2018 World Cup - Omnibus

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sam Hamwich, Jun 2, 2018.

1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So PEDs or blood doping?
    I might just want a couple links from a reputable source.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Second most surprising final win after the Helmut Rahn West Germany win in 1954 over the Magic Magyars, who had already destroyed them 8-3 in the group stage.

It could be argued the 1950-1954 Magic Magyars started the modern football era, even more than the Dutch "Totaalvoetbal" of the 70s.

russ repped this.
  3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair shout,but Germany basically tanked that group game.

4. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    It was shocking at the time, as Holland was widely favored. Through the lens of hindsight, it probably wasn't as shocking - West Germany were the reigning European champions and the game was being played at home. Too much weight was placed on West Germany's loss to East Germany (a close 1-0). Up until that point, there had only been one WC winner who wasn't undefeated.- in 1954, also coincidentally West Germany.

That 1954 result is considered a much, much bigger upset than 1974. It's referred to in Germany as "the Miracle of Bern". The opponent, Hungary - nicknamed "the Golden Team", "the Mighty Magyars" - were enormous favorites to win the World Cup. They implemented new tactics that tremendously shook up the world game and laid out the blueprint for soccer strategy for the next twenty years, including an early version of Total Football. They were unbelievably dominant - in five years, they hadn't been defeated once. In fact, from 1950 to 1956, they had 42 wins, 7 draws, and 1 defeat.

That single defeat was to West Germany in the 1954 WC final. West Germany was playing in its first World Cup since the war. The team was composed of semi-pro players, and they had played only a few matches, with a very easy qualification group was against Norway and Saarland.

In the group stage of the WC, Hungary destroyed West Germany 8-3. Hungary went on to eliminate Brazil, the South American favorites, and Uruguay, the defending champions. At that point, Hungary achieved the highest ELO rating in international history, ever. And they were leading West Germany 2-0 in the final. But the West Germans came back to win it 3-2.

It was an enormous upset - hence "the Miracle of Bern" - and it's been credited with helping to uplift the West German people and even as a turning point in German history.

However, I think if Croatia wins, it may even be more shocking than the 1954 upset.

russ repped this.
  5. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hope is for a Croatian upset, they play together and show a real work ethic on both sides of the ball that I admire. I think they mentioned nearly 100 more minutes just over the last 3 games, its going to take a Herculean effort.

My prediction is France 2-1, my hope is Croatia can poach an early goal and withstand.

6. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Croatia might do this. They're looking good early.

7. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope the World Cup isn't won off a dive, but it would be fitting.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  8. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    OK, I'm firmly rooting for Croatia after that dive by Griezmann.

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    It would be such an easy thing to get rid of that I can only assume FIFA doesn’t want to rid the sport of this blatant diving BS.

jnielsen and largegarlic repped this.
  10. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    I would rather VAR be used to yellow card divers more than anything. Croatia has been dominating and greasy-man dives for a set piece goal. Either use VAR or don’t. This inbetween stuff can be used to sway the game more than just not having it

11. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This....
    Plays like that alone make VAR a necessity..

So far divers resulting in a goal =1
    Use of VAR =0

12. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I think there a lot of countries where diving is an accepted part of in-game strategy, and they don't see much wrong with it. I remember reading an interview with Suarez after the last WC (I think), and he basically said that he came up from nothing, owes everything he has to the game, and will do absolutely anything to gain an advantage on the field, including trying to con the ref. If enough countries have that general attitude, FIFA won't change anything.

13. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Man, the mental fortitude of this Croatia side...they just keep coming back.

Three and Three repped this.
  14. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats a harsh, but right call, because Croatia had a defender there and it would have been out.

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    It used to be that bad calls evened out over time. I’m not sure that’s the case with the way VAR is being used.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  16. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats actually an interesting point, where a small bad call that doesn't go to VAR goes to team 1, and then the VAR shows a team 2 call that is now reversed to team 1.

17. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Lol Suarez.. that is proof it needs to be addressed

18. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The old if you're not cheating you aren't trying adage. They all try, but the idea should be if they get caught its insta-card, no questions, both domestic and international.

Theres just too much on the line to be decided by a guy taking a dive. It's awful and should be took out of the game.

19. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez Croatia has dominated this game and are losing by 2. If they come back now, it would be a miracle.

20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to be the obnoxious ass who points out that we drew these guys in France right before the tournament.

21. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Griezmann is French for Neymar.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I like how Lloris blew that one and casually waved the "my bad" like it's a friendly.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    France basically cleared the competition of all the good teams before the final.

24. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels good to be World Cup Co Champions, and you guys thought this cycle was a disaster

[​IMG]

Mantis Toboggan M.D. repped this.
  25. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Kylian Mbappe and Julian Green both scored one goal in the USA-France game, that means they are equal quality players.

eric_appleby and Three and Three repped this.