2019-20 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Oct 7, 2019.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, the FO deserves some kudos, regardless of what we feel about the signings, for getting all the major signings done before camp opens next week. Plenty of FO's in the past would just be waking up from their offseason hibernation around now, the current FO has 25 signed players including solid 2-deeps in almost every position (We still need to sign Kelly at RB). Its nice to go into camp that settled.

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Geez, that seems like pretty good depth for the Rapids. So we didn't get a big splash guy but it seems like there's a lot of useful parts.

If it's a 4-3-3, there's a pretty good choice of players who can play up there:

Benezet
    Namli (I assume he'll be able to play a lot of spots?)
    Nicholson
    Lewis
    Shinyashiki
    Rubio
    Kamara
    Mezquida

The centerbacks are Trusty and Abubakar, with Moor, Wilson, and Ford if healthy in reserve.

Fullback is still a bit thin, but given that most years we haven't had two passable fullbacks, that's not unusual.

Goalkeeper seems a bit thin as well, depending on how good Rawls is. Irwin seems like he gets hurt a bit so they're going to need their second keeper.

3. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I searched "Braian Galvan" on Twitter and numerous Spanish-language websites and accounts are saying that he's gone to the Rapids, done deal. Also, what I find very encouraging is that Colon fans seem to regard his departure as a tragedy and a big screw-up by the club.

I know we should wait until it's officially official to celebrate, but I can't help but feel a little bit giddy that we, too, are getting the exciting Argentine teenagers.

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason you need to stop with all this, really that's their job to get people in for. How many times does your boss give you Kudo's for showing up to work? ;)

Man has the previous disasters of "RFO" operations lowered the bar for some.

meanderingjeeper and JasonMa repped this.
  5. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

TheWarmBurger, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair, maybe kudos is a bit much, but the improvement from past FOs should be noted.

Andy126, Rod1916 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agree. Maybe we say we are competent now? Sure would be nice if we could reset the bar at "competent" and go up from there some day!

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soaker888, COMtnGuy, m vann and 2 others repped this.
  10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Dude was born this side of Y2K.

That's four players on our roster that were born this side of the new millennium - three homegrowns and one international.

Sebastian Anderson - 317 min in 2019
    Cole Bassett - 1063 min in 2019
    Matt Hundley - 0 MLS min

And now, Braian Galván - who is "a highly touted prospect whose development we’ve been monitoring for some time now . . . He’s a fast, skillful and talented player who has already made his professional debut and has been a part of the Argentine youth national team system. We see great potential in him and couldn’t be more thrilled to have him join our club" - per Pádraig Smith.

I wonder how many minutes he will get in 2020...and if he will be the Jonathan Lewis type. Comes in, shows great promise, but needs a little development.

It's nice that we got him on a free transfer too. Even better!

Soaker888, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  11. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I will also say this, the RFO has done a great job this offseason. I know we've got a really low bar as Rapids fans, but I mean, we're looking at a potentially really special year.

Honest question. What big things, and/or what major successes have the Rapids done since our newest guy Galvan was born? We had a nice playoff stretch in 02-06, but we also need to keep in mind that there were only 10-12 teams back then.

If we only look at 2010 forward, it gets even worse. Aside from winning the cup and that blip on the radar season of 2016, the Rapids really haven't given us anything to be truly hopeful for.

I honestly think that 2020 is going to be one of the best years the Rapids have ever had. And yes, if it implodes in our face this season, feel free to quote me on this and rub it in my face at the end of the season.

However, we have a revamped RFO making really smart moves with low risk and high upside. They have been miserable in the past but seem to have learned from their mistakes. Sure it's their job to do stuff like this. But hey, they are actually doing their job really well for a change! Our off season looks a lot better than a lot of other teams off seasons so far

We also have a coach who was in charge of a dumpster fire before, but has already reproven himself as a solid coach who has learned from his past as well.

In terms of acquisitions, we've got solid, proven MLS talent coming in as our main skeleton, and now we've got low risk-high upside "big" signings coming in to bolster the roster with explosiveness. And, aside from Galvan, all will be with the team for the entirety of the preseason (which starts in two days!).

2020 is looking really bright guys, and I think this 25th year for the team is the start of a new era for the rapids. This off season has honestly been an absolute breath of fresh air compared to years past.

Maybe I've drank too much kool-aid.

But man, I think the Rapids are going to have a whole new look this year - and that look is going to be good. Do I think we'll be tops in the west? Nah. But we will be fun to watch, competitive, and have a real shot at going deep this year.

^That's my prediction for this year.

Soaker888, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the new wave... new millennium roster. I look at is this way.... we have 6 players all 22 or younger, if they pan out, that could command a decent amount of transfer cheddar in the next 1-3 years: Bassett, Lewis, Vines, Anderson, Trusty, and Galvan. The young future is bright. My hope is these young assets are managed well, play integral roles in the team, and don't get the automatic hook if they make some mistakes. I trust Fraser. I trust that he sees these guys as bug assets and he sets them up for success.

COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  13. wesleyaltenburg

wesleyaltenburg New Member

Nov 30, 2019
    1. I can prove his name isn't Will Forbes

2. I know how he gets his info, its purely just pestering anyone he can find

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, after a Twitter dive you can find his "real" (I assume) name.

But credit to him on Galvan, unlike the other ones he tries to claim credit on, he was the first to link him to the Rapids.

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1217855693841059845 is not a valid tweet id

1217857947084054528 is not a valid tweet id

1217863097118945281 is not a valid tweet id

m vann repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @wesleyaltenburg being the moderator I need to step in here and quick. I think we are all aware the "Will Forbes" is presenting to be someone he is not. However, I will not stand for his real contact information to be spread on these boards. No one deserves that. I'm sorry. I just can't have this information here. The posts will be removed shortly.

Rod1916, JasonMa, COMtnGuy and 1 other person repped this.
  18. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unusual spelling (at least here in the US) - Braian. So he's Brian with a brain?

19. wesleyaltenburg

wesleyaltenburg New Member

Nov 30, 2019
    I honestly sent it to a few people to make sure I was seeing it correctly.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1202364165987258370 is not a valid tweet id

Andy126 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soaker888, COMtnGuy and Andy126 repped this.
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    UxSxAxfooty, m vann, Soaker888 and 3 others repped this.
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Now things are getting interesting
    1217953082853576704 is not a valid tweet id

Soaker888 repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, this is Colon trying to save face with its fans after dropping the ball on Galvan. MLS may not be great soccer, but its set up by some of the best business men in the world. I highly doubt we did anything significantly wrong here and worst case we throw some money at Colon to make it go away.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    m vann, Soaker888 and COMtnGuy repped this.