2018 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Dec 13, 2017.

1. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Huerta hasn't played outside back at all for Houston and doesn't seem much interested in playing defense. Can she make the NT as a midfielder. She might, but given that Ellis seems interested in her as an outside back, her chances seem a bit problematic. The USNT midfield isn't heavy on attacking talent. Horan can score (on headers, mostly), Lavelle has qualities but her hammy is a big question mark, and Lloyd is old. That gives Huerta a chance--but her work rate is suspect and that would be a negative for me if I were picking the roster. I think Huerta's chances might hinge on the health of Lavelle.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

If Im the Dash I pick her up if she makes it to them. The only actual CB on their entire roster is Van Wyk who is currently injured.

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently she's on her way to Europe.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It would still be worth it to get her rights.

5. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Can you pick up the right to someone without offering a contract?

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes. Rights to a player just mean you have exclusive access to begin contract talks.

kernel_thai repped this.
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I would guess if u pick someone off waivers u have to offer a contract. As she already had a Swedish gig lined up she would have said no but the Dash would have kept her rights. If she says yes then the Dash would need to make a roster move to clear a spot for her.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To my understanding, it's less that you "have to offer" a contract, more that you're picking up an existing one. I think that the waiver wire is for players who are still contracted with the league even though their individual team has given them up. As such, the terms of their original contract still exist as long as they're on the waiver wire. Only if that expires does their league contract fully void, at which point any team could come in and renegotiate a contract.

Including, I think, the team that waived her, oddly. IIRC, I think there might've been a situation a few years ago when a player was waived by her team, not picked on the waiver wire, and they was re-picked-up by her original team within the week, just with a new contract. I think it had to do with reneg'ing salary for cap reasons... I wanna say it was Chicago, but I'm not sure if I'm even remember the gist of the story correctly, much less the details.

But yes, if you pick someone off waivers, you're basically agreeing to fulfill the remainder of the contract they had with their previous team. And that would certainly secure you her rights. I'm not 100% sure how rights work once a player falls off waivers - but I think the team who waived her gives up their rights in the act of waiving.

9. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I was commenting on this:
    What does it mean for this case? Practically nothing. It's not "a right" in a sense you can hold on to her for some length of time.

You can start by negotiating a contract (which you can't because she is under contract to some club in Europe, presumably) , but even if you can, either you agree to a contract or if not, she is not yours to keep.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's the thing - teams in NWSL can have exclusive hold on a player even if she's not under contract. Player rights are a BIG thing in NWSL - from unclaimed college draft rookies to internationals to discovery players. (See: the saga of Elise Kellond-Knight.) It's what a centralized league like NWSL or MLS does to keep teams from poaching each other and driving prices through the roof. Since all players officially sign with the league and are dealt to teams (as opposed to signing directly with the teams) when a team claims rights over a player, she is effectively theirs if she ever does join the league, until that claim expires.

In theory, even if she was heading off to Europe, someone claiming her on waivers could, I believe, give the team rights to the player for some period of time, even if she leaves the league. IIRC, any time a player leaves the league, the team to most recently have her contract holds on to her rights for some period of time to ensure that they still have first dibs if/when she does return to the league. If a team were to claim her off waivers, they wouldn't need to start negotiating a new contract because they'd be instead claiming her old one, in which case they could have her rights even as she goes overseas.

11. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    You talk in theory and throw in these words: "until that claim expires".
    How long is that? 1 hr, 1 yr, forever?

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #562 SiberianThunderT, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Only the second paragraph was "in theory" since it was postulation as to what *could* gave gone down with the current situation, just to show that what kernel_thai suggested was reasonable based on my understanding of league rules. The first paragraph was as factual as I could be, considering I don't study the NWSL roster rules with the level needed to actually navigate the legality of things. It's not like any of us are league officials or agents. I believe most rights claim last for a year, but they might be tied to season-relative dates instead of "365 days after the claim is made" or whatever other definition of a year you might use.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Someone should un-sticky this thread. It's 2019, and the last post was 11 months ago - and several player moves happened since then.

Including one within the last hour, but it's 2019, not 2018, so I won't pollute this topic further.

blissett repped this.
  14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    not sure if it’s been posted yet somewhere else on BS, but Kim Little has rejoined the Reign

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am aware that this is the only sticky thread, but it's from 2018: the best place to post this piece of news is the 2022 Player Moves thread.

soccermuse repped this.