2019-20 Offseason Rumors & Player Movement Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Nov 10, 2019.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reliable finisher off of the bench for the playoffs, and a spot starter for when they are missing players for youth national team call ups? Veteran leadership?

Plus Diomande is injury prone.

Other than all of that, I have no idea.....

2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like swallows returning to Capistrano, reports are that Mark Watson is back in Buenos Aires.

The Loons are going to get SOMEBODY out of all these frequent flyer miles.

Whether or not it's Reynoso remains to be seen.

mbar and Dead Fingers repped this.
  3. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Monterrey is basically saying they terminated Pizarro's contract so he can sign with Miami:
    https://www.rayados.com/noticias/15026/comunicado-oficial

I've never understood why teams do this, is it so they can do some shady business dealing "off the books"? For tax purposes? I'd assume teams would want the big payday of a transfer fee...same thing just happened with Piatti in Montreal, there was all this talk of a transfer fee for him and then Montreal just terminated his contract.

4. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I get the Piatti thing. He is older (35) and wanted to return home and the Impact had a lot of cover for him. He is on the higher end of the salary spectrum so I'd think San Lorenzo would have a harder time justifying a fee for him. You do good by a player that has been a loyal servant, make a deal with San Lorenzo in some other ways (they signed a younger player from them on a free so far), and I think everyone comes out the other end happier and everyone benefits.

The Pizarro situation is confusing as hell and I'm waiting until everything is official before I even consider what happened there. Reports from Mexico were 20 million for a fee and reports here were it was closer to 10 million (even yesterday Tenorio was reporting that fee). So for the club to suddenly say go on a free just seems.....wrong. I feel like something is lost in translation there because it really doesn't fit with the whole situation.

I do think it is funny the number of cameras following players in airport signings or almost signings we've had this off-season compared to others.

AeroNaught repped this.
  5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL re-signed Luke Mulholland yesterday, bringing the rostered players to 30. So unless there's a cut coming, Rossi isn't going to be signed.

6. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think it's translation and which version are you reading. My understanding is the clause itself was around 17-18 million (round to 20), but of after taxes it becomes more like 12 million (round to 10). Monterrey was fighting Miami to pay those taxes too so they could have the 17 million, which is nonsense and in the end didn't happen.

So, Miami paid around 20, Monterrey got around 10 (roundings)

I guess that it's the normal in a transfer fee that the buying team also covers the taxes, but in this case we are talking about a contract buyout which is highly uncommon in Mexico (I can't remember of any case) and that's why Monterrey was so angry.

ElNaranja repped this.
  7. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    The part that is confusing people is the English translation of Monterrey's statement:

"Today, the notification received by the player Rodolfo Pizarro was received in our offices in the sense that, in order to suit his interests, he unilaterally terminates his contract with the Monterrey Rayados Football Club, since his desire is to continue his career Sports with the new MLS franchise based in Miami."

The bolded part is read by some as he is going on a free. I think it is just a weirdly worded sentence that doesn't translate correctly to English. We would say that his buyout was matched and he is leaving to go to Miami. The wording of unilaterally terminating his contract could make sense in that context (since Monterrey may not wish him to leave) but it just sounds weird. But everything out of Mexico for this entire saga has made no damn sense.

DCYC repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Money under the table?

9. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    #284 PhillyMLS, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Stateside report that the Loons may finally get their man.

I was thinking earlier about how many borderline Argentine national team players that have come into MLS in the past few years. Now Reynoso isn't one, but you have Pity and Pavon that have played with Figel getting a call-up but no playing time. Rumored done deals are Gimenez to Chicago (a cap in 2018) and and Alan Franco to LA (a cap in 2018 as well). On the U-23 side you have Barco who was always a prospect and Castellanos that played his way into the team while in MLS. Then at the U-20 level you have Carranza and Pelligrini. Those are all players that are either in or on the fringes of an Argentine team.

How many of those sorts of players would you even have thought an MLS team could pull in even in 2017? That year the player closest to being in the Argentine picture was probably Thomas Martinez as he was only 22 and had 10 U-20 caps. I think there were only three players with full caps and they were Blanco (last in 2010), Maxi Morales (one in 2011), and Bernadello (one in 2009). That is a pretty crazy (to me) change in player recruitment over the course of a few seasons. And now you have a team in Minneapolis/St Paul grabbing a starter (7th in minutes this year) from Boca?

Edit: Also forgot that several more reports have come out from Argentina saying Miami will sign Almendra, a current U-20 Argentine who is playing for Boca.

STR1 repped this.
  10. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As we see the salary cap raise, we will see better talent in the league. Really looking forward to how the league will grow in the next 5 years with the new CBA. Just hope they really don't go through with the 3rd DP U23 rule as that will set the league back. We need less restrictions to build rosters not more.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Braian Galvan to Colorado as well

12. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Yup, wish that was the 4th DP.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports are that Mark Watson is flying back to...wait for it...

Buenos Aires on Monday.

In other news, Peter Jackson announced he will cast Martin Freeman as Mark Watson in his new blockbuster trilogy, #ReynosoWatch...

Dead Fingers repped this.
  15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was going to be cast in the spy thriller: "The Man Who Flew Too Much".... ;)

Bluecat82 repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured we'd get 'The Guy From Las Canitas' first

Bluecat82 repped this.
  17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess who's back in Buenos Aires...

This thing has more lives than a Time Lord.

TOAzer repped this.
  18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be the greatest story of unrequited love in the annals of the game.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  19. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    This was quite the surprise...

His knees are pretty shot but hopefully they hold out for a couple more years.