Review: 2018 WC Qualifying - Towards winning our first WC title: А дело бывало -- и коза волка съедала.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jul 23, 2015.

?

Netherlands will end up as nr. 1 in the group.

1. No-brainer. Of course we will.

23.1%
  2. If we start like the Euro 2016 qualification, no way. We will go to Russia though.

42.3%
  3. Not even going to qualify. We do a 2002.

34.6%
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't know; he only is listed as playing in one match out of three as a sub this season.

2. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I thought Strootman played a bit too conservatively... choosing to pass within a 5-10 feet radius. His passing range and ability are better than that. He should go more often for a long through-ball (like the one when he released Dost in that one glorious chance). That said, this could only make sense if one of Wijnaldum or Klaassen position himself higher up, acting almost like a secondary striker. Or Promes drifts more intentionally to the center.

3. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^I can see that point, and while agree on Strootman being a bit conservative I thought it was more out of lack of other options in his lanes as he was ready to pass.
    Though he did play Klaassen in for that early first chance that was saved, maybe this conversation doesnt happen if that goes in because then Sweden have to play too!

Clasie is fit but Romeu has been preferred, with David or Ward-Prowse/Hojbjerg ahead of him.. Clasie's only minutes being away at Man Utd when Romeu went off hurt after 12 mins, but then Hojbjerg sat a little deeper with Clasie sort of RCM, a 0-2 loss and iirc he made the foul for Man Utd's second goal.
    His ability to pass through tighter spaces could have been useful v Sweden.. Too bad for him that his only chances under Blind have been v Wales and then France, both with 532 - which I dont think suits him as well since he likes to hang deep even sometimes between the CBs, not unlike Strootman did a little v Sweden.
    But, he really needs to be playing and stop getting hurt if he wants to be picked.

4. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    For the next 2 matches vs Belarus and France, I'd like to see us playing 1-3-2-3-2
    Zoet
    De Vrij Van Dijk Bouma
    Janmaat Blind
    Klaassen/Wijnaldum Strootman Sneijder
    Promes Janssen

For Belarus, we play 3-5-2 where Janmaat and Blind move up and Klaassen starts. For France, we play 5-3-2 where Janmaat and Blind stay back a bit and Wijnaldum starts. If Vlaar is healthy and fit, he would replace Van Dijk in the midlle and Van Dijk replaces Bouma.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought Wilfred Bouma retired a couple of years ago following his stint at PSV.

Sybe Pals and Rinus127 repped this.
  6. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Bruma, not Bouma, my bad :(

Zoet
    De Vrij Van Dijk Bruma
    Janmaat Blind
    Klaassen/Wijnaldum Strootman Sneijder
    Promes Janssen

7. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    For me I think, if players are healthy, I'd like to see this:

Zoet
    Janmaat - van Dijk - de Vrij - Willems
    Blind
    Strootman - Wijnaldum
    Sneijder
    Promes - Janssen​

To me it makes the most of our lack of creativity currently in midfield and also the general weakness of our current wide players without Robben. In attack Blind can drop back easily to facilitate the attacking play of Janmaat and Willems (while also providing some nice long passes himself) creating a 3-5-2 while Strootman and Wijnaldum can compress or come back to provide some cover as well. Promes works better centrally as a 9 1/2 rather than a pure wide player, and Sneijder will work best given creative freedom in the hole.

8. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'd go with this line-up:

Steklenburg
    Brenet __ Dijk _______ Blind______ Kongolo
    ______ Strootman ___ Bazoer ______
    Ramselaar ___________ Sneijder
    ____ Robben ____ Janssen __

9. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Read that Blind named 29 man provisional squad for upcoming Qualifiers against Belarus and France and no Janmaat.
    Shocking to me as he played well in the attacks down the right.
    De Vrij back though. Start him and drop Bruma.
    Perhaps 3-5-2?

10. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    image.jpeg

No Robben yet, probably wise, even though we are short wingers yet (hint hint Wes)

Janmaat injured, so Veltman stays?
    Kongolo and Karsdorp rightly called up, de Vrij as well.

No Bazoer, Anita and Clasie re-enter the mix.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I saw that Janmaat was subbed off because of an injury right after halftime against ManU but haven't seen anything else about the extent of it.

12. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Apparently Janmaat is out 2/3 weeks with a shoulder problem.
    Also noticed that no EPL defenders have as many assists as him over the last 3 seasons...

13. Rinus127

Rinus127 Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #563 Rinus127, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Anita . Really ? So following that logic, Blind could call Chery . It is shameful , frankly .
    I think Karsdorp deserves a chance. He is very good , he has the same style as Kimmich , the Bayern player .

Karsdorp, de Vrij, van Dijk, Willems

Wijnaldum-Strootman-Klaassen

Sneijder

Promes-Janssen

14. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hehe maybe if Chery played the same position!
    I think it only shows how far Blind is searching for a proper DM.. seems like he realizes finally that now is not yet the time for Bazoer.

It's just provisional now anyway..

15. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No Robben too bad.

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Robben is on the bench for todays Hertha game, so thats good.
    And Huntelaar scored a goal as well

17. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We absolutely need Robben. Always.

richsavare and Rinus127 repped this.
  18. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I think Robben will make it to the final selection. His presence alone is a huge morale boost for the team. If he can log as a sub for 15-20 mins, that'd be helpful especially if the team is chasing goals. If he can play from the start, that's fantastic! Not counting on this.. but who knows, there are still 2+ weeks before Belarus.

Janmaat out is concerning.. not because he's great and awesome, but because there are no ideal replacements. I absolutely hate the idea of Veltman or Bruma at RB.. both are pretty awkward there. Not sure if Tete is up for the challenge (he's not been regular lately for Ajax, no?). Karsdorp has zero caps.

Blind should think out of the box... a 3-5-2 with Wijnaldum at RWB (a la Dirk Kuyt) might be an interesting option. One-to-one defending is not what I would associate with Gino, but 3 CB's backing him up could be all right. At least Gino will being some instant offense and bottomless energy.

richsavare repped this.
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Tete played in the cup tie against Willem II yesterday and as usual shut down attacks down his flank. I'm hoping that Bosz starts him this weekend against PEC as he is going to be needed in the EL matches that are coming up.

20. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I love the 3-5-2 to be honest, but realistically we have better players for the wide positions if we're going that route. Wijnaldum is generally better in a central role, or cutting in. As a wingback or wide midfielder we wouldn't be looking for that from him.

de Vrij - van Dijk - Blind
    Karsdorp - Wijnaldum - Strootman - Sneijder - Willems
    Promes - Janssen​

I like it a lot actually, especially considering Janssen's hold up play and ability to find teammates in the box. He'd always be on the lookout for late runs from guys like Promes, Wijnaldum, etc. Strootman would play a little deeper and act as a deep lying playmaker while Sneijder and Wijnaldum have a bit more freedom to roam and go forward. Promes plays a bit behind Janssen almost like a SS.

21. If Promes and Janssen manage not to score with so much assists power behind them right from the defense, they really suck. I like this set up.

Frysk Bloed repped this.
  22. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  23. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  24. Keko

Keko Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    For the next 10 years or so Holland should break away from the classic 4-3-3 formation. We don't have decent wingers anymore, and I'm afraid we won't for a very long time. With Strootman, Van Ginkel, Ramselaar, Nouri, and Frenkie de Jong, the midfielder will be our strongest zone.

Rinus127 repped this.