2019/24 Shoya Nakajima @ FC Porto (POR)

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by Samurai Warrior, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nakajima lacked quality in the final third, both his shots and crosses were overhit. Awful way to exit the CL for Porto.

seolseol repped this.
  2. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This is a result of his Qatar transfer.

AKITOD repped this.
  3. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes

4. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    You guys keep ignoring Copa America where Nakajima was good in an underdog kids team vs Top Players NT.
    Anyway actually he's not good and that's what matters.

5. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He was not that good, he tried granted but not even close to what he used to do with his level at Portimonese.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  6. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He was not good at Copa America, not at all compared to his post-Qatar form.

7. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I meant: pre-Qatar form.

8. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    I don't know how he played in Portuguese League (I watched only HL), but in Copa America for me he was pretty good against stronger side (for me Chile and Uruguay are top opponents tougher than the majority of portoguese league teams) in an experimental team full of kids (aka worse situation than Portimonense).
    You said he was better before his 6 months in Qatar and I'm fine with it, but imo his form in Copa America was enough to perform at least average in Porto.
    Instead he's performing bad as the whole team, and being the only one who spent some months in Qatar is not a good excuse.

9. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Dude, please do some homework and see how was Nakajima playing for both NT and Portimonense before going to Qatar.

Nakajima was literally terrible in Copa America, his passing and shots accuracy and dribbling were very terrible, even the goal he scored against Uruguay might went over the cross-bar as he overhit the shot.

Check YouTube highlights videos of Nakajima prior to his Qatar transfer and you will notice the difference.

For me and I guess for many guys here it came as no surprise that Nakajima needs time to adapt and settle at Porto and comes back to his pre-Qatar form (or even better) based on his show at Copa America.

Interiores repped this.
  10. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Can’t deny that, Qatar clearly slowed him down. He had a lot of bad moments the other day amongst a few good ones, it was a bit of painful to watch but the blessing might be that he never lost his confidence : he kept blasting desperate shots over the bar until the end ...

YakYak and naopon repped this.
  11. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bench once again

12. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Another match against a clownesque opponent, let's see if they keep failing.

13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-0, 66th min. Nakajima coming on

14. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    How was he? I just watched the last minutes where he was bullied 2 times (1 time the referee punish him, another his tackler) and the last counter when he was too hurried and shoot on the defenders in the small box.
    Anyway mission accomplished for Mr. Sergio: underdog crushed and keep going on.

15. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This will take time I feel.

16. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His technical quality really took a step down. First touch, passing accuracy...everything is off.

gamban98, YakYak and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  17. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    It looks like he's not at the form-level required to secure a spot in the starting 11 even for this Porto. Spending half a season in Qatar surely didn't make him sharper, but that doesn't explain everything. Doing good at Portimonense is not a guarantee to perform equally well at a Porto-tier club. The competition and the responsibilities Nakajima is facing now are far greater now than anything he's ever encountered before. I still think he's up to the task, but it's going to take some time. The problem is that at clubs playing for titles, time is not something that abounds.

seolseol repped this.
  18. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    In that case, it does explain everything. It’s just as Naopon said. Until he’s become himself again, it won’t be interesting talking about his chances in Porto.

Keren repped this.
  19. yamatoship

yamatoship Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I watched his games in Qatar and he rarely touched the ball there.

20. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Yep, definitely. People here are talking about his spell in Qatar as he was sent to prison for 6 months, tortured and not allowed to touch a ball. Surely they have a lot of issues, but he was playing under a well-respected manager as Rui Faria and in state-of-the-art training facilities. If he deteriorated as a player there it's 100% down to him, and nothing else.

For large parts of that 6-month spell he wasn't even in Qatar. He spent nearly the entire June with the Japan NT, and were also in Japan for almost 2 weeks in March. That he only played 7 league-games during his spell there underlines that, so there's obviously more to this story.

Using Qatar as an excuse is starting to get old, especially considering players from those leagues (Qatar,UAE etc) have easily managed to adapt to a higher league before. Does Manuel Lanzini or El-Arabi rings a bell for anyone?

And he's played, what is it 113 minutes in a Porto-jersey? New teammates, new playing-style, new manager? Aren't people being very quick to draw conclusions here? And having travelled for basically the entire summer back and forth between 3 continents + 1 sub-continent while most of his teammates were already in pre-season training will of course affect him too so why don't we give him a break? Dennis Bergkamp was labelled a flop after 7-8 matches at Arsenal, and look how that turned out.

And as you say, doing well at a tiny club like Portimonense is no guarantee he has what it takes to succeed in a bigger club. Porto failed to reach Champions League this season which is a disaster for a club like them, so it's not only Nakajima who have been disappointing so far.

21. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #96 Samurai Warrior, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Actually Nakajima barely touched the ball during most of Al-Duhail games.

As I already pointed out in a post in the other thread, Nakajima was ignored by his teammates. The attacking trio of Qatari forward Almoez Ali, Morrocan striker Youssef El-Arabi, and Brazilian-born Belgian winger Edmilson rarely passed the ball to him or engage him in the attacking attempts as if he was a player of poor quality or coming from an underdeveloped league.

The same goes for set-pieces and free-kicks, Qatar NT starlet Bassam Alrawi is the default free-kick taker, and after him comes Edmilson, so Nakajima was not able even to utilise his efficiency as a set-piece taker.

He took things by his own during the first 2 or 3 matches, as in the ACL game against Al-Hilal of Saudi Arabia, but after this game he was almost ostracised by his teammates. As a result, he was invincible during most of the games he played in, and only seeing his name in the starting line-up informed me that he is actually on the field.

For a player of Nakajima’s calibre, and playing in an inferior league like the Qatari league, and treated as he is a surplus to requirement is an insult and a psychological torture. This is why he was extremely happy during the photos and videos of his Porto transfer’s announcement as if he was freed from jail or a concentration camp.

Rui Faria did not make any effort to integrate him into the team or at least assigned him as a free-kick taker to give him a chance to contribute to the team. Players ignored him as if they were doing it in purpose. The club officials and fans did not value him, and the fans criticised his output and described him as the worst transfer deal Al-Duhail had made.

It is not about the facilities at the club, nor the salary he got, nor the coach of the team, it is all about how badly he was treated, underused and underestimated in Qatar.

gamban98 repped this.
  22. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He is back to Japan for personal reasons, it is suggested that he visits Japan for the birthday of his son:

It seems he needs to settle not just physically and technically, but even psychologically, mentally, and socially after his Qatar’s experience.

seolseol repped this.
  23. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And why is this you think?

24. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Correction: It is for the birth of his new child.

Update: Nakajima will miss Benfica vs Porto’s match tomorrow because he is in Japan:

25. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Nosedive experience till now.
    Worst than Miyaichi, worst than Usami, worst than Kagawa to ManU.