2019/24 Shoya Nakajima @ FC Porto (POR)

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by Samurai Warrior, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Wow.
    From a loan in Portugal and PSG there's a big difference.
    Anyway his trip to Europe seems a nightmare and despite all I think he didn't deserve this.

2. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    If nothing else his situation is a warning example of the influence the choice of agents can have. Though his alleged behavior toward other team members is no good look either. Corona is the cherry on the top.

seolseol repped this.
  3. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it's blatantly obvious that Nakajima's moves have been structured to maximize profits for Theo Panagopoulos, it's also true that delegating the day-to-day caretaker responsibilities of an agent to his kid Ryuki probably contributed to the current situation, particularly for a player who has gotten by on sheer talent with a reputation for questionable professionalism.

At the same time, to some extent you have to accept the recent events as a consequence of Nakajima's own makeup. He enjoys playing football and getting paid handsomely to support his family, and is disinterested in career achievements or perhaps even winning and losing - supposedly he even acknowledged that he actually preferred the lack of stadium supporters in Qatar, since he was free to have fun on the pitch with lower accountability for results.

With respect to Nakajima isolating himself on the squad, he was probably put in a tough spot by his wife's supposed health condition and the departure of his staff. At the same time, his teammates have families and personal responsibilities of their own without a whole entourage to take care of daily affairs, and you could easily imagine that he was viewed as wanting special treatment at the expense of the team. Above all, failing to communicate his concerns in order to achieve an adequate mutual solution seems to have bred mistrust, which unfortunately isn't surprising when Nakajima hasn't made much progress in speaking Portuguese while his agent is a total rookie.

datschge repped this.
  4. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About the winner's medal ceremony: Nakajima was apparently invited but declined to attend.

seolseol repped this.
  5. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This is a wicked twist.

6. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Wow, that's harsh. Relationship is no longer there.

seolseol repped this.
  7. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a summary of Nakajima's problems at Porto with local sources.
    • Porto's culture (and Conceição) generally values players who get stuck in, show tactical discipline, and fight to win every challenge and match. Nakajima certainly does not embody this ethic in demeanor or style, and little tangible output has come of his technical qualities to make up for it.
    • The team restarted training on May 4, while Nakajima was absent for nearly two months citing risks to his family and only began training alone on July 2. The club is unconvinced that this was a reasonable measure on his part.
    • He has failed to communicate effectively, both during recent events and more generally. He speaks practically zero Portuguese or English, and shows little effort to overcome the barrier, smiling blankly when teammates attempt to engage him in conversation. This can be contrasted with Gonda at Portimonense, who has utilized the COVID-19 interruption to improve his language skills and has already given a postgame TV interview in Portuguese.
    • Needless to say, Nakajima will be excluded from the cup final on August 1. Should a transfer offer match Porto's 12m EUR investment, the club would not hesitate to send him off, but given the current climate and the risks surrounding the player it seems unlikely.
    • Basically the only realistic option seems to be for the two sides to repair the relationship and for Nakajima in particular to adapt both as a player and as a professional. Club management has pushed for Conceição to give him another run out, and it follows that a new season would mean another chance. Otávio and Marega are cited as examples of players who initially struggled to adapt to the team's tactics before being molded into key players.

Whispered11, gandychan, gamban98 and 2 others repped this.
  8. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So in other words his best bet is for the coach to get fired....

9. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just leave.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  10. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I already stated this point earlier. Nakajima clearly does not fit into Sergio Conceicao's system.

Nakajima's situation of not fitting into the system is similar to Oliver Torres.

Oliver Torres, who was Porto's number 10 before Nakajima's arrival, was brought to the club in 2015 on-loan from Atletico Madrid by Porto's then-manager Julen Lopetegui, who previously coached Torres in Spain's U-21 and U-19 national team.

Oliver Torres had a very promising season in 2015/2016, which made Porto signing him permanently in the summer of 2017 for 20 million euros. He had a very good season in 2017/2018 when the team was managed by current Wolverhampton's manager Nuno Espirito Santo, but after Sergio Conceicao's appointment he fell out of favour, and he was sold to Sevilla last summer for 12 million euros (8 miilion euros less than the price Porto paid for him when they signed him).

Oliver Torres is described as playing a similar style to Nakajima, which did not suit Sergio Conceicao, and this season he started in most of Sevilla's matches, recording 3 goals and 3 assists.

One hopes that Nakajima will have a similar situation to Oliver Torres; transfering to a bigger league and making an instant impact, while not necessarily getting purchased by the same amount of money Porto paid when they signed him.

However, there are clearly differences between Oliver Torres' and Nakajima's situations, such as Torres being Spanish and brought back to Spain by his former coach Lopetegui who values him.

I still think there is a way out for Nakajima, whether through Qatari interference to tranafer him to another league, or Porto loaning him to another team in another league in a hope that he will impress and increase his market-value.

Nakajima needs to do much efforts in case he is transfered permanently or on-loan to another club, such as improve his communication skills, show some dedication, working hard to gain playing time and integrating himself into the team, and changing his agent.

gandychan and seolseol repped this.
  11. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think the damage is done. They should work on a tranfser. Its the best for both parts. Just hope they "choose" right this time. Although Porto sounded like a great deal in the first place.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  12. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I've really had high hopes for his time at Porto, I mean playing for one of Europe's top teams that regularly plays at CL is a dream for any player, but unfortunately, things dramatically went south for him.

I doubt a big team from Europe's elite would want him after this debacle, might just leave and go back to Japan but would any Japanese club want to shell that amount of money for his services?

A very strange journey indeed. Is the guy cursed or something? Another talent being wasted. smh

seolseol repped this.
  13. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah not trying to learn English or Portuguese is crazy.

seolseol repped this.
  14. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly with all the dirty laundry aired in the Portuguese press I think Nakajima will be viewed by other clubs as a toxic asset of sorts until evidence appears to the contrary. The only way for Porto to recoup their investment in the near future is probably for Panagopoulos to cook up another shady scheme to sell their 50% share of the transfer rights back to Al-Duhail or elsewhere. They will have to find an amenable loan destination or attempt to whip his ass into shape for the coming season.

15. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Honestly, beyond the rumors around Portuguese football and the situation at Porto, this is the most concerning passage:

He has failed to communicate effectively, both during recent events and more generally. He speaks practically zero Portuguese or English, and shows little effort to overcome the barrier, smiling blankly when teammates attempt to engage him in conversation. This can be contrasted with Gonda at Portimonense, who has utilized the COVID-19 interruption to improve his language skills and has already given a postgame TV interview in Portuguese.

This helps actually framing in a better way why he picked Qatar before actually coming back to Europe. Why doesn't he want to embrace other cultures? I find this the worst part of all.

At that point, he can easily sign for an Arabic or Chinese squad, where he would stay in a bubble just built for him.

16. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And get richer. But will be remembered only as one the most talented japanese players ever that just waisted it all away.

17. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's unreal how this has all panned out.

Hasebe, or someone like this needs to go down there and whack him over the head.

Samurai Warrior and seolseol repped this.
  18. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah talk about another level of professionalism.

19. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    You blame Nakajima too much.
    The world of football is full of this type of players, even worst, but if the lad is talented, as Nakajima is, a reasonable manager should overcome any conflict for the sake of the team and his career too.
    Instead mister Conceicao assaulted Nakajima in front of the camera and then he (and the whole club) act as nothing happened.
    Imo Nakajima story with Porto ended that day.

Anyway if the like of Coutinho (skilled undervalued player) found a big manager and team that believed in him after being a regular 3rd/4th choice sub in Inter and Mario Balotelli (an hot head) found the like of Milan and Niece to play for, a still young talented player like Nakajima can find someplace in the Top5 european leagues to play for.
    Maybe change his agent ASAP.

20. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I sincerely hope he goes back to Qatar or even UAE or MLS, makes some money and we don't have to hear from him anymore.

Nakajima is not nearly good enough to be that unprofessional.

21. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs someone who can get through to him and make him get his act together. I think it's pretty clear that Ryuki isn't the answer - pretty funny that at age 24, only a year out from being a top division professional footballer he is sporting a major dad bod. Probably not the best example of dedication to the craft given that he appears to have retired because the agent hustle is more conducive to the high-rolling lifestyle.

22. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #247 AKITOD, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    I think this sort of fall is unlikely to be recovered. The hype omg....he's such a disappointment.

Possibly he should come back to Japan on loan and start again at J.League level.

Its really hard to place what's happened to him. He must be experiencing possibly a downturn in his mental health? He was at one stage motivated and high functioning. It's almost like he's depressed.

23. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hmm, personally I think that the most realistical option instead is that the club sends him on loan somewhere. If he does well, they recap the market value and can sell him.
    That doesn't mean that there isn't a small possibility that he is re-integrated into the team of course, just a bit skeptical.

Whispered11 repped this.
  24. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a bit dramatic and in fact I think the problem may be that he's too carefree and oblivious to the surroundings to easily fit into a team context. After the whole scene with Conceição was patched up he wasn't exactly playing great - the quality in the final third was certainly lacking - but seemed to at least be functioning in terms of playing with more intensity and attention to his tactical assignments.

Where would he go? I imagine Porto would want a decent loan fee and some wage relief at the very least, otherwise they might as well take their chances at patching things up. After all the management still apparently believes that his quality offers some value, and Nakajima does want to play football one way or another.

I suppose a club that would take him on would 1) be willing to bet some money 2) have the right ecosystem to handle Nakajima's personality and family and 3) need creativity, goals and assists. I suppose Frankfurt might be interesting if they end up having to sell Kamada - their extension talks with Roberto Tukuda have reportedly stalled, Hasebe would do a fine job as caretaker, and Frankfurt is one of the most livable cities for a Japanese family to live in its own bubble.

25. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Given the situation, I doubt Porto would care too much about the loan fee\wage. Anything is better than paying a player in full and not using him (which is the current situation).
    Personally, I wasn't viewing the loan necessarily as a loan with option to buy with pre-agreed terms, it doesn't have to be so complicated.
    There's a lot of stories of loans to a club which go well and then that wake the attention of other clubs (among the recent ones, Dejan Kulusevski's loan from Atalanta to Parma which ended up with Juventus buying him for 35mln)

Then again, if Porto wants to give him a second chance, great for him...