2019/2020 Euro Leagues

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Jul 21, 2019.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #276 kgilbert78, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Both Dortmund and Leipzig got knocked out of the German Cup today (though young Reyna scored for Dortmund). Duesseldorf won as well, though Steffen did not play. They have a new coach, so we'll see what happens after Steffen comes back from his injury.

Edit: Reyna is the youngest goal scorer in German Cup history....

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaron d and Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann... what a joke.

5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Same---old---Klin---si,"
    "Al---ways---blam---ing!"

6. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Looks like Oxford is falling after Cadden left.

7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disgusting scenes in Portugal. Moussa Marega, taking racist abuse all game from the Vitoria fans, scores the winning goal for Porto in a 2-1. He points to his skin in the celebration, the fans throw objects (including ripped out chairs) and then Marega walks off.

Equally disturbing, instead of his teammates getting the ref and other players to try and quiet the fans down, they literally hold him hostage on the field for two minutes before the coach finally let's him go. Marega gave the 'fans' a double bird on the way out lol. Terrible.

8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy cow. That's just reprehensible.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shameful.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    1229183034089451520 is not a valid tweet id

Shameful to see my two favorite leagues faced with this so often. It’s a worldwide problem. It’s a problem driven by nationalist politics which will find their ways into everyday life, including the stadium.

The shit has to stop.

Salacious Bum repped this.
  11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t jump on his teammates yet.

1229208830468349952 is not a valid tweet id

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The comments of Guimaraes's president reflect some of the same ignorance that has been seen from presidents of Cagliari, Verona, and other teams in England and throughout Europe. Marega pulls no punches, and good for him...

https://portugoal.net/club-news/1490-portuguese-football-rocked-by-racism

As for the reaction from Vitória Guimarães, coach Ivo Vieira said he would not comment on the incident because he did not fully understand what had happened. Vitória president Miguel Pinto, however, while emphasising that his club condemns discriminatory behaviour, suggested Marega was at fault for provoking the fans.

“We are a club that believes in equality. Indeed there is a phrase at the entrance of the stadium alluding to this. If any of the Vitória fans behaved in a way that goes against this (tenet), due measures will be taken – we will look at the CCTV. However, it seems to us there was provocative behaviour that had the intention of firing up the crowd. This is not the first time this player has taken such an attitude. He was a player of Vitória Guimarães and also wanted to walk of the pitch during a match, and it had nothing to do with racism. The player in question has the profile he has...”

Marega himself took to Social Media to express his disgust in no uncertain terms on his Instagram account:

“I just want to say to these idiots who come to the stadium to shout racist chants… go ******** yourselves. I also thank the officials for not defending me and giving me a yellow card because I defend the colour of my skin. I hope I never meet you again on a football pitch. YOU ARE A DISGRACE!!!!!”

It's a disaster. Liga Nos has been absolutely fantastic this year and is setting up for a great finish. Braga has established themselves as part of a real top 4, possibly even supplanting Sporting on consistency over the past few years. Famalicao has played beautiful football. Guimaraes showed extremely well in Europa league. And now this.....

All while Portugal is the reigning European champions, a team full of players of color and several of immigrated African descent.

Awful.

13. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR made a mess of what would have been a great Chelsea-Man U match.

At some point this inconsistency needs to be addressed.

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Translation: The refs are no longer favoring Chelsea and it's showing in the point total.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not this time.

Even my Man U fan friends were shocked today.

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's the same crap Chelsea pulled for a long time.

17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I’m not going to convince you of anything but Fred pushes Cesare who then pushed the other Man U player and Cesare gets a foul? No one sees it that way.

Maguire says he was keeping Bats from falling on him by kicking him in the groin?

C’mon. That’s MLS level incompetence.

Salacious Bum repped this.
  18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm not saying Chelsea didn't get screwed. They did. I am saying this is the crap Chelsea has been getting away with for a while and I'm not upset when it's turned against them.

19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The top 4 always seemed to get benefit and Chelsea certainly got some against teams that were outside the top, but Man U was always the one to benefit the most IMO. This year it looks like VAR favors Liverpool.

Today was especially horrific from an officiating standpoint regardless of who was playing.

20. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I don't like the way they are applying VAR to offside calls. They showed a picture of Giroud with half his foot closer to the goal than McGuire and proclaimed it definitive evidence of offside even though the ball wasn't in the picture. It was the sort of call that the best AR in the world in perfect position would not have made.

21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game was especially horrific from a "good soccer" standpoint. That was an awful display by both teams.

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    You are not allowed to complain about refs if you have cheered for Costa.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the correct call. He was offside.

I keep saying this... the problem with these off-by-an-inch offside decisions isn’t VAR. It’s the offside rule itself. They need to re-write the rule so that any part of the attacker’s body can keep him ON, as opposed to any part of his body can make him offside.

DGA57v2, CybrSlydr and stanger repped this.
  24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Chelsea had one shot on goal.

25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would match with the spirit of the change in the Law back in the day. But, of course, being a former striker, I'd say that..;):D

Mind you I once got called offside because my socks were the same color as the defender's (the ref did apologize).