2019-2020 UEFA Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who's on the Rosenborg-PSV match?

2. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    UMUT MELER (TUR)

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're litigating coach-referee interactions in the media now from a one-sided perspective after the advent of yellow cards?! No way!!!

The substitution at the nearest point was definitely the stupidest law change this year for the game as a whole. But cards for non-players/substitutes, at the professional level, is either a tie or a close second. More attention on referees. More hostility toward referees. An elevation of coaches and their already large egos. And less attention on, you know, the actual playing of the sport.

Orange14 repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My answer to both questions is a sheepish "I don't know."

On the former, I presumed they'd be in the box scores on the UEFA websites, but maybe not? I think a physiotherapist was dismissed in one instance yesterday, so stuff like that could be hard to record correctly in real-time for someone not involved in the officiating team.

As for the accumulation issue, I am sure that is documented. I just don't know where and don't have that readily available.

5. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    I don't know. At least I couldn't find them.

For accumulation, I guess we just have to wait until a coach gets suspended to find that out from the media. Or there is no accumulation rule for coaches yet, which would be somewhat strange.

6. I wonder if disciplinary sanctions of people are under the now very strict privacy laws in the EU. Is it still legal to publish those data by FA's/UEFA?

7. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Would referees have to card players in private from now on then? :D

8. :ROFLMAO:
    Maybe a huge handkerchief to the rescue: Ref to player: look under my handkerchief to see what card I gave you. Then the player heads to the dressing room. Rara...what was the card shown:p

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Don't the Laws say somewhere that refs are obligated to explain their decisions to the satisfaction of the manager? :rolleyes:

IASocFan repped this.
  10. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Actually this is a key appointment. It is essentially a derby game between two teams on opposite sides of
    an international bridge that hate each other! Will need a tough official, Aytekin fits the bill.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...penhagen-collide-in-europe?CMP=share_btn_link

PH

balu and IASocFan repped this.
  11. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Interesting, wasn't aware of this rivalry. Still, Aytekin was doing CL matches a few years ago (most memorably the Barcelona - PSG match), so for him to be doing more EL matches these days is a step down.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally saw the clip of the Rocchi yellow card to a player for not leaving at the nearest boundary.

https://streamable.com/ahuzy

So the player is instructed where to leave. He doesn’t. He gets a yellow card. Then he STILL leaves where he wants.

This makes a referee look impotent. And I bet it saved no time.

fischietto and RedStar91 repped this.
  13. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    You mean Orsato?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed!

15. Wow, in the Alkmaar - Man United: MAZEIKA (LTU) match, the ref really hated to put the ball on the dot of doom. At least 2 clear penalties not given.

16. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Dot of doom" ;)

17. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yea but while a second caution might be deserved it would likely be the end of the career for the referee that handed it out..

18. Do you really think that would be the case?

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. So what’s the point of the law? Quite literally all it did was make the referee look terrible.

I guess you can argue it makes a player think twice about caution accumulation, but when you start looking for that bank shot you’re admitting it does nothing for the actual officiating and management of the match.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slight hyperbole. But I don’t think it would have been good. There’s a reason he let him keep going.

Thezzaruz repped this.
  21. The coach Ten Hag wasnot happy with the action of Promes. He called it foolish as it can be a disadvantage further up in the tournement as it all is very close (in the group) and everybody is needed because of that.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. The body language of his teammates showed they didn’t like the delay. But they still then helped shepherd him to the midfield point. If he had received a 2CT for what he did, the coach would be singing a different tune. As it stands, everyone is happy with the referee’s actions. But again, what did the new rule accomplish? We could always card delays on substitutions.

23. It could be improved by making the rule that in such cases not only the player subbed off, but also the captain gets a yellow card. Like in the wall breaking out too soon several times, the player on the outside position gets a card, regardless if he was the one to move to soon.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha. No way. Then it would NEVER get called.

25. Demmit. Thought to have the brilliant solution.
    However it can be put in the laws and executed a couple of times by specifically ordering the ref to do it in the briefings. Just to scare the hell out of coaches. They never know when it will strike again.