News: 2019/20 Offseason Movement Speculation & Rumors

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Union42, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this quickly as “Brujeria...”

Disappointed.

2. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The Union paid a transfer fee..."

They buried the lede. Sugardaddy paid a transfer fee. Holy crap!

Union42, cwelch999 and sentrido repped this.
  3. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  4. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did, BUT the amount was not disclosed. For all we know it was $3.50.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  5. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Tannenbaum reported $375K.

Interesting article on Trusty at mlssoccer.com. Sounds like maybe when they figured out he wanted more money than they were willing to pay, they just decided to demote him and move on.

6. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have preferred Trusty over McKenzie and I think they made a big mistake if it was either or. Starting caliber homegrowns are a huge benefit to salary cap - it makes you wonder if we didn't have a cheapskate owner if this would have happened.

7. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If a player isn't a dp then does cheapskatedness really factor in to this kind of decision?

8. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The endgame for these HGs has always been to sell them on for a fee. If Trusty was unwilling to sign on past next year, and there weren't suitors, then his value was diminishing by the month. Personally I think they got good compensation out of Colorado, and I'm pretty comfortable with Jack and McKenzie starting. Remember that as a 3rd or 4th round pick, Jack was basically making the same as a homegrown before his extension. In some respects it's a classic example of having too many good players to field, except one of them is locked up for a while, one just signed an extension, and the other one didn't.

9. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they got pretty good value, I just rate him more highly than McKenzie.

10. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They have different strengths. Mark is a better passer and quicker, Trusty is a little better at positioning and in the air (but Jack is good at that stuff too).

11. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I would actually say that Trusty is the quicker more athletic and more technical of the two, even a better passer. I also thought that one of Trusty’s problems was getting caught out of position and relying to much on his athleticism to recover from his positional errors. I feel like those sorts of mistakes were why he was benched. Anyway time will tell, if anything McKenzie seems to be the better locker room guy and leader. It says a lot about the character of a player when they run their mouths after leaving a team. That said, we don’t know the full story, so maybe he did get shafted.

12. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't know what he has to be so salty about, it's not like he got sent to the Thai League 3 or traded for a sack of balls.

13. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the professional scouts view McKenzie as the better prospect, and the player with higher upside. Trusty is not a confident passer, and would needlessly turn the ball over, or clear it out of bounds even when he had teammates open and available for simple outlets.

McKenzie already makes passes that split the lines, and is much calmer with the ball at his feet in pressure situations. Him and Elliot are just better suited to how Tanner wants the Union to play.

It's telling that McKenzie was called into the U20's WC despite not playing or practicing prior to that while recovering from injury and having his appendix removed.

Just take a trip over to the USMNT boards.....fans views of players are often way off base compared to how players actually play., and to how professional scouts see them.

16. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look on whoscored and compare their defensive numbers, it seems like we lost the better player. It is harder to evaluate defensive players, especially center backs, so if you and everyone else sees McKenzie as the better player, then I'll just be happy with that. Just remember that Trusty was ahead of McKenzie on the depth chart the entire time that they played together until the latter stretch of the season. He has double the starts that McKenzie had. So it's not like it isn't close.

17. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Berhalter also just (right now) called McKenzie into the full USMNT camp. Aaronson too.

Dulliwhig repped this.
  18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trusty plays LCB, McKenzie had been slotted in at RCB. Due to Trusty's sophomore slump Curtin chose to play Mckenzie at LCB when he regained full fitness.

19. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I recall this... basically it was more of a situation of McKenzie being behind Elliot initially then proving himself at LCB when given the opportunity.

20. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So at this point, what starting positions are up for grab? Are there any straggler signing rumors that someone with their head in the sand since the end of the season would not have heard?

21. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much every midfield slot other than Bedoya's as well as Kacper's partner up top.

We were linked to some random Czech kid in midfield and a potential Monteiro return.

22. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union are linked to Matej Oravec: .

He was at the Eagles game yesterday.

Yo-Joe repped this.
  23. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what the future considerations are because this seems like a crap move:

"Philadelphia Union acquired the No. 17 spot in the MLS Allocation Ranking and future considerations from DC United in exchange for the No. 21 spot in the Allocation Ranking and the No. 21 overall pick in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft, pres. by adidas."

24. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wait, there was a draft today?...Okay, looks like the Union traded their 1st and 2nd round picks and still have the 73rd, 99th and 101st overall selections. I'm sure they are looking for something specific with those spots or maybe they are going to bundle them along with Jay Ajayi and go all in on getting Ricky Williams for their eMLS team. I don't follow e-sports but it appears Ajayi got his ass handed to him today going 0-12. That's so Union. Oh, also looks like it was hosted here so no home-field advantage. Is that a thing in eMLS. Feel bad for the folks that wanted to rep the Union in this thing and got trumped by a publicity stunt.

cwelch999 repped this.