News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I disagree. Empoli is a perfect example of how to run succesfully a small club, and so is Pontedera, they both grow young talents and they have zero financial problems. Pisa has had new owners for the last 2 seasons, they pay everything that needs to be paid always in advance - they're not football people, so they are a bit naif, but they are learning. Livorno's owner is Spinelli, a solid guy who has been in Italian football world for the last 40 years or so (he was Genoa's owner before buying Livorno). He's tired and wants to sell, but he can't find anybody who buys. But we can't say Livorno has financial problems. Then we come to Lucchese, and here yes we are in trouble, the club provided its fee to the league with a fake money transfer, now they have to provide a new one shortly or they risk ending up like Pro Piacenza. In my opinion, they will somehow keep playing till the end of the season (but I could be wrong) then fold at the end of the season. This would be the 4th time they fold in the last 10 years or so, obviously something is wrong there. But it doesn't matter how close geographically clubs are, it matters how they are run. Start getting rid of the rotten apples, and you will probably save the basket.

Dizi, griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  2. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1177 GumbyG, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    I know it's MLS preseason and all, and Toronto is playing on an unfamiliar surface. But dang, the ways in which they are sucking against Independiente are manifold and epic in every proportion. Colorado is embarrassed they play in the same league.

And seriously, Vanney, Auro as a RB/8? Where have we seen that before? :rolleyes::D

Edit: Am I the only one having trouble with the yahoo stream, or is the Toronto FO jamming it for everyone?

Winoman repped this.
  3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  4. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So Toronto got slammed 4-0 in the CCL opener vs a Panamian team, I didn't see the game but I can easily imagine Bradley trotting on the field without construct nor intent.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  5. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great shot by Beasley for the 0-1 away Houston win. Kudos also to Houston fans, present in good number.

Dizi, John L, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  6. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody on TFC played well. Just too slow, too precious with the ball. The earth's magnetic poles switch fields faster. Always second to the free ball, slow to anticipate on defense, lines were messy, passing wasn't sharp. Use of the RB/8 strategy... well, they don't have the personnel, and they were a step slow, so they were never on the front foot. Ciman was just terrible. Missed a PK, no productive interchange in their final third. Four goals conceded. I mean, nothing good. Literally nothing good for TFC to take from this game.

One mitigating factor: I've never seen a soccer ball bounce quite like it did in that game on several occasions. Independiente never seemed caught off-guard when that happened, which was something of an advantage for them.

The difference between TFC and Houston was stark. Now, Independiente played a direct, high-pressure game. Houston had more time on the ball, but they didn't make it look like they needed it. I only caught the first half of that one, but passing was sharp, I thought. They worked the ball pretty well, created good chances and the scoreline was deserved.

fatbastard and asitis repped this.
  7. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    The TFC team that just got beat down is essentially the same one that pounded by Vegas 5-1. Its going to be a long season in Toronto. Hope their captain can hold them together.

8. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That's weird. I'm hoping the opposite.

Winoman and Theopisa repped this.
  9. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    So was I, the lack of a sarcasm font hurts my sense of humor. I was totally taking a swipe at Bradley, because I don't think he can.

10. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC is going to be a nightmare matchup this year. They just completely played Toluca off the pitch. By the end, it was like watching bees swarm a predator.

11. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't get Atlanta, they are two goals down, about 20 minutes to go, and they are trotting on the field like it was a friendly. Herediano is one of the toughest team to play, although this year they are not doing well so far, they have been one of the best Costarican teams in recent years - possibly the best. And they have already played probably some 6 - 7 games in their league. Still, Atlanta looks completely gassed. Did you want De Boer? Here he is.

12. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I have a feeling DeBoer isn't going to last the season and I also have a feeling Vanney isn't going to last until the All Star Break.

13. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta had a new coach, first game vs a team in mid-season form, no Almiron and on the road.

Recipe for a bad game.

I'd be surprised if they don't seal the deal with the second leg.

14. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arthur Blank: "Yeah, I said I wanted a beer. Wanted. A. Beer. Hey, shouldn't Tata be on the sideline?"

15. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We shall see, Costarican teams always kick @SS.

16. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Just in case you did not know enough about it, this video is spot on.

Winoman repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    If you have been watching the US women's team play Japan in the SheBelieves Cup at Phil Union stadium, take a good look at the plain white jerseys Japan is wearing. Thats the typical MLS Away Jersey.

Winoman repped this.
  19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yuck - they make your body look funky (especially on the women, but I assume on the men as well, we'll see)

20. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    So I haven't found any news, but there's a quote floating around today from Garth Lageway, the GM for the Sounders, who is alleged to have said, “Unlike the Galaxy, we’re only allowed 3 DPs”.

Are they getting away with it?

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  21. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where is Atlanta playing?? Not the Dome but neither the original stadium where they played at...

22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Found it! Fifth Third Bank Stadium, it's not even properly in Atlanta.

23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick, someone inform the media, before it's too late.

24. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well, Atlanta has hung 4 on Morelia so far. Looks like the slump is over.

25. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Herediano, not Morelia.

asitis