2019-2020 Super League [r]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by RobtheAggie, Jun 11, 2019.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With one match left, there is still one big thing to play for.

3 Aug
    Basel - Luzern
    FCZ-Thun
    Servette - Sion
    Xamax - Lugano
    YB - FCSG

YB has won the league. Xamax relegated. FCSG 2nd, Basel, 3rd. and Servette 4th. The big one that remains is will Thun or Sion finish in 9th place and face Vaduz. Here are the options

Sion Win and Thun win - Thun in 8th, Sion to play Vaduz.
    Sion Win and Thun draw - Sion in 8th, Thun to play Vaduz.
    Sion Win and Thun loss - Sion in 8th, Thun to play Vaduz.
    Sion draw and Thun win - Thun in 8th, Sion to play Vaduz
    Sion draw and Thun Draw - Thun in 8th, Sion to play Vaduz
    Sion draw and Thun loss - Sion in 8th, Thun plays Vaduz due to goal differential.
    Sion Loss and Thun Win - Thun in 8th, Sion to play Vaduz.
    Sion loss and Thun draw - Thun in 8th, Sion to play Vaduz.
    Sion loss and Thun loss - Thun in 8th, Sion to play Vaduz.

As both teams are away, it all depends on how hard Servette plays. They sat 7 starters in their last match. I hope they go all out, and beat Sion.

2. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Super League Barrage

Thun vs Vaduz - Freitag, 7 August - 18.15 CET
    Vaduz vs Thun - Montag, 10 August - 18.15 CET

Winner will be whoever scores the most goals over the two legs. Away goals do not have any added weight. If tied after the two legs, extra time and possibly penalties could decide it.

If Vaduz win, they will be in the Super League for the first time since 2017 (and their fifth season in their history), and they will send Thun down to the Challenge League for the first time since 2010.

This should be an exciting matchup with Vaduz having the second best attack in the Challenge League, and they'll be expecting to go onto the front foot against a Thun side who conceded the third most goals in the Super League. Vaduz major weakness is their defending. They haven't kept a clean sheet since a pre-pandemic match against Chiasso when they played to a scoreless draw. In the 13 games since the restart, Vaduz have scored 33 and conceded 18 en route to going 8-3-2. They were the best team in the league since the restart.

Thun has been a strong side since the restart earning 19 points, good enough for the fifth best record in the league over that time, including a positive goal difference. Their terrible start to the season put them in this position, but they are more than capable of holding their own against any Challenge League team.

Overall, I think this will be a very tough tie for Vaudz. Thun is undefeated in their last 7 matches (3-4-0), and Thun have the advantage of having a Super League roster with Super League caliber players. Vaduz are stronger than their individual parts, but there look to be some clear differences between the two sides.

My prediction is for this to being an extremely entertaining tie, but it will be Thun who prevails and stays up.

And I sincerely hope that I am 100% wrong about all of this.

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again I was wrong, Sion wins and finished in 8th. I think that Thun is stronger than Vaduz, but we will see.

4. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    By the way, the Europa League places are set unless Basel wins the Europa League.

1st Qualifying Round - Servette
    2nd Qualifying Round - Basel
    3rd Qualifying Round - St. Gallen

All Europa League games are single leg, played behind closed doors no matter where it's played. The home team will be determined by random draw.

YB will playing the Champions path of the 2nd qualifying round of the Champions League. They will have home and away ties. They will find out their potential opponent on 10 August.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the doubling the points for UEFA Coefficient? I should think that Servette regardless of the draw should win the first round. Depending on the draw get through round 2 as well. Basel should win the 2nd round and depending on the draw round three get through that one as well.

6. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I believe that they only get points for going through, but with the new Europa 2 coming, I have no idea how it's all going to work.