2018+ TEAM JAPAN (Currently: Suzuki, Fujita, Ito, Okazaki) @ Sint-Truidense V.V. (BEL)

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by Dax, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Suzuki, Nakamura, and Matsubara are all starting.

Ito not even in the bench, while Schmidt is still out of the squad as it seems he is not yet fully recovered from his injury.

2. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Asisst for Matsubara, but their team lost 1-3 away against Anderlecht.

3. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    seolseol repped this.
  4. _katsukun_

_katsukun_ Member

n/a
    Japan
    Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    https://www.elevensports.be/
    They own the rights and have a streaming plan : 10.99€/month or 109€/season.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  5. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Thank you:thumbsup:.

6. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    this is available for outside belgium IPs?

7. _katsukun_

_katsukun_ Member

n/a
    Japan
    Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes, but only in Europe.
    But I suppose solvable with vpn.

8. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Is their a similar service which covers every match in the Dutch league?

Ziggo and ESPN Netherlands are requiring a Dutch mobile number to register.

9. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I just watched Sint Tuiden vs. Oostende, and it was a very poor match from both sides.

Suzuki and Matsubara were the only Japanese in the starting line-up, with Matsubara being the most impressive player of the team in both the defensive and offensive ends.

Suzuki, on the other hand, shall leave this team as soon as possible, unless the team buy some decent players to support him in the attacking zone.
    In many ocassions, he tried to play a 1-2 or 1-3 with his teammates, but they didn't have the tactical awareness to adapt with him and to read his moves. Colidio in particular is a joke, he might think that he is the next Cristiano Ronaldo and is trying to do too much by himself and overdoing things to show some fancy tricks, but his end-product is a total waste.

To be honest, this week marked my first experience to watch full matches of the Belgian league, and after watching 4 matches and 7 teams in the space of a week I can admit that the level of the teams, players, and coaching is way too behind the J-League.

The only thing the Belgian league is superior than the J-League in is physical challenges.

At some points and some plays it seems to me that I am watching an amateur league, too much wrong passes, too much losing cotrol of easy balls, poor finishing, and poor tactical organisation (which has to do with poor level of coaches in the Belgian league).

Regarding the poor coaching point, it seems at times that the teams involved are groups of amateurs playing at their neighbourhood's backyard, and the role of the coaches is just to select the formation and the starting line-up (with the exception of Paul Clement who is really turning Cercle Brugge from a team facing the threat of relegation to a one of the most organised teams in the league that might end up the season in one of the European competitions spots. KV Mechelen also is another exception, as they are a well-organised team, and their coach deserves credit too).

This is said, I percieve the level of the second divisions in both Germany and Spain as higher than the level of the Belgian top division, especially when it comes to coaching, and a player like Suzuki will be well-served in the German 2.Bundesliga.

The reason why some Japanese were big succes in Belgian league and others not; is because the successful ones either had:
    1- Good coaching
    2- Good overall quality of the team they are playing in.
    3- Take the initiative by themselves, be proactive, and decide to do things by their own, rather than depending on their hapless coaches and teammates, and try in the process to play up to their qualities rather than getting lost in chaotic teams.

This is my impression after watching 4 full matches involving 7 teams: Genk, Antwerp, Cercle Brugge, Sint Truiden, Stadard Liege, Mechelen, and Oostende.

GunnerTNB, seolseol and verde água repped this.
  10. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    The thing is by going to Belgium, he gets to simply focus on slowly adapting to a culture different from Japan first since the level of play is easier in Belgium than J league and this can help him when he goes to another league e.g Spain and Bundesliga, etc.
    As u mentioned, i also think he should have went to Segunda Division, 2.Bundesliga or even French Ligue 2 since he have potential to perform in them when he left J league imo rather than just go to Belgium where other than the physicality aspect, the league as a whole may be behind J league.

11. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Belgium shall be a stepping stone for Japanese players, no more.

Unless the player in question is in his late 20s and are not considered for NT selection - at least potentially- , such as Morioka and Kobayashi, then there is no problem in staying Belgium.

Staying in Belgium for the likes of Yuma Suzuki for more than 2-3 years is a waste of talent and career development.

12. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Maybe he can move to a lower-ranked club in a top 5 league next season. I feel that maybe a relegation-battling club Bundesliga or Ligue 1 might suit him. Nakamura is young and maybe can stay a season more but I think that potential wise, there is a slight chance that he might have a higher ceiling than Suzuki

13. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nakamura needs good coaching to improve his strengths and overcome his shortcomings, I am not sure if Kevin Muscat is the right person, but he has no options in Europe other than Sint-Truiden right now.

This is said, Nakamura have to work hard and use this season as a chance of learning and improving his skills all by himself.

14. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Aggreed, one of the worst ever matches I've had to watch.

Have to partially disagree here instead. I've been watching the league for some years now and while there are certainly awful matches - and teams - I don't think the league overall is worse than the Jleague, nor second divisions. I watch the Jleague weekly too and there are plenty of horrendous matches there too, sadly.
    Just consider how many excellent players has the belgian league produced in the latest years: one recent example is that absolute monster that was Jonathan David. He used to play in Canada in a completely unknown team.
    Or, Genk I think made 40+ millions just from two players last winter. There's a lot of good players that scouts of the big leagues keep buying from this league.
    Aside from the physical challenges, I find the overall intensity a little higher - then again, as with everything, it depends on the team. Kawasaki Frontale is probably way more intense than the awful Oostende!
    Agree that the coaching level leaves to be desired...
    And yeah, Yuma was much better served when he had Boli who was truly a good player. The team now lacks good forward, I'm hoping Ito can play more because yesterday there were some good combinations.

GunnerTNB repped this.
  15. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, my point is about coaching and tactical organisations of the teams, and whether their players are playing as a robust and cohesvie unit.

Yes, you might find some players who are brilliant individually and greater than some of their counterparts in the J-League, but how the teams and players are functioning holistically?

Well, most teams are very poor in this regard compared to J-League, or German and Spanish second divisions, this is what I meant.

As I described them in my previous post, most teams are like groups of amateurs playing at their neighbourhood's backyard, and the role of the coaches is just to select the formation and the starting line-up.

You cannot see such thing in the J-League, not by any chance.

Even when it comes to the overall quality of players, J-League are way ahead of Belgian league. I am watching the J.League since the 2000 seaon (this is my 21st year), and I never saw such rate of stray passes, poor control of the ball, and lack of tactical awareness.

The point why some outliers went from Belgian league to be a big succes in top 5 leagues, but you have bear in mind that Belgian league is better scouted than the J-League, and better percieved than the J-League by teams in top 5 leagues because it more proximate to the J.League.

16. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hmm, I guess we'll have to disagree on some things.
    The J-League teams play a much more organized football, no doubt. But to the point that too often the individuality is often lacking (or suppressed? ). I find many players in this league who are clearly more capable. It's not just a matter of close scouting anymore, when the other clubs pay for some of these players fees in the range of 5+ to 30 millions.
    Even taking STVV as an example (which is an average team), you have players like Colombatto which is on par with some of Jleague's finest midfielders.
    Or take Nazon, absolutely embarassing player if you watched the game against Gent.
    Well, he's the same striker who toyed with Japan's national team players in that famous Haiti friendly....

YakYak, seolseol and zdrstvte repped this.
  17. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    A certain player's transfer fee or estimated market value doesn't reflect his actual value and abilities.
    Specially in the last 20 years, when transfer fees and estimated market values are incredibly inflated, in addition to some players getting incredibly overhyped anf getting overvalued as a result.

Especially with huge cash flows being injected into the budgets of some clubs (EPL clubs in particular), to the point of carelessness where you can find a club paying huge amount of money to sign a player only to place him in the transfer list six months later, and selling him for a lower price than the price they paid for him 6 months ago.

In a proper environment, a club will do their best not to waste their investment and wil be patient on the player and find ways to integrate him and utilise him in their team.

Take a look at the difference between Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes, Bruno is clearly better than Pogba, and his contributions to the team was greater than Pogba's last season, yet, Pogba costed Manchester United more 25 million euros than Bruno.

The variable you built your argument on is irrelevant.

18. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Have to agree with you to a certain extent imo, one problem I notice in J league is that they lack key players who possess great individual quality and change the tide of the game when it is not going well in their favour. Vast majority of Japanese players are system players imo, they just play their respective roles in their system well but when the opponent is overwhelming, they simply cannot reverse the tide. They should produce more players who have the tenacity to play the game in their own hands and try things out when their tactics are not going as planned.
    They rely on the system too much.

Belgium were outplayed for a period against Japan but managed to change the tide with a Vertonghen's header which some can argue by luck but still it showed the difference in mentality between Japan and Belgium in the game. Of course, their stronger bench depth which allows them to rest more in between games was also a factor in the tournament as well.

Japan at least have Kubo which may be such a player, but still it is not enough as of yet. The J league may need to further refine their youth system to produce more individualistic players. Nagatomo once commented after the World Cup that Japan lacks such superstar players.

19. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #269 Dax, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    '70 minutes in, Matsubara has been very poor today, always late.
    STVV playing bad and slow football with Eupen in 10...
    Should sub in Ito to get some much-needed spark...
    edit: Ito in... the midfield. lol

20. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Ito was subbed in the 66th minute.

I don't think Mastubara is poor at all.

21. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Suzuki scored a goal from a PK he earned.

Yamato Damashii and seolseol repped this.
  22. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    According to STVV's social manager, today Nazon is both on the field and on the bench at the same time.
    2020 guys.
    [​IMG]

seolseol repped this.
  23. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #273 Dax, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    The team plays like crap. They won only against Gent who has been shit this season
    Hopefully they can hire a competent manager soon.
    A few basic adjustments:
    Schmidt > Steppe
    Colidio on the wings -> might as well keep him as a sub for Suzuki instead, play Ito or Nakamura
    Konate or Asamoah > Durkin

24. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you say Schmidt is better than Steppe? I haven't watched, but I was under the impression that Dan lucked out when Steppe got hurt last year allowing him to take over the job.

25. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Indeed. Another amateurish performance from Sint Truiden.

No organisation, no discipline, no coaching, no plan, no passing accuracy.

Kevin Muscat shall be sacked, Colidio shall not start, and Schmidt shall start instead of their current GK.

The level of Sint Truiden and other lower of the table teams in the Belgian league is well below the standard of J1. The passing accuarcy is scarefully awful.

Even a team like Machida Zelvia, who are not even among the promotion candidates in J2, can avoid relegation easily in this league and can finish at midtable with a bit of luck.

A player like Taiki Hirato has passing quality better than most players in this league (especially those playing for lower of the table teams).

It will be curious to know the percentage of successful passes in the Belgian league, as I believe it is well below 50%.