind of Vince MacMahon eludes me. Since the original XFL went four paws up, both the Arena League and whatever that disaster that didn't last a full season have come and gone. Why would this be any different? In the spring, the mainstream interests are college basketball, and the beginning of MLB. If the US was a football crazed as some folks think, why aren't CFL ratings lights out in June and July before the NFL starts up?

billmead and Winoman repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like they care if it succeeds, they're laundering money and piling up "losses" to offset their other profits.

dadman, Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  9. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a tax write-off. That was one of the plot-lines, by the way, in the great Paul Newman movie, Slapshot.

Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  10. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    So Goff said the sports book was going to be a restaurant & bar type setup and my rep said that space was going private for Heniekin Club seat holders. Should be interesting to see how that works because I have to think thats got to be open to the public unless they're making a "window" for us common folk to place our bets.

D C B 2 3, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yep.

[​IMG]

12. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    The thing I really don't get about it, if they've removed the field level seating, who is gonna go in there when they have their own private suite upstairs where they've already been shaken down for catering.

13. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Heineken Club served as the "food and beverage" area for all the field seats. It was the functional equivalent of the club food and beverage area. It sounds like the plan is to use that space for the sports book operation, at least outside of home-game hours.

Removing the closest ticketed seats to the Heineken Club that served them seems odd. It's not as odd as having only that one food and beverage area to serve seats that stretch all around the field, and are the most expensive.

sitruc and PSURoss repped this.
  14. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The football field looks great at Audifield ... The DC Defenders are growing on me I'll probably attend the first march game since that's on a Sunday... I don't know why people are tripping on them they done more for the city in marketing than DC United has in 5 years

15. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    For the price ... I am kindda surprised it doesn't come with wait staff/in seat food delivery.

Bill Schmidt, ejs1111 and Winoman repped this.
  16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The first game is on Saturday, February 8.

Yes, I already have a ticket.

17. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Been a while since I thanked you Curtis, thanks for the pics!

For the first time in many years I bought a game tic that was not part of a STM package. I'll be in 136, really looking forward to it. ($35 face, $45 with fees)

My old seat up in 104 lists at $60 which would make it $70 with fees which strikes me as absurd.

dadman, PSURoss and sitruc repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What exactly are the plans for United in Loudoun as far as training facilities? Have we seen that? I haven't been out to Segra. So far United is still using RFK auxiliary fields some although they abruptly had to move out of the stadium due to contaminates. We've seen them at Long Bridge Park and they have a deal with the St James until 2023 or 2024. What is the primary training location?

Toll Brothers is planning for 400 apartments immediately north of the stadium where the Capitol Building Supply is. I missed the groundbreaking for another building in the neighborhood near the Cambria.

dadman, Winoman and Hedbal repped this.
  19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Where am I gonna get my malt liquor?

20. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    I remember Rooney saying that the training facility was part of what enticed him to come (my recollection). And I recall at the time thinking to myself, this thing aint gonna be built until his third year with us.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    FWIW, the standing room sections will be open for Defenders' games after all. The tickets are $15.

GumbyG, D C B 2 3 and dadman repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Faded looking banners have been put up in the concourses, somewhat confusing stars here and there, wikipedia style representations of shirts in a premium entrance (only home and away), and the XFL paint has made its debut. Some of the railing felt more secure tonight.

Winoman and TowsonDad repped this.
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    dadman, Winoman and pr0ner repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This crowd is ummm... interesting.

25. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    I was thinking the same thing. Imho it's great to see Audi Field getting more exposure and the comments on Twitter have been pretty positive so far regarding the stadium.

Are you in safe standing?

Winoman and sitruc repped this.