Review: 2018 WC Qualifying - Towards winning our first WC title: А дело бывало -- и коза волка съедала.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jul 23, 2015.

?

Netherlands will end up as nr. 1 in the group.

1. No-brainer. Of course we will.

23.1%
  2. If we start like the Euro 2016 qualification, no way. We will go to Russia though.

42.3%
  3. Not even going to qualify. We do a 2002.

34.6%
  1. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    we should have gotten all 3 but getting 1 pt away is ok

2. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Should not even been a call. Just look at the dude's face. Played the victim card even before there was contact.

3. onzie77

onzie77 Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 18, 2012
    miami
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    such a pity three points would mean two draws against france and winning out would guarantee position numero uno

richsavare repped this.
  4. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bulgaria 4-3 Luxembourg. Surprise leaders in group A.

5. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    All in all very pleased with the game. We still lack talent in some areas but were the much better team tonight. Created a lot of chances but just couldn't finish and the Swedish goalie was very good. Plus it should have been 2 1 as that goal at the end should have never been waved off.

Should have been 3 points but a lot of positives to build off of. Strootman should only get better as he shakes off the rust. Van Dijk was a rock back there. I would love to see Van Dijk, Blind, De Vrij, and Janmaat as the back 4. Seems very solid to me.

Wijnaldum is still so inconsistent for the NT. Looks good one game and then invisible the next. I liked Klassen quite a bit. Janssen is awesone. We still need some more attacking options but don't know who else there is.

Pretty awesome to know I'll be at the next two games. Coming from Canada for them. Haven't been this excited for something in a long time.

Hup Holland

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Too bad they couldn't prove me right and get the second goal. They totally outplayed the Swedes and had some decent shots on goal a couple of which were well saved by the keeper. One big cock up per game and that's just what happens again. A simple kick out to touch by Strootman and things would have still been 0-0. Zoet had little to do but he does really slow the game down as he keeps the ball too long. Blind and van Dijk were solid. Bruma is Bruma. Janmaat can't defend but we know that; he's on the pitch to go forward which he did. I won't say anything more about Strootman. Klaassen is good in the box but lost when he had to drop back in the midfield when Dost comes on. Klaassen doesn't have enough ball skills to play deep. Sneijder was strong. Janssen was excellent and Promes did enough when he had the ball and his interplay with Janmaat was good. Too bad Dost had to shove the defender!!!

On another night Dutch might have had 3 or 4 goals.

France and Belarus are drawn at 0-0!

Keko repped this.
  7. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    No suprise to me that in the couple of minutes that Janmaat started going forward and taking innitiative the goals and oppertunities came. As if having an attacking fullback actually getting to get into the opponents half with space is benefitial to breaking down a bunker with the middle stacked.. Who knew...

8. gabriel_guilarte

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    lol

9. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Been like that for every clubteam too bar perhaps PSV where I didnt follow him so much.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Are you talking about the push by Dost? That's an easy call and it's always a foul.

11. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Strootman had some great passes, two potential assists to Klaassen and Dost, but he is just not a good DM. Too slow with the ball, and in his challenges too. Therefore, I don't know how to use this player. I think we have better 8's than him and better 6's. And obviously he is no 10.
    Nigel was stronger defensivly and able to spread the ball a way quicker than Strootman.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You can play either one of those players but not both. They are only good in the box and not of much use in the deep midfield.

13. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think you're being a bit harsh here. Keep in mind he's just coming back from what was considered to be a potential career ending injury, and it was almost 2 years of no football. He's strong defensively, he's smart, and he'll get some more speed and turning back as he continues to heal and get gametime. He's a very good option to have in midfield -- certainly our best right now.

Keko and wilson00 repped this.
  14. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just need to be sure to win at home. We both will lose points against France. Not the greatest starts, but there were some positives.

15. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As far as fullbacks go I think definitely in a game like against France or a good offensive team that won't bunker up we should be playing Tete and Blind as our fullbacks and in a game against teams that will bunker up and try to hit on the counter we need creativity out wide so I would say Janmaat or Karsdorp and Willems/Blind.

The midfield should always be anchored by Strootman, but I still feel that we need a player capable of carrying the ball out of midfield and not just passing it. Maybe Ramselaar or Sinkgraven can mature into that player but right now they're not there yet. I'd probably go with a Propper - Strootman - Sneijder midfield with Wijnaldum better suited to the wing. Though as has been suggested before I wouldn't be opposed to trying Willems as a winger.

16. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Zei hij nou "Zoals de hazen lopen in het voetbal" ?

17. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    We will have to agree to disagree. I watched it again and Dost hardly touches him. The post game show back here in Canada also said that should have never been called back. I really dont think there was enough contact there to warrant the whistle. But I can see why some people may think there is.

18. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Nope, he was already slow and bad defensivly even before his injuries.

The mistake he did on the goal tonight is something he has done many times in the past..Remember his game against Germany under Van Marwijk (lost 3-0), he was the worst player on the pitch, just too slow and losing so many balls like the ones he lost tonight, so bad that Van Marwijk didn't use him again while he was a potential starter for Euro2012.

Remember his -21 euro in 2013, was letting big avenues in the midfield because of his slowness, he is just too easy to beat in 1vs1, he is always late in his interventions. Some slow players can compensate with great anticipation like Mathijsen, but Strootman isn't great at anticipating neither.

Orange14 repped this.
  19. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Liked the way Oranje played with a sense of urgency.
    Good pressing and faster movement which has not been happening lately enough for my liking.
    De Vrij for Bruma and adding Robben will be nice.
    Shame we drop 2 points but prior to the Greece debacle Oranje were on a bit of run getting results again after the dreadful Euro Qualifiers.
    Some questions to be asked but really should have won today much better then Sweden.

Keko repped this.
  20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Funny but the post game show in the US came to the opposite conclusion. The key thing is that he didn't even have to put his hand on the Swedish defender as he was always going to get the header in. Oh well, calls like this happen. Key thing is that they really outplayed Sweden and should have had the second goal were it not for some good keeping.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    According to ESPN stats are: 70% possession, 24 shots, with nine on goal. Decent enough.

22. The Orange team isnot a revalidation centre, especially not in the current circumstances. So you are either in form and shape and play in Orange or you stay away from it.

curbo repped this.
  23. So .... in a way you are saying LvGaal was saved by his injury and because of that almost made it to the finals 2014?

24. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Elk nadeel heb ze voordeel.
    I wish more coaches would think like that, LvG included.

25. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Good that the Dutch played with much more sense of urgency and created a lot more chances (compared to the match vs. Greece). Not-so-good news is that they couldn't convert those chances and as a result a 2-point loss. The call on Dost was a 5o-5o in my opinion, it could have been given either way. Dost, on an earlier occasion, wasted a golden opportunity that could have sealed the match. Klaassen should have had also at least one goal.

I think this was probably the most sensible starting lineup Blind Sr. had put together, given the player availability that he had. Virgil Van Dijk is a lock going forward, he's settling nicely and getting calmer/more comfortable. He had a really great defensive header despite losing balance, and was unlucky not to score from Sneijder's free kick. I would have replaced Bruma (who contributed nothing in attack, and always increased my blood pressure anytime he was near the ball) with Stef De Vrij when he's back in fitness. Daley did fine. I wouldn't mind Janmaat at RB. Defense is never his forte, but at least he lit up the attack. Strootman, aside from him mistake, had a solid all-around match. Klaassen, Wijnaldum and Sneijder were somewhat "position-less" - they didn't look too shabby. Probably could argue that Propper should be in the conversation as well, but for now I'd prefer Davy and Gino... both are tireless runners and goal-scorers, they just need to take their chances cleanly. Janssen is still in progress, but he can only get better. His movement was quite fluid and he could hold up the ball really well. I love his confidence taking shots from distance and on the volley. Promes is hot and cold... serviceable but I am hoping that Robben will come back with enough juice in the next matches.

richsavare repped this.