Review: 2018 WC Qualifying - Towards winning our first WC title: А дело бывало -- и коза волка съедала.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jul 23, 2015.

?

Netherlands will end up as nr. 1 in the group.

1. No-brainer. Of course we will.

23.1%
  2. If we start like the Euro 2016 qualification, no way. We will go to Russia though.

42.3%
  3. Not even going to qualify. We do a 2002.

34.6%
  1. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Depay to the rescue! Now don't make stupid mistake on our end anymore unless we can increase our lead....

2. TulliettoAffernik

TulliettoAffernik New Member

Red Bull Salzburg
    Belgium
    Nov 13, 2016
    Putzu Idu, OR (Sardinia) Italy
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I really hope Robben got (slightly) injured, because Berghuis in/Robben out cannot be heard. You can't simply substitute Robben. Otherwise Blind (Danny) should go to the hospital to seek care.

3. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    After Narsingh saving us against Latvia, we have Depay saving us against Luxembourg

These are the players we need for the future :)

4. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Still a lot of room to improve but I'm happy with the 3 points. The team is still a work in progress. Hope that Robben's injury not serious.

5. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Koeman criticised the current selection policy of Danny Blind and wonders why Erik Pieters has been overlooked.

Koeman said, “Of course, Blind’s choices become more limited, but I think there is also some good players that are not called, but who do belong there.”

After naming Pieters, he added, “Playing every week for two or three years at Stoke City and he is doing just fine. What is the reason for not selecting that boy?

Source - Footballoranje

Maybe it is time to give Pieters a shot too! Brenet is 22 & can't defend - Clearly it is time to build the slot around Karsdorp & Tete.

The winger situation should be okay with Robben, Promes, Depay & Narsingh (Depay needs to leave MU soon). If Bergwijn is good he will take a slot.

The midfield is incredibly worrying & needs to be rebuild with players like Van de Beek & Nouri (Let's hope they get a break) - That is the worrying bit. Maybe Janssen can solve the ST issue!

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bulgaria defeated Belarus today. We are even with Sweden on points but ahead because of GD. Given the NT will win out the rest of the way, a 2-0 win over France at the Stade de France should be enough for the automatic qualifying berth. Of course a lot could go wrong but I'm pretty darn optimistic as we a lot of months for everyone to get healthy and back in form!!

Maybe Mr. S's dream of van de Beek and Nouri being brought into the NT will happen (I think it is wishful thinking as neither one even is close to starting for Ajax).

Sybe Pals repped this.
  7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Koeman is interested in bringing Depay to Everton. Would be a good way to get his career back on track!!

8. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Um, Blind has selected Pieters before.. maybe Koeman needs to do a quick google check first haha
    Not that I rule Pieters out - but he also had a very poor start to this season, so not surprised to see him not called back over, say, Kongolo or Blind who were in good form.
    Last spring, Willems had come back into fitness (since has had chances and fallen out of favour), and van Aanholt was doing well. Weird thing to speak out on, the situation seems normal, no?
    (disappointing, haha, but normal)

I do agree that our midfield is our biggest problem!

Anyway, Blind says: Robben had physical complaints. Sneijder changed because we wanted to keep wider field.

9. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    IMG_1751.JPG

No passing happening in the midfield, all kept very perimeter.
    So then only Blind able to find Dost..
    Worrying against a side we "should" beat with more ease.

Equal to, or more worrying, than the fact that we have only 1 clean sheet under Blind in 16 matches now?

10. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Pieters sucks, he is almost like a LB version of Veltman.

I'll always prefer a full back that isn't a good defender but can provide upfront rather than a full back that makes mistakes behind and cannot provide upfront...

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you have watched any Ajax matches this season you will know that Klaassen never gets any passes as his touch is quite poor. He also doesn't create space well at all.

12. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have, and I do. Strange way to put that, since I believe we have even discussed this together, but I agree. And from an Oranje perspective, this was only the second time in eight matches that we won a match with Klaassen in Blinds' starting lineup, the other one being versus Belarus in Oct..

Some other fun facts, courtesy of @OptaJohan:

12 - The Netherlands have failed to keep a clean sheet in 12 of their 14 competitive games since the 2014 World Cup. Leaks.

1 - @jeffreybruma is the first Netherlands player to play every single minute in a calendar year since Joris Mathijsen in 2009. Regular.

3 - Most chances created per 90 mins so far these Euro WC Qualifiers:
    Miralem Pjanic - 6.9
    Quincy Promes - 5.4
    Ilkay Gündogan - 4.8
    Trio.

5 - Arjen Robben has now scored five goals in his last four games for the Netherlands. Essential.

3 - Only Vincent Janssen (5) has been involved in more goals for the Netherlands in 2016 than Memphis Depay (3 - 1 goal, 2 assists). Ace.

1 - Bas Dost has fired in just one shot on target in 252 minutes of play for the Netherlands in 2016 (0 tonight). Ghost.

And I like this one from Michiel Jongsma:
    Some teams are better than the sum of their parts, this Dutch team together is currently about a quarter of their parts.

curbo repped this.
  13. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And also from @11tegen11:

What do you do when you've *finally* managed to get the ball into Zone 14?
    Here's Holland's answer, get it to the flank & go for a cross!
    IMG_1752.JPG

14. It is completely the opposite of the Feyenoord play. Almost all our goals were made from inside the box.

15. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A very mediocre win, but I think no one really expected a better performance.
    We are lucky to have 2 more easy games in a row. This should Improve our goal difference before facing France again. A tie between France and Sweden in the away game will be perfect for us.

16. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Ha ha, I used to be optimistic like that. Good for you! Now I am just more realistic. We are lucky if we can get second and get in through playoff. We can also miss out this WC as well, and then maybe a revolution will happen at KNVB.

wilson00 repped this.
  17. Neeskens78

Neeskens78 New Member

Oct 4, 2016
    :rolleyes:

wilson00 repped this.