2019-20 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I've noticed a slight difference in their players. First, you have to realize that the overwhelming number of competitive club players in So. Calif. are Latino, so both clubs will have a majority of those players. However, the LAG seems to have very few black players, while LAFC has more. The LAG's profile seems to be almost exclusively small, technical players, while LAFC wants a bit of athleticism to go along with that. I know others will dispute my description, but it's not far off.

ielag, TarHeels17 and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I just don't buy it.

Current YNT players from California that aren't latino: Glad, Wright, Klinsmann, Vom Steeg, Marcinkowski, Scott, Walls, Q. Butler, Cowell, Akanyirige, Dunbar, Brewer, Pulskamp

Current USMNT players from California that aren't latino: Lima, Long, Zardes, Baird, Boyd.

Former NT regulars: Donovan, Wynalda, Max-Moore, Caligiuri, Hejduk, Edu, Kirovski, Kljestan, Conrad, Califf, Razov, Rogers

I agree that the majority of the soccer-playing population in California is hispanic. The majority of the soccer-playing population in Texas is hispanic, and the same is true in Illinois, and New York and New Jersey and Georgia and Florida. I know California has one of the highest percentages of hispanics in the country, but its not as if there aren't a lot of hispanics in other states. This is only a problem with the two Southern California MLS academies.

I always say pick the best players, but I have a very hard time believing that the best players in California are 90% latino. We also don't have more players to add to those lists because I think LAG has done a very bad job of developing players over the years, and there are probably some non-latino kids in Southern California that never got proper development and had their careers stall out. Players such as Jamieson, Calvert, McBean are some names that fit that mold.

I still don't think we can say that LAFC is picking players based more on physical and athletic attributes than LAG. They still have undersized keepers (who are good with their feet), smaller holding kids, and incredibly fast or tall players in their team. It looks a lot like what we see at LAG. There are always going to be exceptions, but it looks like a trend to me, and I think a lot of talented kids in that area are not getting proper development because they are non-Latino players in California. San Jose also should get some criticism for not producing these players either, although their academy teams look a lot more diverse. Does Northern California not have a very big hispanic population?

bpet15 repped this.
  3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #403 butters59, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    OK. There is one thing that everybody is dancing around trying to avoid. Nevertheless.
    On average Latino and Middle Eastern kids mature earlier than whites or blacks. You wanna your youth team to win?

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It's a good point. Athletic and physical attributes definitely matter, and you are right that this become a bigger problem for players who aren't very good in these areas at higher levels. There's also an advantage (that is often talked about) for certain players who excel in physical and athletic attributes early on, but a lot of players have these areas of their game develop later on than early on. Latino players tend to have more technical attributes than physical or athletic attributes, so they should on average be better at lower levels.

It goes without saying that these patterns in attributes for different demographic groups don't apply to every player of these demographics. There are definite exceptions.

5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I can tell, the highest-scoring '04 in the DA this very early season is Medgy Alexandre of Montreal Impact, with 4 goals for Impact U17. His DA page indicates he was born in the US. With Odunze's move to Leicester, and Adisa De Rosario no longer listed with TFC, it's just Alexandre and '02 Brandon Cambridge of Whitecaps U19 who are the US-born players at Canadian DA sides.

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Evan Rotundo (2004) scored the winning goal for the San Diego Surf in San Jose against the Earthquakes playing up a level with the U-19s today in a 2-1 victory.

Casey Walls (2003) scored the Earthquake’s goal.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That squares with the difference I've seen in the first wave of HG's for FCD and the current ones. No longer all Hispanic and much more athletic. Oh, and all play defense no matter what position. Do the LAFC players also do this as I've found this to be a big difference between LAG players and FCD players.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Week 5:

Italo Jenkins ('05) played up an age group for the Atlanta United U-17's. Jenkins played the first half. Jenkins is a good player, but he doesn't belong playing against players his own age. He's much bigger than them, and dominates physically because of it.

Angel Gael Medrano Mayorga ('06) played up an age group for the Philadelphia Union U-15's and scored. He has played 3 games at the U-15 level this season, and has two goals. He is listed with Mexican nationality. He might not be eligible for the USA. Aaron Heard ('06) also started. He has started all four games so far this season.

Jermaine Spivey ('06) came off the bench and played 26 minutes for the San Jose Earthquakes U-15's playing up an age group. He has scored 5 goals in 3 games in his own age group, so this was a promotion.

Adrian Giron ('06) played the second half for the Chicago Fire U-15's playing up an age group.

Nelson Pierre ('05) played the last 10 minutes of the game on Saturday for the Union U-17's playing up an age group and scored. He's played 3 games (1 start) for the U-17's this season, and has one goal. He has a pretty well-rounded game, but should be playing up an age group regularly because he's much bigger physically than players his own age.

Joseph Zalinsky ('03) started playing up an age group for the NYRB U-19's. Zalinsky has started four games for the U-19's this season. I tend not to regard much when NYRB moves players up because they move a lot of untalented players up, but I don't believe I've seen Zalinsky play, so I can't comment on if he's any good.

Kyle Linhares ('02) scored on Saturday and has 3 goals in 3 games to start the season for the PDA U-19's. Nestor Cabrera ('03) also started. This was his first game of the season for the U-19's playing up an age group.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1179184363474432000 is not a valid tweet id

1179523978865647618 is not a valid tweet id

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The Galaxy always have the best player. They have the best player in the '00, '01, '02 and now '03 years.

11. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Duh, "simply".......

To be fair, the fact that they can make that argument is insanely respectable.

As far as the actual tweeting of the claim, isn't this the exact same post -- just insert a different player's name here -- every year? So tired.

EDIT: The fact that he tagged both the Mexican and US national teams makes me wonder if this kid is being advised to work the Mex/US recruiting to the player's advantage. Based on previous sleazeball maneuvers, I wouldn't be surprised.

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Can they? I've never seen anyone here trumpet Perez as the top '03. Leyva, Pepi, Nyeman, etc.? Basically, the only people I've seen trumpet him as #1 is his agent.

If you're going to give them '00... that means you are putting Mendez ahead of Chris Richards, Tim Weah, Richie Ledezma, and Dest (who I suppose we shouldn't count). I'd take all three of those players over Mendez.

2001 probably has the best claim -- Araujo and Llanez. But 2002? Efra or KHF over, let's say, Reyna?I will take Reyna.

BK is obviously a very good coach, but yes, THE Southern California Pro Academy should have a Top 10 prospect every year as well.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Yeah, I don't personally buy it, but the fact that they can make the claim with any sort of argument to back it up is impressive. Agreed that '03 must be a huge stretch, but I haven't really seen the Perez kid play.

15. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    As far as ‘00s go I’ve always thought it was ridiculous to call Mendez the best when Josh Sargent is already a full national team player. He’s the easiest argument. For ‘01s I think Llanez might be the best in that year but no one is really on the pro seen besides Araujo and Ochoa. I wonder if Alvarez may be more hyped because we don’t have him. But Perez that one is such a huge stretch, why even say something so wild about a kid. Imagine having to try to live up to that. The ‘03s are really nothing to play with, they have some real studs. He can be good, he can have pro potential, he could even be a potential NT, we can’t tell this far out but he certainly has not shown to be the best 03.

16. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Because this kid, and the others mentioned are his clients, or will be his client.

I’m no fan of GK, but I find it odd he catches so much flak for this. The more hype he can create around his players, the bigger the potential pay day.

btlove repped this.
  17. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    It's the way that he goes about hyping his players (and promoting himself and other "positions" about the game)....

And, agent hype has very little affect on a player's worth -- he's free to represent them however they decide, but he might do him and his brother some favors to not be such an ass so much of the time.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Taylor Booth is 2001.

19. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like FCD and Solar already played again. Maybe some of you guys were able to attend?

Regardless, it looks like FCD exacted some revenge at their home complex. Here are the recaps from FCD's website (LINK):
    • U-19s: The U-19s won their match against Solar 3-2 with Tanner Tessmann beginning the scoring in the 4th minute, while Gibran Rayo, and Michael Sosa held the lead.
    • U-17s: The U-17s won their match 2-1 with Luis Medina starting the game with a goal in, and Collin Smith stealing the lead later in the second half.
    • U-15s: The U-15s had a dominant 7-0 win, with Nighte Pickering and Kevin Kelley both scoring braces, as well as Jordan Jones, Diego Hernandez, and Adrian Anguiano all finding the net.
    • U-14s: The U-14s won their match 3-2. Malachi Molina had the first goal, and scored a second one in the second half as well as Jared Salazar scoring at the beginning of the second half.
    • U-13s: The U-13s fell to Solar Soccer with a final score of 1-2. Jeyden Arboleda responded to Solar's first two goals in the second half but couldn't find a second goal to comeback.

20. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    The U17 game was a lot like the first time around with Solar dominating the ball and having the better of the game. FCD scored on a PK and a set piece and Solar missed two one v ones. Solar still the better team between these two but FCD got the win.

The U19 game was more in FCD camp but was close on the score sheet the entire way. FCD had Gibran Rayo, Benni Rezdick, Tanner Tessman and Nico Carrerra playing, so a number of kids that have or will be playing USL games. Gibran Rayo gave Solar the most trouble on the defensive end. Surprised he has not signed a USL deal yet.

Would put these two teams as pretty even.

Stupid_American repped this.
  21. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I get that these are his clients but at some level it will hurt his word and the players reputation. So far you can make a case for every player or client he argues for, but there is almost no case for Perez.

I’m aware.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Week 6:

Hat-trick for Robert Willcot ('05) with the LAFC U-15's against LAG. Steven Ramirez ('05) had a brace. Both players have 5 goals in 6 games to start the season. Diego Ceja ('05) is also tied with them at 5 goals for the team lead.

Javan Romero ('06) has played all season in the LAFC U-15's playing up an age group. He's played in 6 games (4 starts). He started this weekend against LAG. Adrian Wibowo ('06) has also played all season in the U-15's for LAFC playing up an age group. He's played in all six games (2 starts).

Dominic Dubon ('05) has 14 goals in 5 games for the Union U-15's. Promote. Marcelo Mazzola ('05) has 6 goals in 5 games for the U-15's. Aaron Heard ('06), Angel Gael Medrano Mayorga ('06) and Andrew Rick ('06) all started this week for the Union playing up an age group. Heard is a regular in the U-15 team, while Mayorga and Rick have rotated between the U-14's and U-15's.

Pavel Romero ('06) started for the Atlanta United U-15's this weekend. He's played 5 games (3 starts) for the U-15's playing up an age group. Juan Hermenegildo ('06) got his first minutes for the U-15's this season coming off the bench and playing 34 minutes. I've seen both players play before. I don't think either are big talents, and I think they have better 06's in their academy. Italo Jenkins ('05), Daniel Sebhatu ('05) Jonathan Villal ('05) and Ty Wilson ('05) are all averaging 1 goal per game or better for the U-15's. Jenkins, Villal and Wilson are all at 1 goal per game. Sebhatu is averaging slightly above 1 goal per game at 4 goals in 3 games.

It seems like Anthony Sorensen ('03) has joined Philadelphia Union. He's played 4 games this season for them at the U-17 level, including playing this weekend. He scored this weekend. Quinn Sullivan ('04) also scored for the U-17's this weekend.

Tyler Glassberg ('05) started playing up an age group for the NYCFC U-17's. He's played twice for the U-17's. He has played 5 games (4 starts) for the U-15's with 3 goals. Isaie Louis ('05) started on the opposite side of the field for the Revolution U-17's playing up an age group and he scored. He's played 3 games (1 start) for the U-17's, and has one goal. In the U-15's, he has 3 goals in 3 games (2 starts). Matiwos Rumley ('05) also played for the U-17's playing up an age group. He played 28 minutes. He's played 5 games for the U-17's this season (2 starts). New England's U-17's also had a game on Sunday. Louis played the second half, Rumley didn't played.

Joe Scally ('02) played 90 minutes and scored for the NYCFC U-19's. He's working his way back to full fitness. Justin Haak ('01) also played 90 minutes and scored.

23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I believe the Generation Adidas Cup qualification tournament will be taking place this weekend in Kansas. Those of you that live in that area should get a chance to see some of the very best U-17 players going at it for the chance to make the highest brackets and face the top international teams invited to participate.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    You are correct in that it does begin this weekend. It is actually happening in four different locations: Colorado, KC, Chester PA, and Toronto.
    Schedules can be found here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/generation-adidas-cup/2020/qualifying

jeff_adams and TimB4Last repped this.
  25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's mostly because he refuses to disclose his agent relationship and instead positions himself as an independent evaluator.

Also, because he's a dick that not only pumps up his own players but actively tries to tear down other kids who aren't his clients.