2018 [Insert Crew USL-Affiliate Here] & Other USL Happenings Thread [R, WATCH YOUR BACK]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Feb 18, 2018.

1. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United_Soccer_League_2015_logo.svg.png

Put all your Riverhounds (they're our affiliate, yeah?) and general USL nonsense here because I told you to.

Just to get all y'all up to date:
    • The Little D2 League That Could will feature 33(!!) clubs for the 2018 season.
      • The league welcomes expansion sides Atlanta United 2, Fresno FC, Las Vegas Lights FC, and Nashville SC, as well as NASL dropouts Indy Eleven and North Carolina FC.
      • As for exits, Orlando City B and the Rochester Rhinos will be watching from the sidelines this year, and Vancouver Whitecaps 2 were shuttered by their MLS overlords.
      • Harrisburg City Islanders have rebranded to Penn FC (booooooo!).
    • The league structure will remain the same, with teams split into two conferences: [​IMG]
    • Real Monarchs are the reigning Supporters’ Shield holders, and Louisville City FC are the defending cup champions.
    • I still miss the Dayton Dutch Lions (in the USL).

Tobias C repped this.
  2. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Riverhounds news, the team finally updated their brand, unveiling a new crest:
    [​IMG]

While not as charming as the old logo, I think it's an improvement. It kinda reminds me of something, although I can't quite put my finger on it...

Tobias C repped this.
  3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    All hail Las Vegas Lights and their trial player Freddy Adu.

Tobias C and chr1st repped this.
  4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I think I saw on 60 minutes that he may turn into one of the world's top players some day. Lucky Vegas.

5. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprising about the Rhinos. They won the flipping Open Cup within the last twenty years.

7. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    966469262511607809 is not a valid tweet id

And there it is; no USL affiliate for the Crew.

Can't say I'm upset we lost the Riverhounds but you'd think it would be beneficial to have a designated team to work with in D2 for loans.

8. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s absurd to not have a D2 affiliate.
    Is this another way Prec**t and his lapdog Laugh-lane are screwing the Crew?
    Or is there a non-conspiracy reason?

Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    There are 33 USL teams this year. I'm surprised we couldn't make a deal with Indy or Cincy if we lost Pittsburgh for some reason.

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so disappointing. This is crucial to long term player development. Any team that doesnt own its second team isnt really taking development serious

11. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From one of the above posts, didn't Vancouver and Orlando shut down their reserve teams?

I'm not saying I disagree. But I'm not surprised, with the team's status in limbo, I'm sure that makes it more difficult.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  12. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Orlando B is sitting out the 2018 season while the club decides how it wants to approach the future. Vancouver was shut down due to a lack of fan interest (and probably cost). Montreal also folded their USL team, FC Montreal, in 2016.

I think there are a number of reasons why the Crew doesn't have a second team:
    1. The walking sack of human excrement that owns the team never had any intention of staying in Columbus, so he didn't want to throw resources at USL team that would be obsolete in the near term.
    2. The trustfund douchebag doesn't have enough play money from his dear pop-pop to bankroll a USL team on top of his MLS squad.
    As for not having an affiliate, I think it comes down to Gigi not having a lot of confidence in the USL teams and their commitment to playing our guys or coaching them up to fit Berhalter's style. That being said, I think there's less of a chance our guys will get good minutes when they go out on loan if we don't have some sort of formal agreement with the club.

13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems odd, since many seem to think Cbus is a total cashcow...

As far as players getting less time, i disagree. Berhalter can find a team where a player will fill a need, and not just have them ride the pine cause pitt has some crap journeyman starting instead.

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm glad we don't have an affiliate. We're a shit show right now and no USL team deserves the nonsense FratAss is selling.

15. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #15 Draghignazzo, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    I also wonder if they weren't turned down by the USL teams because of the instability.

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Are there MLS teams with multiple USL affiliates? Since there are more USL teams than MLS teams, I would have thought any USL team would want a partnership with an MLS side. Maybe PSV doesn't want to spend money on it?

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, didnt the league mandate a year or two ago that all mls teams must affiliate with an usl team?

18. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Lulz. League "rules".

puttputtfc repped this.
  19. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought this was the case as well......but yeah....MLS gonna MLS.

20. Salvadanish

Salvadanish Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    To my knowledge it's only happened once, with Sacramento Republic's debut season (2014). They made an agreement with Portland (I believe the owners were mutually acquainted), but the San Jose FO whined about not being able to affiliate with their natural neighbor, so SRFC wound up with two affiliations that season. Worked out pretty well for them though, especially for Jake Gleeson (now Portland's starting GK).

Funny - I would never have seen this question had I not been following the Save The Crew saga ...

Draghignazzo, POdinCowtown and chr1st repped this.
  21. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 chr1st, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    If he held up his end, they should buy him out. Probably not too expensive, maybe just moving costs and a couple weeks salary.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may have been signed to a futures (MLS) contract, however, as well as a USL one. There's a reason the MLS Players Union is involved here

24. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not that I was going to become an FCC fan anyway, but yeah disappointing.

However, the comments on that tweet led me to a great nickname for FCC should then end up in Newport. Should that happen, they will be known as KFC!
    981218830100910082 is not a valid tweet id

That's good stuff right there.

chr1st repped this.
  25. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodness, I hope, once we StC, the new owner builds a better player development program. We're getting left in the dust.

Maybe the New Crew could buy the Dayton Dynamo or sumfin' and go D3? I would not hate that.

Tobias C repped this.