2018 World Cup - Omnibus

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sam Hamwich, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    (Mods, please delete or move if this should go elsewhere)

Thought I would create a catch all world cup thread for play by play, analysis, general commentary, and fan pictures.

Hoping for:
    France v. Argentina final with England making it to the semis.
    Germany goes out in the quarters to Spain.
    Dark horse: Senegal.
    Coaching favorite: Peru.

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Kane and Vardy for england could be very lethal. Kane plays like Torres in his prime and Vardy is a stone cold scorer. I have them going out in the semis.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Germany loses yesterday to austria. I don't read much into it other than if they really feel like it, Germany can lose.

Brazil cruise against croatia take it 2-0. Brazil's WC fate is in the hands of their center back and right back.

Peru playing now. My favorite backwater team because their coach is a nutter and is capable of fielding a 2-2-6 formation.

4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Damn, with Italy out of the tourney, Spain has decided to be a dirty team. Plenty of iffy, coach mandated tackles against the swiss.

Peru demolish the saudies. Tough to gain anything from that.

Costa rica might be hitting their stride. This team might once again surprise the world and still get no respect.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Sane dropped from German squad. He would be a lock starter on every other squad. Rabiot the same for France.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should we not rename this an OTT (other teams thread)? I can't find the one we were using for the qualifiers as it's buried too deep in the forum, but I think it would be pretty cool to have one anyway.

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Sure. I didn't remember the nomenclature. Call it OPP other people's playa's.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Gotoku Sakai is the only person born in the United States (New York City) to earn a ticket to play in the 2018 World Cup.

ttrevett and Sam Hamwich repped this.
  9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    After multiple visits to his house from Rongen I'm surprised he didn't make the switch to the US team.

10. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 USOutlaw16, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    [​IMG]

CONCACAF is old and experienced. It also means that this will be the last time (or in Panama's case, perhaps the only time) they can make a real big showing before they have to retool everything. Now, one could say Mexico's age is boosted due to Marquez, but even if we took Marquez out, they would still be the 5th oldest squad in Russia instead of the 2nd oldest. If we put Gutierrez in Marquez's place, Mexico would go down to being tied for the 7th oldest squad alongside Brazil and Japan

It's also scary that Germany is tied for the 5th youngest squad among all teams

11. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 SetPeace, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Has anyone looked at the schedule of broadcast games on www.foxsports.com?

Seems like most of the games are going to be shown on a same-day but delayed basis. Given there's a time difference of 6 or 7 hours between Russia and the Eastern Time Zone, this looks odd. Many games are being shown at 6 p.m. ET, which would be midnight or 1 a.m. in Russia! This can't possibly be right, is it?

If so, that would be most disappointing. One of the fun aspects of watching the World Cup at home is the opportunity to interact with fans all over the world as the games are being played in progress, not several hours after the fact.

12. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't you know it....15 minutes AFTER I posted about Foxsports' World Cup coverage, I get a new TV Guide in the mail, and it's got the entire broadcast schedule listed! Whew....games will be broadcast in real time! Can't believe the website for Foxsports is posting that stuff with the erroneous start times.

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    in 2006, I broke down the optimum age of winning world cup teams. You'd be surprised at the results, I think. The really well run federations make very important decisions early in qualifications: are we going to rebuild and grow a younger group in hopes of winning in 8 years, or are we good enough to make a run now?

By getting this decision wrong in one cycle you can ruin two more. Italy are likely feeling those effects now. Same with the Dutch. And same with the US.

jnielsen and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The fact that Australia, that looked like a bust in AFC and could only beat Thailand by a goal at home, tied them away, looked head and shoulders above Honduras even in SPS, tells me CONCACAF is entering a period of serious decline.

By 2022 we may be the weakest confederation after Oceania. Sending old squads this time around is just further evidence.

Of course, it's good news for us, if 30% of our youngsters pan out. Which, TBH, I doubt.

15. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link to that? I'm also curious as to see how well federations retooled in between World Cups once age set in.

I say this, as the vast majority of Mexico's core will be on the wrong side of 30 in 2022. The real question is, can they build enough of a squad around Lozano and Salcedo once the time comes? The youngest GK they're taking to Russia is Ochoa, and he's already 32.

An aging core despite a rising young star, a manager that likes to experiment way too much.....where have we heard this before?

16. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This upcoming cycle will likely have that "generational gap" syndrome that I've noticed plaguing national teams like the US and the Dutch. Sure, Mexico may have some younger talent, but it does look like the US and even Canada have teenagers worth watching. Problem is, they're exactly that. Teenagers. They probably won't reach their prime until 2026, and that's even if they pan out.

17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I think the average age of players fielded for world cup champions was hovering between 27 and 28. It is such a tricky question. Bruce Arena said that his team in 2004 and 2005 was the best he ever coached. But that 6 months to 2006 was enough to change everything.

18. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this thread.

Want to see win- Germany (my heritage)
    Want to see lose - Portugal, Spain, Russia, Serbia
    Other teams I like- England, Australia
    Other teams I don't hate - Belgium, Switzerland, Japan, Senegal, Sweden
    Would be really neat to see make some noise- Iceland

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    After watching Panama play the Norway friendly, I'm afraid they're going to get wrecked by the high-stamina Euro teams, England and Belgium.

By the 60' mark they looked tired as heck.

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Los Ticos play today against England. A full tilt friendly as the teams finalize their gear up.

21. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    England have two types of squads to pull from. If they can just gain some confidence they are as good as anyone.

Los Ticos - are they too old? That's pretty much the only question.

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Ticos start in 3-4-3. does not look bad. I'm guessing 3-4-3 is the surprise fancy lineup for the Cup.

23. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    this 'shadow' england line up is far more fluid in defense and attack than the other team. Interesting to see if they can convert their chances and keep a clean sheet.

24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Seriously, jose, what are you doing at ManU? Rashford starts the match beating players and now scores a stunning shot and goal from 25m.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Costa Rica down 1-0 at the half in Leeds. They still look a capable team, but this is the best England since the times of Bobby Robson & Gary Lineker, so losing to them in their house is expected for any team not named Brazil, Germany or Spain.