Review: 2018 WC Qualifying - Towards winning our first WC title: А дело бывало -- и коза волка съедала.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jul 23, 2015.

?

Netherlands will end up as nr. 1 in the group.

1. No-brainer. Of course we will.

23.1%
  2. If we start like the Euro 2016 qualification, no way. We will go to Russia though.

42.3%
  3. Not even going to qualify. We do a 2002.

34.6%
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dutchies have a monster of a qualifying run just like in some past years. They end up going 8-1-1 and win the group edging France who probably under perform as usual and drop some points on the road against Sweden and Bulgaria in addition to losing in Amsterdam.

2. KGOranje

KGOranje Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agree with all exepct France at home
    Fully agree with your predictions execpt France at home. I believe we'll draw this match, end up with 23 points in total.

3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yup very true. I haven't actually been following the U-20 WC but I suppose if they won it they have young talent.

4. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Way too early to really make predictions. Also keep in mind players do get injured and do get suspended. That could change the whole game. If Robben is injured for some important games, that could be a huge problem. If say Valbuena and Pogba were injured for France it could also change the result as well.

5. KGOranje

KGOranje Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I doubt Robben (and Sneijder) will remain in the team after the Euros.

6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sneijder won't but Robben might though. Pirlo is still in the Italy NT at 36 years old. He moved to NYC but still plans on going to Euro 2016.

7. KGOranje

KGOranje Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Italian players are geneticly close to being immortal.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Pirlo doesn't rely on speed, Robben does. I don't think Robben will be in the WC squad.

9. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Sneijder is more likely to be in the NT beyond the EC than Robben. That said, lets see if and how Robben transforms his game when/if he loses his speed. I mean he's not just a kick and chase fast winger. His ability to make the ball stick to his foot is among the best in the world too

10. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Robben I am 100% sure may even play beyond WC 2018. He can be this generation's Totti. Firstly he has always adapted his game. Started as Conventional LW to Inverted RW to 2nd ST for Bayern in 13-14 season(for some time) and for a while for Dutch NT and he has excelled in both positions. His game has also grown. He actually heads the ball pretty decent for Bayern nowadays and has learned to use his wooden left leg(though not great) at the age of 30. That takes tremendous self-belief, confidence but most of all, a whole lot of hunger and the willingness to learn. Robben is mentally one of the toughest players. He comes back quicker than anticipated from an injury and goes back to MOM performances from the 1st game itself time and again. And he is a big game player and can tide over disappointments, he has been the best player of his team in Eredivisie, EPL, La Liga or Bundesliga. He was speaking very fluent German, Spanish or English within 1 year of his stay. These are all tremendous qualities and shows how incredibly adaptable he truly is.

Apart from the historical and mental perspective, look at this game. Honestly he is an amazing passer today. His vision has grown by leaps and bounds, he is less trigger happy(though still selfish enough to make the difference and win games). Remember that 6-1 odd game against Kazakhastan or something like that? I remember him taking on 3 players, beating them & passing the ball to a crowded RVP, making a run and getting the ball. Time and again he was making 15-20 yard passes from the byline surrounded by 2-3 players at a fast speed.

He is still very quick at 31 and will likely remain quick enough for 2-3 more years. If he does loose speed he can easily transition into a 9 or 10. I have been saying for years that Robben has evolved from the wing position. He now also enjoys playing centrally, it allows him a 360 degree of rotation, he is 1 footed and being in the centre allows him more space, more link-ups, through balls, runs, distance shots. You need your best players involved, not double marked in the byline. He can our Totti, play the 9. I would love to see Robben play ST with his dribbling skills, pace and finishing ability. Robben also has good finishing ability and fantastic distance shots allowing him to play ST. Also under Jupp, he was defending like an insane person. So if he plays the 10, if required he can drop back, defend and build up after 2-3 years.

It will be a matter of shame if the coach can't utilize him as 9/9.5(2nd ST)/10, in all these roles he can be devastating even if he miraculously loses his speed

11. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    The football is evolving. Holland has been doing great lately because it was their best generation, and because some groups were pretty easy to be honest. France sucked because the generation sucked, it's very concrete, France didn't have any Robben, Sneijder or even RVP in its 80-85 generation.

Go back in the time, Holland was awful during the qualifying 2002 and France was top in 2004 :

France 5-0 Slovenia
    France 3-0 Israel
    France 5-0 Cyprus
    France 6-0 Malta
    Slovenia 0-2 France
    Israel 1-2 France
    Cyprus 1-2 France
    Malta 0-4 France

Quite similar to Holland in 2010.

I really really doubt that Holland would finish above France in a group with 10 games. The french team doesn't miss anything now to be honest, you have big players on every line

12. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Robben has every intention to play the WC. And as long as he doesn't suffer a career ending injury, and provided we qualify for the tournament, I'm sure he will.

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    6 september 2016: Zweden – Nederland
    7 oktober 2016: Nederland – Wit-Rusland
    10 oktober 2016: Nederland – Frankrijk
    13 november 2016: Luxemburg – Nederland
    25 maart 2017: Bulgarije – Nederland
    9 juni 2017: Nederland – Luxemburg
    31 augustus 2017: Frankrijk – Nederland
    3 september 2017: Nederland – Bulgarije
    7 oktober 2017: Wit-Rusland – Nederland
    10 oktober 2017: Nederland – Zweden

14. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    By the world cup I think that France might have the most complete team in the world. The only question will be at RB really. Otherwise world class, or close to it, players at every position. Better than the current German team IMO.

I think we will come 2nd in this group. Our team can give France a good fight though if our younger players step up and grow into their talent (guys like Veltman, Willems, Ziyech, Memphis specifically...I'm not worried about Klaassen). Also our injury prone players need to get healthy and stay healthy...guys like Strootman, Marco van Ginkel, Clasie and Robben.

Ultimately I think I'd like to see this come 2018 for the WC:

Cillessen
    Janmaat - Veltman - De Vrij - Willems
    van Ginkel - Klaassen - Strootman
    Ziyech
    Robben - Memphis
    Guys like Tete, Riedewald, van Dijk, Clasie, Wijnaldum, Propper, Promes, De Jong and co. on the bench or available. Maybe a surprise player like Ayoub, Bergwijn, Ould-Chikh or Nouri can step up by then also. My bet would be on Bergwijn who already looks good in the first team at 17.

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have a question for you all, which team do you think would win Team A or Team B?

Team A:
    ---------------------Huntelaar---------------------------
    ---------Robben-----Sneijder------Depay---------------
    ------------De Jong--------------Wijnaldum------------
    ---Blind--------De Vrij---------Vlaar--------Janmaat---
    -------------------------Cillessen--------------------------

Team B:
    --------Griezmann----Benzema----Valbuena-----------
    ---------Matuidi--------Cabaye-------Pogba------------
    ---Evra--------Mathieu---------Varane-----Debuchy---
    ---------------------------Lloris---------------------------

16. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Team B should win but neither are optimal line-ups.

17. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd go with -

Lacazette Benzema
    Griezmann
    Pogba Cabaye Schneiderlin
    Digne Koscielny Varane Debuchy
    Lloris

Subs - Mandanda, Sagna, Sakho, Matuidi, Sissoko, Valbuena, Giroud

This is a very strong team

18. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    For me the two optimal teams would be these:

Cillessen
    Janmaat - Veltman - De Vrij - Willems
    van Ginkel - Klaassen - Strootman
    Sneijder
    Robben - Memphis

vs.

Lloris
    Jallet - Varane - Sakho - Digne
    Cabaye
    Pogba - Matuidi
    Benzema
    Lacazette - Griezmann​

19. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good stuff. Who do people pick:

van Beek or Veltman?

Is van Beek and de Vrij our future CB partnership?

20. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No Valbuena has skill and is very talented, and is probably France's best player, they want him at the start.

21. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    There is no place anymore for Cabaye, was mediocre with PSG and France lately, his poor english transfer proves his end. Matuidi is a way better. France had many good players playing in sub english teams (N'Zogbia comes to my mind) but they don't call them unlike Holland.

Digne is no PSG and NT material neither. Kurzawa is better.

Fekir is a serious contender to Lacazette in attack now, and Martial can explode next year. For the midfield Kondogbia is in a really good form, Imbula signed to Porto for 20mo, Veretout from Nantes is expected to join Tottenham for 15mo, can be a NT material.

22. Sam_TO

Sam_TO Member

May 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I like this lineup on paper as it relieves Sneijder of any defensive duties, and allows him to play in a more free role, but I think Blind is too conservative to ever try this. He'll probably stick with a traditional 4-3-3.

23. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    No love for the likes of Amavi, Laporte, Zouma, Umtiti, Corchia, Tolisso, Rabiot, Ntep, ...?

24. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I second this. I'd love to see a 4-3-1-2 with Sneijder in no. 10 and given the chance to release not only one, but two, pacey finishers in Robben and Memphis. But yeah, the likelihood is that Danny Blind will stick with the traditional 4-3-3, not wanting to cause any kind of controversies.

On the defensive duo, how much confidence do people have on Kongolo? He was under-performing last year (given the high expectation after making the WC squad). I hope he's storming back this season. This kid got so much talent. Being a lefty, I like him in the LCB, with De Vrij or Van Beek on the right hand side.

25. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    They are all potential backs-up but I don't see any of them in the starting XI