2018 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Dec 13, 2017.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As I recall the 2013 iteration of the CBA (MOU), and my recall isn't what it used to be, players were given the choice of playing outside the league in the two years prior to the WC or the year following. This jibes with Heath and Rapinoe going to France but returning to the league during the 2014 season. Morgan Brian's Lyon contract seems to show the new CBA has changed/removed this restriction

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Can this start already

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    blissett repped this.
  5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Not sure what we would have expected from Matheson after returning for a long injury. Yael is a solid player that can fill in at many different locations and we get a third round pick.

CoachJon, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I expect Yael to play that #6 role similar to Winters. This should allow more freedom to players like Fishlock, Utsugi and Long

blissett repped this.
  7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Having Amanda performing all the duties of a commissioner except without the original title is like dating and living with a guy for 10+ years and not getting married.

blissett repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    With Matheson and Scott, UTR is getting a strong, distinctively Canadian flair. Interesting build.

9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Nothing surprising yet

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well that pick surprised the panel. They were quiet for like 11 minutes after that pick

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Wait what did Houston trade the #6 pick for?

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, @Blaze20, which thread are we using for the draft? There's some discussion also in the draft thread.

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Haha seems I was in the wrong thread the entire time. Well that;s what happens when you are working and watching the draft at the same time

lil_one repped this.
  14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #114 SiberianThunderT, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018

Draft picks aside, there's a ton of ***potential*** trade discussion to be had with all of these "players to be determined later" clauses. (Also, Sky Blue is apparently getting three, not two, from Chicago, while shipping two to Chicago themselves. Craziness!)
    All signs point to big-name players moving. I think that means any player with NT experience for her country is in the picture here... Which gives us
    HOU: Poliana, Daly, BB, Lloyd, Prince, Beckie
    CHI: Naeher, Ertz, Huerta, Press
    NJ: Kerr, Rodriguez, Sheridan

blissett repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Trying to wrap my head around this megatrade... Chicago, being the link in the middle, has a wide range for potential overall amount of change.

If you take the order announced as the order that the trade will take place in, then the two players they get from Houston could be immediately flipped to Sky Blue, meaning Chicago only loses two current players (and an int'l spot) in exchange for two players from Sky Blue.

On the other hand, if trade order doesn't matter and Chicago don't play middleman at all, then that would be a total of four current players (and an int'l spot) out in exchange for four players, two each from Sky Blue and Houston.

And of course, there are middle ground between option A and option B. It all depends on exactly how much Chicago wants to overhaul their current roster, and which other-team players they want to bring in to the fold. Considering that Chicago's lineup has been a playoff-calibur lineup since 2014, I have trouble believing they want to shake things up too much, so I'd lean more toward option A, but who knows?

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There's been talk on these boards earlier of a Lloyd-Rodriguez swap, which can't happen unless trade order is irrelevant, but for the sake of WMG let's assume it happens. Also, rumor on Twitter is Kerr to Chicago, so let's throw that in the mix and see what else can fall out, since that fills up five of the eight player moves:

Hou-Chi-1: Lloyd
    Sky-Chi-1: Rodriguez
    Sky-Chi-2: Kerr
    Chi-Hou-1: Rodriguez (plus that int'l slot!)
    Chi-Sky-1: Lloyd
    Chi-Sky-2: ??? [Press/Ertz to make up for Kerr?]
    Chi-Sky-3: ???
    Hou-Chi-2: ???

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    blissett repped this.
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Assuming this sticks I think Press will like playing for Pauw in a more European style.

CoachJon repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Maybe some will see it as blasphemy, but I guess in the end losing Press but getting Kerr could turn out good for Chicago. I know Press was the heart of the team and a fan-favourite, but actually I guess what Red Stars were missing was a player who can really deliver big goals when needed, and Kerr can do that.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Also Houston has the potential to score a couple goals with attackers like Press, Daly, Ohai, Jordan...ok...maybe I understate.

21. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    I am more sad then stunned. :cry::(I will miss Press so much! Kerr is a great player, to be sure. Maybe she can get us over the Championship line:unsure:. Will be interesting to see which other players will leave :cautious:

blissett repped this.
  22. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    other thought...wasn't there some talk of Kerr maybe going to Europe? If that happens, that will suck! CRS would only get her for some of the season. Someone please tell me that was a rumor and nothing else! :cautious:

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I can't believe CRS made this deal without a commitment from Kerr.

blissett repped this.
  24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Ok let's get the speculation going. I'll probably get more right than trying to predict the draft:

Houston ---> Lloyd ----> Chicago
    Houston ----> Beckie ----> Chicago
    Chicago ----> Press -----> Houston
    Chicago -----> Lloyd ----> Sky Blue
    Chicago -----> Beckie -----> Sky Blue
    Chicago ----> Player 3 ----Sky Blue
    Sky Blue ----> Kerr ----> Chicago
    Sky Blue ----> Player 2 -----> Chicago

So the way I see it the draft picks that exchanged hands today was fairly even so they were minor parts of the deal. Houston trades Lloyd and Beckie for Press which in my view is fair value. Chicago then flips those two to Sky Blue for Kerr. Which again is fair value. The 3rd player leaving Chicago will mostly match the value of the 2nd player leaving Sky Blue. I expect them to be pretty minor.

blissett repped this.
  25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And then there's this, too, which says Beckie is one of the players leaving Houston (and it sounds like she'll stay in Chicago, as opposed to Lloyd who definitely went to NJ next): https://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo...-Lloyd-and-Janine-Beckie-acquire-12507517.php

So instead of the Lloyd/Rodriguez and Press/Kerr direct trades I thought of earlier, it looks more like a Lloyd/Press/Kerr rotation with Beckie and some other players moving alongside.

blissett repped this.