2019-20 Offseason Player Movement (Omnibus Edition)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Lennon will make a fraction of what Gressel will earn. Basically he was less than 6 months leaving for free.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    What other MLS team has a Pity Martinez or Ezekiel Barco to come off the bench and join the lineup? I'm surprised they moved Gressel as he wasn't expensive and seemed like a pretty useful player.

4. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Interesting thing about Lennon is that he and Gressel have been in the league the same length of time as both started in 2017. Despite that, Lennon will still be younger at the end of this season than Gressel was when he first started. Gressel was 23 and about 2.5 month when he played his first MLS game. Lennon doesn't turn that until sometime in December of this year.

Obviously that doesn't mean much but Lennon still has a couple years to grow and become as good or better than Gressel. Now, will he become that good? I actually doubt it. But I don't think anyone saw Gressel ever being as good as his became and he probably wasn't as talented (or nearly as seasoned) when he first came in the league as Lennon is now.

Wasn't expensive this year, but he was likely looking to get up to max salary this year. This was his big contract coming up so he wasn't going to settle for some small bump to 250k or 300k. He was going to get paid like a starter or he was going to walk for a free at the end of the year. This way he gets paid, Atlanta gets paid, and he gets the opportunity to become USMNT eligible in the next few years (which is something he has talked about and he knows he isn't getting called up by Germany).

5. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Basically the league allowed him to get paid reasonably close to what he could have received in Europe so it wouldn't be a lose, lose, lose for everyone. It is a lot better to make everyone winners when you are trying to get a deal over the line and the people that run the league are not dummies.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, I got Lennon and Hyndman's wages confused. My bad.

Still, not like the difference between Gressel's and Lennon's 2020 contracts should be viewed as deal breakers. ie: Is Lennon a good enough replacement for Gressel to save $500k?

We shall see.

7. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    What's the likelihood that Atlanta's moves are foreshadowing a more generous CBA that they plan to take advantage of this summer?

8. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm sorry, but this is an awful argument. Which of the key players have they been forced to move on from due to cap reasons other than Gressel? They sold Almiron at a premium and replaced him with an even more expensive player in Pity. Parkhurst retired. Garza was only making $175k and was traded for a nice sum of allocation money.

Criticize if you want how they've decided to build their team following the sale of Almiron, but it has little to do with extra expansion money running out.

superdave, ElNaranja, Ismitje and 4 others repped this.
  9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that cut and dry. Atlanta would have held on to Gressel's rights even after this year - he wouldn't have been a free agent, so long as Atlanta made him a bona fide offer. Sure, he would have been free to go play in a different league, but he'd be stuck with Atlanta in MLS unless some other team made an offer for his rights.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not from the Sounders, but it is from his current team:

11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Chich calls MLS the “beginning of his retirement” (if the translation is correct).

******** him.

Thx,

Jay!

12. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loons send DP F Angelo Rodriguez on a one year loan to Deportivo Cali.

13. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks like the evil SUM Empire forced him to sign that big money deal. Tragic.

14. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Hmm. Did they just get married to American spouses? Are they political refugees?

16. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Well, shit. Between him and Juan Fernando Caicedo leaving, who am I going to reliably watch cock-up a bunch of easy finishes this year?

C-Rob and Dead Fingers repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi
    [​IMG]

C-Rob repped this.
  18. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that Inter took advantage of the fact that it signed these players last summer, long before they were needed, and decided to sponsor them for immigration rather than applying for the non-immigrant P-1 visa for professional athletes. That's something that can happen in a few months with some good lawyering, and the team had the luxury of not needing to get them into the squad immediately.

sitruc, ElNaranja, jason1551 and 4 others repped this.
  19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Yeah, I watched him score a brace right in front of me on opening day of last year. I'll reserve my smack talk for someone else that didn't own the team I support. It is much like you won't hear me talk crap to Kei Kamara. I watched a bunch of people do that to him when he was with the Crew and he dropped a brace. General rule for me is if you beat the crap out of my team I'm not tempting fate by talking smack.

20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Nope, otherwise Gressel would have been a citizen already.

21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean? The theory was that Miami actually acquired these players last summer, but because they didn't need them to play until March, the club didn't bother trying to acquire P1 visas for them but, instead, sponsored them as employees and sought permanent residency (i.e., green card) status for them instead. A process which has taken maybe half a year or so.

How is that like Gressel's case?

In any event, were talking about permanent residency, not citizenship.

superdave repped this.
  22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    If getting Green Card immediately was a possibility, Gressel would get it on his marriage and then a citizenship in 6 months.

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gressel does have his green card. Marriage reduces the waiting period for citizenship eligibility to three years instead of five after getting the green card.

sitruc, jason1551, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I don't get is that they loaned the players to Argentine teams so they did not stay in Florida, and normally the people in the queue have to take care to stay in the US during the process.

sitruc and rslfanboy repped this.