Review: 2018 WC Qualifying - Towards winning our first WC title: А дело бывало -- и коза волка съедала.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jul 23, 2015.

?

Netherlands will end up as nr. 1 in the group.

1. No-brainer. Of course we will.

23.1%
  2. If we start like the Euro 2016 qualification, no way. We will go to Russia though.

42.3%
  3. Not even going to qualify. We do a 2002.

34.6%
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So how much do you guys drink over there in Comox BC??

Sounds like a fun place!!! You guys do lots of logging and stuff????

2. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ;)
    Actually yes, haha lots of logging.. not a logger but I do go to loggers' slash piles to scavenge discarded wood to burn next winter. :thumbsup:
    So suppose I am more of a smoker than a drinker - but I would REALLY be drinking tho if these damned pigs flew in 2018 !!

but who knows, if recent years' pattern of swinging back and forth from great to disappointing results is any hint then maybe we will be surprised again. Hahaha
    WC 2010 runners up (surprisingly great)
    Ec 2012 3 losses and out (brutal)
    WC 2014 3rd (surprisingly good)
    Ec 2016 nope (total disappointment)
    WC 2018 (must be total greatness?)

Obvious I've been into the smoking now? :alien:

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You, sir, are a pessimist of the top rank!!!:D

4. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I personnally don't really like surprises. Like in 2008 and 2014 when the team was expected to fail quickly but had a good tournament. I just can't feel the vibe cause I know it's gonna end sooner or later (Denmark 92 and Greece 04 being the exceptions...), in 2008 I was quite young so I believed in it but in 2014 I didn't believe a single second, even after the 5-1 against Spain.

2010 was just great for me because everything was just logical. Van Marwijk was acting rationnal, using the same line ups...Sneijder won the CL, Robben had his first tremendous and complete season, the team hadn't lost a single game for two years...The three biggest teams before WC 2010 were Spain, Holland and Germany, and this was the final ranking.

Of course we can discuss the poor content of the dutch games (especially the first round), but at the end of the day the team was solid. The only moment I doubted about Holland losing was when Robinho scored. Otherwise even against Uruguay it was tight but someone could feel Holland would win

It would take at least 4 or 6 years to build another solid team in my opinion.

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm trying to use reverse psychology. Lets see if it works :D

6. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Marvin Zeegelaar had a great game as Sporting beat Porto 3-1 at the Dragão

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  7. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    ()

Does the above count?

DRB300 and Sybe Pals repped this.
  8. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    I don't see how France doesn't win the group(I guess we can hope Domenech takes over again) The true battle is for second.

Does anyone know is Ibra will be retiring after Euro? I know he's done with Ligue 1 and probably moving to the retirement league. I'm guessing at 35 when qualifying begins that this summer will be his last hurrah.

9. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I guess he will retire after another swedish flop he won't be able to save this summer.

Sweden is weak and will be even weaker without him. fact. They're not weaker than the Czech that beat Holland though.

Bulgaria is in the group and had some good results recently, weak team on the paper but can give Holland a hard time like Iceland did.

Holland is still favorite to get the 2nd place, but what after ? Knock out games with potential opponents like Croatia, Turkey or even Portugal sometimes...Would this dutch beat them ? No.

10. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Bulgaria isn't a team to fear. They would have lost 10-1 to Portugal had their keeper not had the game of his life. Portugal will win their group with ease. The second place teams will consist of the teams like the Czech's, Swiss, Bosnian's, Danes, Poles, etc. All teams the Dutch can beat if they're on their game. The only nightmare result would be to draw Spain/Italy. Or if a team like Belgium fell on their faces.

11. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    It's a seeded draw ... just need to keep a healthy ranking.

12. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    #112 Laurent75, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    If Holland had to play against Denmark or Poland now without Robben and Sneijder, I wouldn't put my money on the dutchs.

I like to think in terms of difference making players and players able to score important goals. Who are the difference making dutch players now upfront ? Depay ? Really struggling and hasn't score a single important goal this year. Promes and Janssen ? Need to see them in a better league before to say.

Poland got Lewandowski, Denmark got Eriksen as real threats.

In the previous generation Robben was a top difference maker and Sneijder/Kuyt could score important goals at any moment even when they were having a bad game. Especially Sneijder.

At this moment the dutch team is very very vulnerable, maybe there will be some improvements in one year but now I would say all those teams are superior on the paper and would be favourites if they had to play against Holland without Robben tomorrow :

Germany, France, Belgium, Spain, England, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Croatia.

Then those teams would be 50/50 or even slightly favourites for some against Holland :

Bosnia, Wales, Switzerland, Poland, Austria, Denmark, Serbia

Serbia played like shit like qualifiers but they have a serious good squad and can put a better eleven than Holland on the paper.

And notice I didn't even count Iceland and Czech Republic that I consider to have been very opportunistic last qualifiers, I only put teams with good/decent squads.

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What about Ukraine?

14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Every team is a danger with the current coach in command. With a better coach we are the Netherlands and the others are not. Iceland is not impressive, but they are a unit. If you go through a phase where you lack quality, you need a coach that can make a real unit of your team. That plays the lines short of each other. You play that Netherlands vs Colombia in that friendly. Look back that game. One of the best we played in recent years. Such perfect fine tuning of lines.

Our organisation is a joke. I still have nightmares of the Czech game away with the corners and that deficiency never went away. Now, the biggest coward we ever produced, Advocaat has joined the staff.

15. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    This is true for average teams but not for Holland. Holland is a big power and should have big players.

The same argument was used by brazilians fans in 2010, they thought the biggest problem was Dunga and not the fact their team had lost half quality of the previous generations. 2014 they changed their coach and had another humiliation.

Dutch national team and dutch clubs results are linked and will be linked from now, considering Robben, Sneijder, RVP are leaving...

If eredivisie clubs can't beat Molde and Rapid Wien, why would the dutch NT beat Norway and Austria ? Knowing that the dutch selection got like 12 eredivisie players in average every time. The others playing with sub top clubs abroad...

A better coach can improve but not change the quality of a group. Also know that average europeans teams like Austria and Norway never had a big quality, so they've learned how to play with their strenghts and limits. For years. Decades. It would take a long time to Holland to learn how to play effectively with an average team

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  16. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Should? You have to look at reality, not should. Playing compact does not even have to mean defensive, rather compact. That is also why I referenced the Colombia game. Look it back. It was not defensive, but very compact where ever the team decided to group. Even with 10 men we attacked more. However always optimal organisation. The organisation of the Dutch NT has been bad since Hiddink took over and we have conceded so many goals all the way with Blind.

Nobody is denying lack of player quality. Hell, my sentence even contains that realization, but when you don't have it, then you need unit football. Organisation must be tip top. Dunga was actually organisational much better than Scolari.

PSV did not do bad. Boer is bad in Europe. Always crashed out against weak teams in EL as well.

We did at the WC.

With better coaching, we would have made the Euro. That is the point. There is an academy problem and a management problem. Having long term problems, does not exempt us from getting most out of the sh*t situation we are in. We still need to be able to draw at home vs at France. Grind it out.

The most pathetic thing was that it became 2-2 and then France pushing 1 time on the gas after snoozing off for 40 minutes and cutting right through defense to make it 2-3. That is just unacceptable, as much as player quality might be a problem. So organisation and better coaching must come back, especially in these times.

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not so sure. van Marwijk got to the finals of a WC with a less than outstanding group of players. van Persie was just coming back from the bad ankle injury suffered in the friendly against Italy. Robben had some knocks from the club season. Snjeider was the only fully fit of the three main stars and he had a good WC. Steklenburg over performed in goal and the use of a double pivot defensive midfield was what really made the difference.

van Gaal's effort was even more amazing in that he didn't have as experienced a group of defenders and the team pretty much went as far as Robben could carry it.

Nobody predicted the meltdown that would take place when Hiddink took over.

18. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Friendly game, there are about 10 in a year so of course you'll be able to have some good ones.

Not only De Boer. Jol, Van Basten and Ten Cate also crashed out against weak teams because of the lack of quality. And the best Ajax players since 2010 are foreigners. With its dutch players the results would be even worse.
    PSV is not really better, had a nice run this year (with a lot of luck), but previous years ? Were crashing out against Chernomorets Odessa and Ludogorets...

Robben, Robben, Robben...

19. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    #119 Laurent75, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Van Marwijk had a great group. Robben had knocks but he came back and had probably his six best months ever, leading Bayern to the CL finale almost alone with spectacular goals everytime. Van Marwijk took the generation 80/85 when it was at its peak. Showed a lot of promises during EC 2008, all he had to do was finding the right system and keeping it. Which he did. And the team didn't lose any game from september 2008 to june 2010, lost against Spain in the last minutes...Then didn't lose again until october 2011. Pity things went wrong in EC 2012 cause his results were just great.

Van Gaal used a new defence and Holland doesn't have a bad defence now. Already better than the previous generations . Many options and guys that can play football and give a good pass like De Vrij, Van Dijk...The problem is clearly upfront and Van Gaal couldn't find any solution neither. He kept relying on Robben, Sneijder, RVP, Van der Vaart...
    The only player he really gave chances to during the WC14 qualifiers was Lens. That's all.

Remember he didn't even really use Depay or Wijnaldum until the world cup started.

Would he beat Romania and Hungary 4-1 with Promes/Luuk/Depay upfront ? I really doubt.

Van Gaal lost to Belgium and France in friendlies and those were obvious losses. Van Marwijk could keep it clean until that game against Germany in november 2011 (0-3). Three years of very positive results that kept Holland in the top 3 of the FIFA ranking.

nurvin repped this.
  20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is spot on!!

We are in between generations right now. Things will come good, but it will take 5 to 10 years

21. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good things will only happen if action is taken to improve development. You can't just sit back and wait for things to improve because they always have before. Improvement requires correct action, not complacency

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^ ban all video games and get kids out playing football!!!

TFC Ajax repped this.
  23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That was not the point. The point is the gap in organisation between van Gaal era and what came after. It's huge and it already showed with the corners in the Check away games. Look it back and laugh or cry, whatever. It was pathetic.

PSV can do more with money. That is also why I was happy them winning the Eredivisie. Anyway, I can see your point being true up to a point. There is connection between Dutch clubs results, but it is not a 1:1 relation. For example Janssen came from AZ and did well against England, but AZ was dead last in their UEFA group. A Dutch player can still do fine in the NT and beat a team like England at Wembley with a bad coach.

Even with Robben, we had no business becoming third. Winning 5-1 to Spain or even beating Chili, who won the Copa the next year. The opening goal was also not from Robben in that game, but Fer from set piece. Portugal had Ronaldo, so by that logic they should have done even better.

To make sure there is no miscommunication. There is no denying that Dutch clubs must do better in Europe. There is no denying that the academies must produce better players. Both factors still do not excuse us from not being at the Euro. We are responsible for not getting into the Euro and coaching is a big part of that.

24. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you have the last game of the U17 team at the Euro against Sweden in the quarter final, look at the moment around 60 minutes and 20 seconds. That moment sums up why we are where we are.

thatkid repped this.
  25. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Exactly! That is exactly what is wrong with Dutch football.