2018 USMNT Schedule

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I just don't understand the radio silence on this from US Soccer.

2. JamesENicholson

Feb 18, 2005
    Indeed. Let us know. I have been to over 50 USMNT games and the games are an excuse to travel. If it’s “away” in Europe I’d love to know so we can book flights.

Starman* repped this.
  3. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Any word? Rumors other than Japan in Europe?

By now, under normal circumstances, USSF would have announced the friendlies for the March window.

Gulati promised a full schedule after the flame out in T&T. USSF already broke that promise by playing only one match in the first post-WCQ window in November.

Seriously. What's the deal? Is USSF grappling with the fact that its MNT is not a desirable opponent with an appearance fee probably too high for the fifth best team in CONCACAF? European fans aren't going to pay good money to see a non WC qualified team that lacks technical skills and tactical awareness.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Yes, Italy is booked. Wikipedia has that one. I cannot thing of any good reason USSF is not announcing these things.

6. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't accept Wikipedia as confirmation. Originally, it showed the US playing Japan in Hiroshima. I'm not saying that the game vs. Japan in Italy won't happen. However, none of the USSF, JFA or FIFA websites list it.

My best guess is that promoters and associations are haggling over money. It is like when a once great headliner has to realize that he is playing the Holiday Inn cocktail lounge for drinks, tips, a much smaller fee and a cheap motel room.

7. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff has a piece over at the Washington Post's website that talks about the problems we've had in scheduling March friendlies. I don't want to go to it again because they have a free article limit now.

8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dlokteff and Winoman repped this.
  9. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    This blows.

If we got Japan in Italy on the 1st date, I looked, and I could definitely have missed some things (and I didn't check every country nearby on the globe, but I got pretty close) options are (maybe)...

Denmark
    Turkey
    Ukraine
    Israel

I couldn't confirm match for these nations.

Also, I couldn't find any info on Qatar. Maybe we should go down there and start prepping.

10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Of course you shouldn't just accept Wikipedia. JFA does confirm they will be in Europe during the March FIFA dates. As other leg work confirms, most teams already are booked and JFA hasn't announced any opponents. Seems likely they are just waiting for whatever we are waiting for.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denmark is playing Panama on March 21.

Turkey is playing Ireland on March 22 and Montenegro on March 27.

Ukraine is playing Saudi Arabia on March 22.

Israel is playing Romania on March 24. In 2013, Israel came to New York City and beat Honduras 2-0. Israel also got a 1-1 draw at Portugal that October. Since then, Israel has gotten worse, and in the FIFA Rankings they're worse than every team in the Hexagonal.

12. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Exactly. So Denmark, Turkey, Israel are available for a game around 3/27.

Scratch Turkey then.

13. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Running out of possibly opponents.

14. hoys

hoys Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  15. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That schedule lists no games in March, 2018 and refers to matches in the post WC FIFA windows as friendlies rather than as League of Nations matches.

16. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    March, 2018 is in FY'18, so oops. Still, will there be MNT matches in this window? Tick, tock.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Winoman, ussoccer97531 and Starman* repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not bad. Ireland will give us a competitive game.

19. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So wikipedia has us playing Japan in Genova in March...why hasn't USSF said a peep? Honestly, WTF?

20. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017

Winoman repped this.
  21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The Irish and French FAs have announced games and USSF still hasn't acknowledged them. The Japan game is either with a Paraguay game 4 days later or not happening. Japan is going to Europe and they don't seem to have anyone to play.

They would probably play the Paraguay game at RB Arena to sell out with Paraguay fans. Was a good crowd for USA v Paraguay in Philly in Copa, Over 50,000 announced. I was there, don't remember any of the upper deck with people, so that number seems high, but a good crowd.

22. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF is a little preoccupied right now. Japan did have on the wiki page they were playing us and then a week later playing Ireland but now both games have disappeared from their wiki. So it looks like no more Japan game.

I was at the Gold Cup game in Philly and was sitting in the upper deck but there was 2 game there that day so maybe that's why they had the upper deck open.

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  24. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Paraguay game will be in Cary, NC per Goff.

25. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I’m taking it as a personal insult that they scheduled this game for when I’m traveling to England for a week. I was on the fence about Cordeiro but now he’s lost me for good.

Winoman repped this.