2019-2020 UEFA Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    :)

I suspect you know the answer, but will provide it anyway.

UEFA have all of the games, Legs 1 and 2, assigned "softly" before Leg 1 is played, with the National Associations being told only that their crew is required for a specific Matchday - they are not even told if it is a Tuesday or Wednesday game. But, Yes, UEFA will know who they plan to use on Leg 2 before Leg 1 is played, and unless something outrageous happens, will stick with that appointment.

But by doing it this way, they retain the ability to move a Referee from one game to another, or possibly even take one off a game to give a chance to someone else if the situation allows it, with the only people who know that there was ever a switch being the Referees and their National Associations.

And, yes, that did happen earlier this season.

refinDC, IASocFan, rh89 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, I thought I knew most of the answer, but I truly wasn't sure. So thank you!

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Changing gears, UEL matches for Thursday are below. Given the discussion above, it's important to note again that Italian referees were prohibited from traveling for UEFA matches, so this list undoubtedly includes some adjustments in addition to the last minute ones I note below:

Eintracht : Basel - EKBERG (SWE)
    Istanbul Basaksehir : Kobenhavn - COLLUM (SCO)
    LASK : Manchester United - SOARES DIAS (POR)
    Sevilla : Roma - KARASEV (RUS)
    *Inter : Getafe - VINCIC (SVN)
    Olympiacos : Wolves - TURPIN (FRA)
    **Rangers : Bayer Leverkusen - MARCINIAK (POL)
    ***Wolfsburg : Shakthtar - SKOMINA (SVN)

*Apparently UEFA needed almost to get volunteers for this match. Not quite, but Vincic "accepted" the appointment despite the issues in Northern Italy. Assessor will actually be Italian, which is highly irregular. Also, the VARs changed since their initial announcement. A combined Slovenian/Swiss team seems the most sensible in an effort to limit travel.

**Grinfeld of Israel was on this match and got swapped out for a completely Polish crew.

***Skomina had Italian VARs, despite the prior announcement. They were pulled and swapped out for Spanish VARs.

Skomina here is noteworthy. Apparently he had an injury so he's being eased back in with a UEL match. Seems doubtful we'll see him on UCL next week, too, so that adds some mystery to the last set of leg 2 assignments.

4. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Karasëv has been removed, replaced by Zwayer.

Sevilla FC (ESP) - AS Roma (ITA)
    Referee: Sergei Karasev (RUS) Felix Zwayer (GER)
    Assistant Referee 1: Igor Demeshko (RUS) Marco Achmüller (GER)
    Assistant Referee 2: Maksim Gavrilin (RUS) Jan Seidel (GER)
    Fourth Official: Sergey Lapochkin (RUS) Christian Dingert (GER)
    Video Assistant Referee: Vitaliy Meshkov (RUS) Sascha Stegemann (GER)
    Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Sergei Ivanov (RUS) Marco Fritz (GER)

Absolute chaos in Nyon today; I can remember such fiascos at grassroots level but I never thought I would see it at an international level.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  5. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Skomina is being punished for Bayer Leverkusen - Atlético Madrid performance (I can't remember his MD 1/2 game, he was in EL on MD5), I think. Also I don't think Čeferin's presence, Vinčić's promotion helps him.

I feel really sorry for him, to be honest.

6. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Do you know why this is? I thought he had a good performance.

7. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    UEFA (would) have assessed the Red Card (Serious Foul Play) as incorrect. I would have assessed the situation the same as Skomina did, as SFP.

Besides that, I just have the feeling that there is an agenda against Skomina in UEFA, and unfortunately I think it comes from the very top of the confederation.

I really feel for him.

IASocFan and balu repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think this helps explains his omission from the 2022 candidacy list? Or has he decided to stand down on his own?

9. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    I don't know anything specifically but if I were Skomina I would be bloody fed up about how I was treated in UEFA.

Having been appointed by the committee for the 2018 Final but removed by Čeferin, then started 2018/19 very poorly, when UEFA run out of possible (big) names you undeservedly get pure top clash Liverpool - Napoli, after two good R16 performances you get the 2019 Final, and then after that UEFA essentially dump you.

Not even for normal refereeing politics which is the reality we all accept even as youngsters, which to be fair Skomina benefitted from (Sajn), but so one man can avoid ridiculous allegations of nepotism.

Also it's easy to forget how long Skomina has been around, FIFA referee since 2002 (if I'm not wrong), Elite since about 2009, and EURO 2020 - if indeed he is even there - would be his third European Championship.

In my eyes everything points towards his retirement in the summer (and Çakır's, too).

10. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    These two statements contradict each other... o_O

11. jasonakramer

jasonakramer Member

Apr 27, 2016
  12. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    jasonakramer and LampLighter repped this.
  13. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Looks like this match will not take place anyway, at least not on Thursday. Same with Inter Milan - Getafe.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51831256

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were other angles that make that argument a bit more questionable. That said, there’s almost no expectation this gets called in a professional match. Maybe (if you see the other angles) it should, though.

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    especially since the GK is already holding the ball

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things are about to get incredibly complicated for UEFA competitions: https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/med...5KaoPuAEvqcdyiKMfwV_omeMr3H4bLqDX7enhc3kWuJEE

With a meeting on Tuesday, I wonder what's going to happen for the Tuesday and Wednesday UCL matches. Probably still closed doors so the round can finish, but it would be weird to get some announcement Tuesday about a full stop and then have those matches go through.

As an aside, Makkelie seems to be the tree who fell in the forest when no one was there. I've seen some highlights and he looked excellent yesterday; all reports have read support that perspective, too.

allan_park repped this.
  17. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Manchester City v Real Madrid next Tuesday already called off.

18. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The European season is pretty much over. I suspect the Euros will be canceled as well.

It's really unprecedented what is going on and in a way almost remarkable.

Not to downplay the seriousness of what is going on and the problem this is posing, but major sports leagues and events around the world have pretty much survived everything but the World Wars and even the US leagues still got played during the World Wars.

We are just about to have the first year without a European Cup Final since the competition was implemented. Think about that and all that has happened in Europe these 60 plus years since the competition started. Berlin Wall falling/communism collapsing, wars in Yugoslavia, Eurozone crisis, Mad Cow disease, etc. All went on without barely a hitch.

Sports has made it through countless wars since the World Wars in Europe, economic depressions/recessions, other virus/disease outbreaks, political and social upheaval, etc. but not a more serious strand of the flu.

GearRef and unclesox repped this.
  19. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here in the states. NBA has closed it's doors. So has NHL. All 5 power College sports leagues have cancelled their Basketball championships and does anyone REALLY want to try and watch March Madness without any fans?? I don't think I can take 3 hrs of squeaky shoes... Truly and amazing set of events. I believe even MLB is going to be postponing as well. Oh and I forgot MLS is done as well.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One can make an argument that, in a time of great disruption to everyday life--both from a health perspective and an economical one--the "normalcy" of sports and other entertainment that goes into people's homes is important. Even if behind closed doors.

Of course, if it's an unacceptable health risk to players and other direct participants, that changes things. So even though I subscribe to that argument in theory, I wouldn't make a judgment about any decision that any individual competition made.

All that said, back (sort of) on topic, I suspect you'll see UCL and UEL titles awarded in 2020. It sounds like EURO 2020 will become EURO 2021, which has all sorts of implications and ramifications (women's EURO is same summer, what does it do to Club World Cup?, how is the next Nation's League treated, and fixture congestion for WC22 qualifying). I could be wrong, though. There is a decent sized window to make sure UCL and UEL finishes this year, but it will shrink pretty rapidly. And if any team in the competition faces a widespread outbreak, that changes things dramatically.

21. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Are you sure about this or is it just rumors?

If Ceferin removed Skomina from the 2018 final, why would he approve his appointment for the 2019 final?

22. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    #947 allan_park, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    Off topic, I know, for the Referee Forum, but what I think that we might see - if we get lucky and the "shut-down" lasts no more than 4 weeks - is that the Euros will be pushed back a year, even though it will clash with Women's Euros, and that would allow the European Domestic seasons, and potentially UCL and UEL to complete in the 4-week window that is currently set aside for the Euros.

Not ideal, but that would give you the chance to have a complete season while still finishing at the "official" end of season. Just restart as soon as you possibly can, let's say mid/late April (hopefully) and play through to the planned end of Euros, if needed.

Obviously some teams/players would be playing much later than they are used to, and for them their "summer break" would be much shorter than planned, but it would be no worse than it would be for those players who would have played into the latter stages of the Euros anyway.

Of course, if the shut-down lasts more than 4 weeks, this option doesn't necessarily work.

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, this really seems like the only option. And I say that as someone with tickets to EURO QFs and SFs, who expects to be hugely disappointed next Tuesday.

Do you think UEFA will scrap the final EURO 2020 playoffs or still try to play them behind closed doors? It's hard to see exactly where they could fit on the calendar going forward, since the Nations League restarts in September and then WC qualifying starts March 2021. All international dates are spoken for. Maybe some sort of January mini-tournament?

24. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    I don't think they will scrap them, but the urgency to fit them in this season goes away if the Finals are pushed back to 2021.

As you say, though, the schedule next season is going to be tight, as always, but I think they'd probably try to get them played early in the new season, around the same time as the early UCL Qualifiers, possibly in mid-August.

Not ideal, but I dont see any other option that works, unless we get REALLY lucky and have only a 2-3 week shutdown, and having cancelled the Euros, we might then be able to find a week in June that you could fit them in.

25. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    He did very well, was wise to the gamesmanship and other dark arts tactics of Atletico and Simeone, and put a stop it very firmly. This
    in contrast to Marciniak in the first leg who seemed to have no idea about what was going on,especially the targeting of Mane. Very good "Teflon" refereeing by Makkelie IMO.

PH

IASocFan repped this.