2019-20 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    For some reason this made me think, I hope the 2020 Rapids are not the MLS version of this year's Cleveland Browns.

m vann, therapidsnumbernine and COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    Western Union seems like the most likely new sponsorship, given the Denver ties, Nuggets sponsorship, and their existing relationship with KSE/RFO. Whether or not the team gets a good deal is another matter entirely.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least one semi-confirmed rumor was that Western Union was going to be our first sponsor, until higher-ups at KSE saw what the Rapids were going to get out of them and stepped in to move them to the Nuggets for even a better number. So I'm not expecting them to come back to the Rapids.

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors are MLS is getting rid of the College Player Combine this year (Forever). Another mark against the value of SuperDraft.

22SteveD repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to say there’s no value in the same week our last top draft pick won RotY.

Paranoid Coyote and Rod1916 repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I enjoyed Andre and think he belongs in MLS and hope for better things from him in the future, but someone had to win and this was a very weak year.

22SteveD repped this.
  8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like how Green has evolved as a player but don't think any help Rapids where we need it.

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/10/sourc...o-be-removed-from-mls-allocation-ranking-list

Julian Green, Aron Johannsson and Rubio Rubin are being removed from the MLS Allocation Ranking list for the 2020 season, meaning MLS teams don’t have to use their place in the MLS Allocation order to acquire them, sources have confirmed to SBI. Former U.S. youth national team midfielder Junior Flores is also being removed from the Allocation List.

22SteveD repped this.
  9. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and replacing it with some kind of college all-star event on college cup weekenend, I think.

10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bona fide offers trigger different eligibilities for the expansion and re-entry draft. By extending one a team keeps the rights to a player even if they decline the offer and leave the league and those rights could be “drafted” by another team.

COMtnGuy and 22SteveD repped this.
  12. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Anybody watch the playoffs this weekend? The games were nuts! I would have loved to see the Rapids play this weekend, but man, the level of competition was pretty high. Playing against Seattle would have been a tall task, but a fun game to be in!

Here's hoping next year we continue to build on the success this year and make it in! I really like the new format of the single game eliminations. It's making the playoffs really fun so far.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MrPerfectNot and COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I speed watched a lot of them and was impressed by the level of play and thought the current Rapids would not have advanced on the road (as they likely would have been had they made them) but also wouldn't have been embarrassed (looking at you DC). One thing I did also notice was that we (USA) may no longer have as many top flight goalkeepers as we used to have -- I can't state a number but a larger percentage of goals than probably should have came from GK errors -- imho, ymmv.

I did watch part of the Galaxy match at regular speed and still have the second half to go -- already know the result but will still probably watch it.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy, jrowe13 and Sal Paradise repped this.
  17. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a former roller derby referee, this was delightful. I hope Richard is here next year!

Rod1916, MrPerfectNot and JasonMa repped this.
  18. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a soccer referee, I salute you! I thought I had chaos to deal with...

Rod1916 repped this.
  19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree we wouldn't have advanced, but partially disagree about the being embarrassed. I think it would have depended upon the opposition. Even if we had good form and momentum going into the playoffs, we lack the top level players (read: quality DPs) that are capable of lifting our team past any serious opposition. The LAFC game we ended our season with pretty much proved this. Even with the amount of games we managed to win late in the season, at the end of the day the Rapids are still outclassed by a sufficiently motivated team with a quality roster.

Sal Paradise and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
    Last game of the season we were beaten by the best team in the league. Nothing to be disheartened about that. We would have competed in pretty much anyone of those playoff games i saw. If anything if we had got in, none of the other play off teams would of wanted to face us given our confidence and form.

Sports Yak and Dom. FC repped this.
  21. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or...He blew away the competition.

Paranoid Coyote and JasonMa repped this.
  22. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I would compare it to the U.S. back in the day when we used to make it to World Cups -- no one really expected to see us in the semi-finals but they also didn't want to play us.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000