News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Yea but we know announced numbers are full of shit. It always includes empty seats marked as sold

2. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You just answered to yourself

Dizi repped this.
  3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    We? That's an interesting pronoun. As far as I'm concerned, "We" can ******** off and die.

4. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #1229 Q*bert Jones III, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    That Colorado game was hilarious. You should watch the highlights. I think the new schedule is an improvement overall but we should expect to see atrocities like that along with terrible attendance around the league if we're going to schedule games in March. All those morons who wanted a winter schedule should be embarrassed.

Also, as noted, Nick Deleon looked great for TFC. But Ousted also stood on his head against LA and probably got the save of the season in Week 1 for Chicago.

GumbyG and Chesco United repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and still managed to lose

GumbyG repped this.
  6. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    WTF, AJAX, GREAT JOB!

Dizi, yabo, John L and 1 other person repped this.
  7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Starting this early is beyond stupid. But someone figured the owner/investors could skim a bit more money by doing it this way. I've been a fan since '96, I was there Sunday night in a 35 degree rain. I'm 68 though, and I'm not sure I've got it in me to go through that shit for much longer.

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've been starting the season in early March for most of this decade.

sitruc and Theopisa repped this.
  9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a good bit older than you and seriously questioned the almost-mile walk each way and the rain and cold, but was comforted by the thought that my row 12 seat on the west side would be dry. WRONG! Now I comfort myself thinking that the remainder of the games will be played in warmer, dryer weather - maybe.

10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But how about when we play in 100 degrees F in the summer? Isn't that at least as bad? Not to mention for the players! I have been telling this for years, MLS has a very flexible calendar, they could easily have teams which are located in warmer geographic area play at home when elsewhere it is still cold, and the problem would be solved, or almost. You could even move to a fall to spring schedule this way. If Russia has done it, so can USA/Canada.

Dizi, benni... and Winoman repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    So United doesn't play at home early or in the middle of the season?

12. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Cold and hot are different. You can take off clothes in the summer, a warm rain is annoying, not bone chilling. Sunday was miserable because it was both cold and damp. Now, having played rec league soccer here in the summer, I always felt like I was playing under water due to the humidity. But from a spectator standpoint, I can handle heat much better than I can cold.

13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OK but that's you, for me it's the opposite, what is most important is that it shoud be better for the players and for the game. Ask Rooney if he rather play in weather like sunday or like last summer.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am not concerned about United, but if you MLS are fearing weather conditions and semi empty stands, in March have teams like Orlando, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, LA x 2, San Jose, future Miami, future Nashville etc play home for a couple of weeks, and teams like TFC, Montreal, Colorado, Minnesota, NY x 2, DC, Philly play away for a couple of games. If I can figure this out, so can anybody else. Last weekend problem was in Denver, not in DC. And then, every now and then, games get postponed and then recuperated later on, it's not the end of the world.

Dizi, Winoman and asitis repped this.
  15. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    We just differ on what is acceptable. I don't believe the standard US soccer fan will go to matches in freezing or worse weather -- it's just not part of the culture. Also, putting northern teams on an extended road trip to start the season works an early disadvantage to them and a corresponding later advantage when the southern teams are on extended trips up north. The simple fact is that North America is not Europe from a climate standpoint. Winter here is brutal in many parts of the country -- other than Scandanavia and Russia, the weather in Europe is not as extreme. Also, the northern countries like Germany and Denmark go on a winter hiatus for about 6 weeks to avoid the worst weather.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  16. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    This. Exactly what I was thinking watching the Colorado match. I would add RSL to the cold weather group,
    With respect, two games is not an extended road trip. You'll still get the occasional bad weather game, but those two weeks will make a big difference.
    This Sunday's game was the first regular season game I've missed because of the weather. But it wasn't the weather in DC; it was the snow at home that I didn't want to drive through to get there. The Red Bull playoff game a few years back is the only other game that was snowed out for me. People having to sit in the cold rain because the roof wasn't finished is another discussion all together.

asitis

Dizi, Theopisa and Winoman repped this.
  17. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Suck it, Red Bulls.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ottawa, Canada, is the fifth coldest capitol city in the world. so nearby Montreal must be a bit chilly also. Moscow is third. The other ranked coldest capitals don't play much soccer, except maybe for Tallin, Estonia. So yes, some schedule consideration for our northern US and Canadian teams might make a lot of sense.

19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You can take off clothes, but you'd still be hot.

You can bundle up for cold weather. Layers and thermal wear can protect you.

Nothing can protect you from 105 degree weather with 100% humidity.

Winoman repped this.
  20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Besides DC has laws against indecent exposure.

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  21. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Houston, to a lesser extent, can also suck it.

22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And if you are a player you do not even have the priviledge of being able to take off your shirt. Not even beach soccer players.

Winoman repped this.
  23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously you have never met me in person.

song219, UnitedBorn, benni... and 3 others repped this.
  24. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Atlanta can suck it too. :ROFLMAO:

25. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Atlanta is finding out what Real Madrid is finding out, that you can't sell your best player and expect to pick up near where you left off. I'd even argue that in an apples to apples comparison (because this isn't) Atlanta is worse off because Almiron was much of a creator compared to Ronaldo.

asitis repped this.