2019-2020 UEFA Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Just awful. Before you would quietly go and warn the bench and there would be no replay shown and if some of the assistants started popping off you just sacrifice one or two of them and the rest of the bench would get the message.

Now you get this "spectacle."

The game is becoming a mess from an officiating and laws of the game standpoint.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'm inclined to agree at that level. But at the youth level, I think coach cautions are very valuable. New refs often have trouble communicating what a "tell"means; and new or daddy coaches often have trouble understanding even a fairly clear "tell." But everyone understands what the yellow card means. And it also is trackable by youth leagues that care about coach behavior so that they can address misbehaving coaches in a way they may not learn about as clearly without cards being shown for cautions.

mathguy ref repped this.
  3. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Not that a referee who works at this level needs my advice, but I can't help wonder how the scene would have played out if he had shown the head coach the card from a greater distance, turned, and returned his attention to the players on the field.

IASocFan and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree that the first incident should have been dealt with more severely, I actually think that an argument could be made that the challenge by Neymar should have been a straight red card. Frustration or not, that type of challenge has no place in the game.

5. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    When I saw the title of the video was Red Card, I assumed he got a straight red, especially after seeing the tackle but I was surprised to see the second yellow, instead.

6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I am now. Showing youth coaches cards sends an unmistakable message to the coach that the crowd also understands - "The coach has been warned by the referee."

At the professional level with fourth officials and headsets, carding coaches is not necessary. The one and only (somewhat) positive I see from it is that it can put the coaches under the same jurisdiction as players for suspensions related to multiple yellow cards. However, I don't think that's necessary. Professional referees can simply write in game reports whether a coach received a "caution", and the leagues can treat accordingly related to coaches being suspended for "card accumulation".

7. https://www.knvb.nl/
    VAR moment and the ref and VAR were right about the goalie foul.

8. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    #858 balu, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Europa League Round of 32, 2nd Leg

Espanyol - Wolves: GUIDA (ITA) [Valeri (ITA)]
    Istanbul Basaksehir - Sporting CP: MATEU LAHOZ (ESP) [Hernandez Hernandez (ESP)]
    Ajax - Getafe: SIDIROPOULOS (GRE) [Zwayer (GER)]
    Porto - Leverkusen: KOVACS (ROU) [Di Bello (ITA)]
    Celtic - Copenhagen: SOARES DIAS (POR) [Lopes Martins (POR)]
    Basel - APOEL: KRALOVEC (CZE) [Gil (POL)]
    Sevilla - Cluj: TREIMANIS (LVA) [Attwell (ENG)]
    Arsenal - Olympiacos: MASSA (ITA) [Fabbri (ITA)]
    LASK - AZ Alkmaar: JOVANOVIC (SRB) [Pinheiro (POR)]
    Man Utd - Brugge: GÖZÜBÜYÜK (NED) [Kamphuis (NED)]
    Inter Milan - Ludogorets Razgrad: SIEBERT (GER) [Dankert (GER)]
    RB Salzburg - Frankfurt: BASTIEN (FRA) [Millot (FRA)]
    Benfica - Shakhtar Donetsk: KUIPERS (NED) [van Boekel (NED)]
    Malmö - Wolfsburg: COLLUM (SCO) [Kavanagh (ENG)]
    Gent - Roma: SANCHEZ MARTINEZ (ESP) [del Cerro Grande (ESP)]
    Braga - Rangers: EKBERG (SWE) [Makkelie (NED)]

With 16 matches in the same week (plus 4 UCL matches) all having VAR, it feels as if almost every referee we are used to is in action in some role. All 10 Italian FIFA referees are in action this midweek, plus Giacomelli who is not on the FIFA list but serves as 4th official in the Arsenal - Olympiacos game.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maybe it's not surprising to see Kuipers "drop down" to the Europa League as this might be the most difficult of the matches. Anyone know how common this is?

10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Mateu Lahoz is working the same day. And Soares Dias and Collum and several other regular UCL referees are as well.

It's somewhat common but it's going to be much more common now because of VAR. Only so many officials are trained and trusted to use VAR so now that the UEL has VAR in the knockout stages, the overall pool of officials available for these games is much smaller than it was for any previous year. You have several officials who have worked twice between last week and this week, which is much more rare than the idea of a higher-caliber Elite referee "dropping" down to UEL for a match. You even have Gil of Poland working three times as a VAR.

Long way of saying that it's not surprising. Kuipers will get a leg 2 UCL match. I imagine it will be one of the two in England.

Orange14 and IASocFan repped this.
  11. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Is Brych the referee with the highest number of 2CT in UCL history?

rh89 repped this.
  12. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Brych loves himself some UCL 2nd caution red cards.

I swear I think he gives a couple every season.

He's probably given more in the CL than some MLS referees have ever done in their entire MLS careers.

rh89 repped this.
  13. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    If anyone has video, I'm surprised there was not two VAR interventions for Turpin. First, I thought there was a hand ball against Chelsea in the penalty area. Second, immediately before the VAR red card, I thought there should have been a penalty for Chelsea (assuming it was in the area - was right around the top of the box).

I'm okay with the VAR red card and don't know that Turpin could have really caught that in real time, as it's only on replay you can see the retaliatory nature of it.

Despite these KMIs, I thought he had a good game.

14. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Didn't see the second, but this is the first incident...

streamja.com/XnJW

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the hair-splitting era!

In all seriousness, I think you can argue that either way. The body was unnaturally bigger prior to the shot, but the motion of the arm is to bring it down and tuck it in. If this has to be a handball/penalty, then it really stems from an unspoken principle that the ball can't hit you while you're in the process of "un-bigging" yourself once you're too big. I think people "expect" this to be a handball/penalty but I'm not entirely convinced that the LOTG language mandates that this is. So I'm comfortable with no VAR intervention. Of course, I would have also been comfortable with this being called a penalty on the field. And with all our talk recently (and evidence) about how the powers that be seem to think all handball decisions can be black & white, I wonder if this would have been overturned if it was called.

As for the other incident, I'm sure we'll have video soon. But I saw it on the broadcast and no way it was a penalty for the challenge by Boateng; and it definitely wasn't worthy of VAR intervention even if you somehow argue it was a foul.

The red card was correct. Turpin was guessing and got it as a yellow. That said, I'm surprised there was an intervention there, actually. A situation that almost certainly wouldn't have got an intervention in the EPL. Good to see in this case but just another data point to add to the overall confusion for fans.

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think IFAB would say this should be a hand ball; I don't think it should be. But it is the kind of call that I don't think VAR should be used for--in either direction.

(And even where the arms were at their worst gets into the whole definition (or lack there of) regarding "natural" position--that was a perfectly natural position for arms to be in for balance for the kind of lunging body motion the player was making.)

Pierre Head and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  17. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004

I was watching and I never realized there was an OFR for the red card. It was really, really quick.

just a non-referee note, Bayern is good at the football.

18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    That is why I didn't bother even bringing it up, after the incidents last week. Most people have no idea
    what incidents will result in what decisions, even people like us, with decades of active experience in the game.

I have just resigned myself to this totally bizarre era we are now in.

PH

roby, IASocFan and Orange14 repped this.
  19. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Brych has just handled his 57th UCL match. This takes him past Kim Milton Nielson on 56 into first place alone. In third place is Wolfgang Stark with 51.

In his 57 games since his debut in 2008 (Liverpool 3-1 PSV), Brych showed 227 yellow cards, 16 yellow/red cards, and 4 red cards. Assistant Mark Borsch was also with Brych for his debut, but the two were not connected by headset: Back then headset was required for international matches but not for the Bundesliga, and UEFA could not find Brych one that he was happy with in short notice, so they made an exception and let him referee without one.

Congratulations, Dr. Felix Brych!

https://www.kicker.de/770629/artikel

refinDC, IASocFan and Pierre Head repped this.
  20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, though, I can't think of a moment in the last 25 years when I would be absolutely certain about the appropriate outcome for this incident at the professional level. I think this has fallen in the "seen it given, seen it not" bucket for a long, long time.

So it's not really that we don't know what the outcome will be anymore. We never did. It's that in the past, the uncertainty was okay (at least in the referee community). Now, we're essentially being told there is no uncertainty and that there almost always can be an objectively correct decision. And, seen through that lens, I agree with you that on the very close plays like this, I sometimes have little to no idea what that allegedly objectively correct decision is supposed to be.

IASocFan and Pierre Head repped this.
  21. The first penalty prompted Nijhuis to have a chat with referees and KNVB about the VAR role. He was called to the screen and when seeing the push, according to the rules he had to give a penalty.
    However, nobody had seen the push and nobody was asking for a penalty, no players, nor the Feyenoord fans. It had zero influence on what was going on with the ball. But the moment he was called to the screen, Nijhuis couldnot ignore the foul as he sees it on the screen. He wonders if that's a correct way to do the VAR.
    Use google translate:
    https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...-zeist-gaan-praten-over-rol-van-var~a835192d/

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what I'd actually be responding to in the above and I think nuance is likely getting dropped in translation, so I'm going to drop it.

Back on yesterday's matches...

The red card OFR and non-PK call in Chelsea: https://streamable.com/89ne2

Brych's 2CT: https://streamable.com/kmu8n

23. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Thanks, nice response.
    Well, OK, to an extent regarding "absolutely!" But I think that for those previous 25 years, this would meet the criteria of no PK at least 85-90% of the time. A hard shot/pass from close range and the defender turning his back towards the ball, not knowing where it is. Yes, sometimes, somebody might give the PK. But now with the newer interpretations and applications the uncertainty is much higher, and it is coupled with a real 50-50 based on very similar incidents from match to match.

We are almost saying the same thing!

Which is of course absurd and leading to all the confusion and controversy.

Which sadly is not how it should be for well-trained people.

PH

IASocFan repped this.
  24. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Orsato is nailing his KMI today. Big penalty and later DOGSO-F on Ramos correctly spotted outside the PA by AR1.

25. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    No argument about these decisions. Quite clear and obvious really.
    Even I correctly predicted the outcomes this time!:rolleyes:

PH