2019-20 Laws of the Game

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Not sure that what everyone was thinking was the problem here, you stopping play was what tied your hands tbh. Without the whistle a quick "play on" should have worked just as well.

Player expectations don't match the laws because they haven't had time to learn and get used to the new law. If referees don't enforce specifics now then they'll never be able to.

I don't think that's going to work any better though. If that glancing deflection puts the ball in goal you'll have a fun time discussing "significant" and "material". And if you are going to treat similar style of touches differently depending on situation then how is that any clearer than the current wording?

I'd say that @Ghastly Officiating got it right. If the touch on the referee means a sudden and/or unexpected change then do a DB, if not then play on. Seems to be in keeping with both the letter and spirit of the change, shouldn't be a hard message to convey to players either.

2. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    What MassRef said echos what I’ve heard before. Referee to the player expectations. The game is for them. That’s where I get tripped up during theoretical discussions... what to do when player expectations don’t match what the laws spell out.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Except you can't "play on" because it would be a second touch by the kicker so the play would need to be stopped for an IFK to the opponents.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    The Agenda has been released for the leap-day IFAB annual general meeting, and includes reaction/feedback from this the 19/20 changes, but nothing specific. Gotta think that is going to be a really interesting meeting. The League Managers Association has written to IFAB to complain about the handball changes. https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/...tball-lawmakers-share-concerns-handball-rule/ While the letter certainly can't formally raise the issue of revision, I'm not convinced the article is correct that it is "highly unlikely" the handball rule will be on the agenda--I'm hard pressed to imagine that it won't get tweaked in some way, especially as IFAB already did one "well, don't get hung up on the words" clarification.
    upload_2020-2-6_14-2-12.png
    http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/829/111155_030220_AGM_2020_Agenda.pdf

5. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    just updating my original post about ball hitting referee..I apologize if I mislead people. I was given the information by someone ..I then did some research and .... here is IFAB answer

If ball hits referee and it goes out for a goal kick or corner kick then that is the way the game is restarted as the Law says dropped ball only if the ball touches a match official, REMAINS on the field or a goal is scored.

6. GroveWanderer

GroveWanderer Member

Nov 18, 2016
    A referee wouldn't usually end up alone with a player but there's plenty of scope for getting into one-on-one interactions with players and the fact that you're in a position of power/influence over minors means you have a position of authority that could potentially be misused. Unfortunately, there have been plenty of cases where through public interactions, various people (teachers, doctors and priests are just a few that spring to mind) have exploited a position of public trust to leverage access to vulnerable individuals.

At least in England, all referees over the age of 16, who referee games involving players under 18, have to obtain what's called a "DBS Enhanced Criminal Record with Children’s Barred List Check" - and take a Safeguarding Course.

This is based on government legislation which says that anyone involved in activities including managing, training, coaching and supervising as well as giving advice or guidance on well-being, or caring for children must undergo background checks.

7. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    They are more likely to interact with youth referees.

IASocFan and Law5 repped this.
  8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Not to mention how my then-college/grad-age daughter ref'ing HS boys used to get hit on for her number by the players. That could all too easily go the other way.

IASocFan repped this.
  9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I recall discussion about a clarification, I think it was from IFAB, that an accidental handball that led to a teammate gaining possession and scoring was still a handball, despite the language in Law 12. I can't find the reference. Can anyone help?

thanks

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    To answer my own question, it was this:

[​IMG]