[2019 AFC Asian Cup: Quarter-finals] Korea vs Qatar 2019/01/25 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Jan 24, 2019.

1. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Regardless of the formation, there's no excuse to not be able to play more than one forward up top. If you're so ill prepared that you literally can't do something so basic as to play more than one forward at a time (how ludicrous is that?), that's entirely your own problem as a manager.

Even if that were SHJ instead of HUJ he still would've had a tough time due to how many defenders were packing the box against us. It just wasn't a job meant for one forward - too many defenders.

aeh1991 repped this.
  2. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Haven't seen the match but Hwang Uijo is the best 9 since the last decade (apart from Park Jumen, who I don't consider to be a typical 9). A few post hits here and there doesn't change this assessment for him.

And Son - his problem is that he's not a very good dribbler. He can kick and rush like but he's not controlling the ball well enough where he can comfortably play in between the opposition's MF and DF. He strives on the counter and behind the space of DF. This is why he struggles in the AFC.

Given this reality, I do think that our answer is a Son and Hwang Uijo two top.

3. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Yes I agree with that Bento wasn't very flexible but there was nothing we could have done because Bento was very ill prepared for the whole thing. His management was really bad sadly throughout the tournament (playing the same players and over-exhausting them).

4. Asimovfan

Asimovfan Member

Esteghlal
    Iran
    Jun 15, 2018
    Korea need to join hands with Iran and get a movement going against the ********ery of these Arab teams when it comes to buying players. They have all sorts of tactics to get around FIFA laws. Buying a hungry African kid (which happens on mass btw) and putting him in aspire academy is not an excuse. That's not the same as someone growing up in Belgium because his parents took the kid to Belgium for a better life. They're literally going on a shopping spree in Africa, taking the kids and putting them in Qatari football schools. Then when they're older they get citizenship. There are documentaries of it on YT.

They also buy from other Arab countries (case in point was the Iraqi dude that ironically scored against Iraq in this tournament). They've smartened up and stopped buying white dudes. This way they get less scrutiny. Remember the 2000's when the entire team was from South America?

Other Arab teams swap players too. It's not just Qatar.

There needs to be a movement to stop this. East Asian countries + Iran can force the issue. I'm sure the Saudis, because of the political issues, will join in if the pressure is put solely on Qatar.

Whatever laws we come up with, they will eventually get around it. For example they can get the Africans to immigrate legally to Qatar through a new process if AFC changes its laws. But that doesn't mean other Asian countries should just let them as it stands.

iunlock repped this.
  5. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    but look at his selections ...n line ups...n his sub choices....

6. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Everyone needs to be held accountable for this shambolic display.

1. Players - there were simply too many that could not execute. I know the tournament comes at a really bad time of the year right after a summer world cup and many were out of form. But the lack of execution... JWY? LY? HC and KJS? They just cannot seem to execute. SHM? Terrible tournament. I simply cannot understand why he insisted on playing against China as a starter for that long. Our players were poor throughout the tournament. Other than KMJ scoring on set pieces, our set pieces were pathetic. The lack of execution was just what you expect from a second-tier side.

2. The KFA - honestly, if Chung MK doesn't have the funds to even hire a legitimate medical staff before sending out our kids to the desert for a major tournament, he has no business at the KFA. Things are changing, but not soon enough for this tournament. More accountability is needed.

3. Bento - our lunch box special really had a rotten tournament. My take is that he underestimated how shit our players are when we're not playing a counter-attacking game and we're forced to play against a parked bus. I disagreed with his squad selections and tactics. I knew playing KSG and JWY down the spine of our team would eventually lead to an inevitable downfall. Playing LY throughout the tournament when he's guaranteed to do the same maddening things over and over again instead of Kim MH is the definition of insanity. And going to the tournament w/o PJH and instead relying on the dymanically bad duo of HC/KJS was just flat out stupid. He needs to be held accountable. I disagree that he should be sacked. But if he does not show flexibility, a willingness to scout and incorporate new blood, and change tactics on approaching the AFC, he will have failed as a manager and steward of our game. I hope he gets his act together before the WCQs start. And by getting his act together, I mean replacing the players that retired and replacing the players that failed to execute repeatedly.

A special mention for JWY and LY. Truly, they should hold themselves accountable and retire this time around. I'd rather let the youngsters make mistakes and grow into their positions than to see these two bumble about the pitch.

7. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Bottom line. Our players are just not that good apart from our existing KPAs. Europe my ass.

mike5th repped this.
  8. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Time to blood in new young players and usher a new era.

9. yahtrickyah

yahtrickyah Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We have a kid appearing in matches for Bayern Munich, a phenom getting first team starts with Valencia, and a youngster breaking into a mid table La Liga side. Ffs they need call ups.

If Bento doesn’t appear interested in doing this anytime soon, then he needs to be fired.

PacMan over again repped this.
  10. victoriabrono

victoriabrono Red Card

Nov 30, 2018
    Instead he called up players who didnt even want to be there - KSY, LCY, KJC, etc.

chook90 repped this.
  11. LDG20

LDG20 Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    If Bento doesn’t improve his selections and gets better at substituting... He needs to go.
    That’s all, everyone knows that there were better players on the bench and at home, simple changes like that and the team should improve.

PacMan over again, nmssis and Gaemamusa repped this.
  12. yhr88

yhr88 Member

South Korea
    Jun 13, 2017
    It's obvious there needs to be a changing of the guards.

All these kids are probably miles ahead of Chinese, Qatari, and K-League dimwits in terms of positioning and technicality.

Whatever the argument is against bringing inexperienced youngster into the team, at least it's a proactive move for the future and also an excuse when we bow out of a tournament or lose a game to "weaker" teams.

13. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    JWY for me was worst man in pitch. Just terrible, nowhere near even passable. The best thing he does is when he does a back pass or side pass.

Time to bring on youth prospects and K League standouts to compete for KNT spots. Enough with the conservative approach.

PacMan over again and Tazza repped this.
  14. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    the only feasible reason for this madness that I could see was that Bento wanted to firm up a great AC tourney with experienced players. Now I'm not sure if he did his due diligence to see if they are fit, motivated and how applicable they are to his tactics but...idk. if he is not only going to bring results AND call up new kids then I'd say cut ties now.

15. Gaemamusa

Gaemamusa Red Card

Jan 7, 2019
    Korea have beaten Germany twice.

iunlock repped this.
  16. Gaemamusa

Gaemamusa Red Card

Jan 7, 2019
    If Bento refuses to integrate new blood into the NT, he should be axed right away.

nmssis repped this.
  17. Tazza

Tazza Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Most annoying thing about JWY for me is that I think he has it in his head that he's some super technical passing maestro. All he does is pass it backwards and sideways while losing posession by holding onto the ball too long. And he cannot / makes no effort to defend or win the ball back at all when that should be his main duty.

His free kick goal against japan in a meaningless East Asian cup match is one of the worst things to have happened.

18. DHMGKorea

DHMGKorea Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Oct 11, 2016
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Twice in a row too.

iunlock and Gaemamusa repped this.
  19. yhr88

yhr88 Member

South Korea
    Jun 13, 2017
    Curious as to what netizens/korean "analysts" are saying about JWY?

20. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

2:10 -- JWY (Yellow Shirt, #5) Assists the winning goal with a nice cross from the left.

Sadd how he can't do for the KNT what he does for Al Sadd.

21. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    In the desert, he's left unchallenged with endless space to be Pass Master Flash... Sadd.

22. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Looking at the thumbnail, it seems JWY is basically playing with the Qatar National team (Hasan Al Haydos, Pedro, Afif...). Maybe he thought he was still playing with them today...

23. Krillin

Krillin Member

Manchester United
    South Korea
    Jan 22, 2019
    To be fair Suk has like one goal as a striker this season, and is a bench player.

24. DHMGKorea

DHMGKorea Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Oct 11, 2016
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    And unfortunately was injured around the time callups happened and he just returned to training the other day.

25. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    guys support japan against iran =)